Login Search

crypto currency discussion

Last Post

Quote Originally Posted by brainfreeze View Post
leave litecoin be chucky ... lee is putting himself in a bad position with marketing, public relations, and direction.

https://www.reddit.com/r/litecoin/co...the_criticism/
OK, Freezer. I've watched a few Lee interviews. Nice enuf guy, and plenty bright.

A little quiet. Not what I'd envision as head of an emerging market.
Give Points

Points Awarded:

brainfreeze gave ChuckyTheGoat 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyTheGoat View Post
Got a question re: LiteCoin (and other Crypto-currencies):

* The list of merchants that accept LiteCoin has to grow at some point, right?

I know this is in the embryonic stage. Charlie Lee was quoted (in dated video) that only 500 merchants accepted LiteCoin worldwide. If that # doesn't get bigger, how is LiteCoin viable?
Yeah, it's a minefield out there. At present there's about 900 alt coins. 800 of them will end up worthless.

When I do due diligence on a new coin, the very first question I ask its Slack/Reddit is, "How is this coin better than Bitcoin?" If the only answers that come back point to Bitcoin's current scaling problems (as in, "we're faster and cheaper than Bitcoin"), I get wary.

Bitcoin's scaling issues will get solved -- eventually -- and these other coins haven't had to deal with scaling yet: if they got hit with the kind of traffic BTC generates in a day, their infrastructures would completely collapse.

Litecoin right now is taking advantage of Bitcoin's spiralling fees to position itself as "the perfect coin for micro-transactions," except, to be honest, I can't think of a single person I know who's actually used it for that purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by brooks85 View Post
it's never going to happen on any scale especially since the big banks have already said they are going to copy it. So when users are given the option to buy bitcoin or just simply use their bank account, they will use their bank account. Consumers are a like water, they take the path of least resistance.

Also never going to happen for the same reason no one pays with gold coins when the bill comes.
I second Ace7550's opinion: this is already happening. For the last year plus, I've paid for everything in my life with bitcoin: from rent, to bars and restaurants, to clothes (business and casual) to bills to travel. Literally everything.

I just use a debit card, which anybody can get for ten bucks at Bitpay.com. Then you can transfer BTC into dollars onto your card in literally a couple of minutes, from any phone. You can use the card everywhere V I S A is accepted -- so basically everywhere -- or, if you prefer, withdraw the money in dollars from any ATM.

The tech already exists, we just need to get the word out to more good folks like yourself!
Give Points

Points Awarded:

firekillex gave MeanPeopleSuck 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Quote Originally Posted by ace7550 View Post
So with the bitpay.com option you are basically selling your btc for usd and then the usd ends up on this card that you make transactions with?
What it sounds like ... the thing is speed and fees... ether is collabing with zcash to implement something like a secure " lightening network " the will move tons of transactions every second. They have raiden with sharding and different developments to transition smooth transactions over a blockchain (as long as everything goes as planned).

talking about ether ... welcome back 300

Quote Originally Posted by MeanPeopleSuck View Post
I second Ace7550's opinion: this is already happening. For the last year plus, I've paid for everything in my life with bitcoin: from rent, to bars and restaurants, to clothes (business and casual) to bills to travel. Literally everything.

I just use a debit card, which anybody can get for ten bucks at Bitpay.com. Then you can transfer BTC into dollars onto your card in literally a couple of minutes, from any phone. You can use the card everywhere V I S A is accepted -- so basically everywhere -- or, if you prefer, withdraw the money in dollars from any ATM.

The tech already exists, we just need to get the word out to more good folks like yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by ace7550 View Post
I agree it's difficult to imagine a world where everyone is paying with btc. However, if you are a btc fan and want to use it instead of usd it's pretty easy. I use my shift card often. I can use it anywhere that accepts V*sa and it takes btc out of my coinbase account and gives the merchant usd.
"Consumers are like water." So true.

are there no fees involved in that process?

but why would consumers go through those steps when they can just use what is working like their current debit/credit card?

Quote Originally Posted by TheSideBet View Post
I feel like I robbed a damn bank with ETH at 217 the other day. Going in now to reset some orders and make sure I adjust with the big jump up to 300+ tonight.
i'm hoping it gets to 360 my break even point for my 5 .Bought 45 litecoins at 28 so that is golden. I plan on holding for 5 years til my nephew goes to college. That way it will cover couple years.

Doesn't it kinda feel like we got hosed a little bit today by the financial media? Shouldn't the locking in of SegWit have been a bigger deal for places like Bloomberg and CNBC?
Definitely got hosed on BTC. Let's hope we get that big jump in the next two weeks. Any thoughts on another NEO spike with the conference tomorrow or did we see it already?