Login Search

The greatest player of our lifetime hits an elementary school with a HR Monday

Last Post

he is absolutely incredible, no doubt about it. but i often wonder if Bryce Harper had been picked #25 and Trout #1, if the pressure would have gotten to Trout. going #1 in most team sports comes with so much pressure to perform and it is almost untenable because the bar is raised so high. Lebron James and Magic Johnson two of the only #1's in team sports history to win 4 or more titles, maybe Kareem Jabbar too, but those are all basketball players.

NFL, MLB, NHL, it is very difficult to live up the hype. Sidney Crosby and Eric Lindros? were they both #1 picks? sidney has had an incredible career and Lindros did not win a cup from what i remember but he was still a tremendous hockey player with a better career than 95% of people who played the game.

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
Does a 500 feet HR with no one on base get more runs than a 330 feet HR with no one on base?
No.

And like I say to these geeks bigger than this geek, what's the big deal with exit velo when a ball hit 344 feet clears a 340 foot fence is hit softer than a ball that travels 444 feet over the same aforementioned fence?

A HR that clears a fence is still a HR no matter how hard it's hit or how far it travels.
Tell me where I'm wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
all time great
This is one of the hardest hit most crushed ball I have ever seen.
Look at the KC infielders faces as Trout rounds the bases. They're stunned.

Great call too.

"Gone, and I mean gone"
"That's Bo Jackson territory"

Watch this twice if you have to.
What's scary is the swing is effortless.

Quote Originally Posted by homie1975 View Post
he is absolutely incredible, no doubt about it. but i often wonder if Bryce Harper had been picked #25 and Trout #1, if the pressure would have gotten to Trout. going #1 in most team sports comes with so much pressure to perform and it is almost untenable because the bar is raised so high. Lebron James and Magic Johnson two of the only #1's in team sports history to win 4 or more titles, maybe Kareem Jabbar too, but those are all basketball players.

NFL, MLB, NHL, it is very difficult to live up the hype. Sidney Crosby and Eric Lindros? were they both #1 picks? sidney has had an incredible career and Lindros did not win a cup from what i remember but he was still a tremendous hockey player with a better career than 95% of people who played the game.
Well that's kinds skewed.

NBA only has 5 dudes on the court at a time.

MLB requires all 25 men every 3 game series

NFL all 60 for each half

NHL there's 4 lines

NBA the same guy gets to touch the ball or attempt a score every possession.

Quote Originally Posted by homie1975 View Post

crosby ovechkin two the greatest players to ever lace up skates. Connor McDavid will have an amazing career too. Guy is a bullet on the ice.

Lots of great number 1 picks in sports, but at the end of the day, some players are obsessed with legacy, others are just glad to have a stable career where they can retire by 32 years old.

Trout needs to play with better players plain and simple. His time will run out soon if not. He needs to be a better leader in recruiting guys, like Tom Brady or Lebron James do.

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
Well that's kinds skewed.

NBA only has 5 dudes on the court at a time.

MLB requires all 25 men every 3 game series

NFL all 60 for each half

NHL there's 4 lines

NBA the same guy gets to touch the ball or attempt a score every possession.
Minner, I agree with you. The NBA players have much more control over the game with only having to share the ball with 4 other doods on court and really only one or two other guys on the court at the same time who can really score also.

This is why so many #1 picks in the NBA have panned out compared to #1 picks in other sports which are more about the overall strength of the team as opposed to the NBA with so few players on the court.

I am a HUGE fan of Trout but also a HUGE fan of Bryce Harper also. After decades of not following the sports since the early 80's Bill Madlock and Bob Boone days, Trout and Harper got me back into beisbol. Supreme talents.