Login Search

RIP, Dick Butkus

Last Post

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyTheGoat View Post
Haha, don't think I've seen that one.

The great Pat Summerall on the call.
Man has the kicking game changed over the years. Those straight on kickers died off , then we had a few barefoot goofballs and now the kickers are kicking 55-60+ regularly.

ya pat summerall was a classic for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by DwightShrute View Post
Man has the kicking game changed over the years. Those straight on kickers died off , then we had a few barefoot goofballs and now the kickers are kicking 55-60+ regularly.

My opinion = anytime there is significant $$ in play, that specialty will attract more talent.

The Kickers (and Punters) are miles ahead of the old-time kickers. Have seen the statistics, have seen the videos.

Jan Stenerud wouldn't make a roster in 2023. Same for Morten Andersen, he wouldn't have the distance.

In 2023, NFL kickers are making > 70% of their attempts from 50+. Changes the Offensive Play-calling. Why risk the 4th down when the FG is close to a sure thing?
Give Points

Points Awarded:

DwightShrute gave ChuckyTheGoat 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Quote Originally Posted by DwightShrute View Post

It’s an absolute weapon now. The margins are so slim in winning/losing. I remember when banging a 40 yarder was pressure packed, that’s expected now. They will cut your ass fast. As you said, guys come in and smoke 50 yard field goals no sweat. Hell, even the punters. I went to the Michigan game in Nebraska last week and the Michigan punter may be the best player on the team. He kicks the ball a mile in the fukking sky and long. By time it lands anywhere there are 10 Michigan players surrounding it.
Last edited by mjsuax13; 10-06-23 at 07:22 AM.

He was labeled “ The most feared man in the game”.
When you were young and talked about middle linebackers someone would mention Sam Huff or Ray Nitschke who were both great and the first thing you would hear is
“ what about Dick Butkus.”

What a legend he was.