Login Search

A Falcons Win Would Give NFL Favs A 14-0 Sweep This Week (ESPN Wrong?)

Last Post

Green Dollar A Falcons Win Would Give NFL Favs A 14-0 Sweep This Week (ESPN Wrong?)

With a win tonight, Falcons would cap a perfect 14-0 week for favorites.

Since the 1970 merger, favorites have won every game during an NFL week only twice--Week 9 of 2005 and Week 5 of 2006--per @ESPNStatsInfo.

David Payne Purdum @davidpurdum

Quote Originally Posted by Hman View Post
Were a couple of games pick'em?
I was going to say your stat must be about favorites winning the game, not necessarily covering, and also it depends on whether you count the opener, closer, or most of the trades that took place.

For example, Kansas City opened as a 1 point favorite but traded as an underdog for the vast majority of the time before we saw a pick at many houses.

But the stat really goes awry when you realize that Seattle, at some places, never traded as an Underdog or a pickem, they were favored the entire time.

Seattle didn't win or cover.

The every favorite won stat is not holding water, particularly when considering Las Vegas originators and bookmakers.

Give Points

Points Awarded:

johnnyvegas13 gave KVB 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
I was going to say your stat must be about favorites winning the game, not necessarily covering, and also it depends on whether you count the opener, closer, or most of the trades that took place.

For example, Kansas City opened as a 1 point favorite but traded as an underdog for the vast majority of the time before we saw a pick at many houses.

But the stat really goes awry when you realize that Seattle, at some places, never traded as an Underdog or a pickem, they were favored the entire time.

Seattle didn't win or cover.

The every favorite won stat is not holding water, particularly when considering Las Vegas originators and bookmakers.

ESPN sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Hman View Post
ESPN sucks

I tend to agree.

By about lunchtime Monday, last week, the Chargers were favored by 1 over KC at Will Hill and that NEVER changed; the Chargers closed as 1 point favorites...they lost.

I would imagine this year is on pace to be one of the worst ever for books. The faves ats have crushed, in particular, the most lopsided public plays. Also, there have been very few true upsets. Teasing faves down has been a gold mine. How many 7-8 pt dogs have won outright? Very very few

Dont get me wrong, books will still win because of the vig and volume but revenue has to be way down