Login Search

Are People actually Dumb enough to believe the NBA is Rigged?

Last Post

Here we are, 9 pages later with nothing changed. The proponents of every single game being pure and honest continue to go to the extreme end of the spectrum, never deviating from the same argument, nor listening or allowing any thought to enter but the same old shit they want to spew. It has to be that every single game is fixed and every single player, referee, coach, owner, league employee etc. is involved...no middle ground here. That's all I'm hearing, it's all or nothing and impossible to be done without every component of the NBA a part of it.

Well maybe that's because hardly a single game goes by where the conspiracy gurus aren't whining about a fix. If they weren't crying wolf all the time, based on hollow, circumstantial evidence, it might be a little easier to digest the crap they're trying to shovel down our throats.

In the just the short lifespan of this very thread we've witnessed two rigged NBA games:

Game 3 Spurs/Thunder... Evidence: Ibaka returned from a calf injury and played well. He even block some shots and stuff.

Game 5 Heat/Pacers... Evidence: Lebron James got into foul trouble.

So this is the type of people you have championing the rigged side of the story. You can't reason with them. Nevermind the fact that if Bosh's three point attempt falls, Lebron's foul trouble is moot and the Heat win anyways... They'll just tell you he missed it on purpose, or worse, the remotely controlled digital rim was made smaller.

Everyone's a detective.

Quote Originally Posted by akphidelt View Post
Serious question, are people actually dumb enough to believe that the NBA rigs games? I hear people say it, and I'm not sure if they seriously believe it or not because it is so stupid. I personally call it gambler's paranoia... because only a degenerate gambler can believe in such silly conspiracy theories. And yea, some international 3rd world country soccer was fixed and college basketball players where players make $0 threw games were rigged... but the NBA? A multi billion dollar global business? And please don't mention Bernie Madoff or Enron as if every business in the world is corrupt and those were the only ones that got caught. Just uneducated nonsense.

What would the logistics even be? Stern or Silver who make millions of dollars a year going to refs and telling them to fix a game? They are millionaires controlling a billion dollar organization... none of them would put that liability on themselves unless they were mentally insane. Even the one ref who was caught being a degenerate gambler had absolutely no evidence on the NBA fixing games. He had no evidence of Stern or any high level official telling them to fix a game a certain way, he had no juicy information of Vegas CEO's coming through and telling them to fix games, or the mafia, or millions of dollars exchanging hands. He dealt with low level local gamblers and provided them crap information about what refs felt like about players or coaches.

Absolutely nothing of value. Be honest, for those of you guys who believe the NBA is fixed... how many of you own an armadillo helmet?
It is rigged on level with professional wrestling. Anyone who thinks otherwise has teir head buried so far up their azz that they will never see daylight.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemca View Post
I don't think there is some grand conspiracy to fix all the games but I do think the refs are waaaay to big of a factor.They decide how the game will be played out.
You nailed it. I had the under last night, so no dog in the fight, but by calling it tight on Lebron and him ending up with 5 fouls early after he probably gets less fouls called on him than any player in the league all but secured a Pacers victory and extending it to game 6 and more ad revenue money for the league. Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Indeep View Post
You nailed it. I had the under last night, so no dog in the fight, but by calling it tight on Lebron and him ending up with 5 fouls early after he probably gets less fouls called on him than any player in the league all but secured a Pacers victory and extending it to game 6 and more ad revenue money for the league. Hmmm.
Brooklyn is a pretty decent sized market isn't it? That series went 5 and the Heat stole 2 games that the refs could've saved for the Nets. Nice try though

Eddy Munny you are a silly excuse for someone who claims to have an advanced degree or be an actuary. Or maybe I am just confusing you with the other poster here who tried to scare me about stats when I use that for a living.

One thing common I see is that these fools who dream that these games are not rigged never ever refute any of the information provided

You believe in Stats. Donoughe was winning over 80 percent of his bets based on knowing the relationships of refs owners and players. How much std deviation is that from the avg win percentage for bettors.

Not a piece of your small mind allows you to at least question or assume that there has to be some exogenous factors involved. Beyond sports being rigged there is something tiring about arguing with people whose mind is set and have little flexibility to change their views

I wonder how many people here actually have real college degrees let alone advanced degrees from big or real universities. I am sorry but Phoenix university may not be considered.

By the way being an actuary has never been synonymous with good reasoning logic as we can all see in this thread. Nobody said every game is fixed. It's probably a tiny percentage but it's the ones that matter where all the stats in the world point one way and the outcomes just make you wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by IamsoBurnt View Post
Youtube game 6 lakers vs kings 2002 I think the year was explains it all
Youtube San Antonio and Detroit in the NBA Finals. What year was that, 2005 I think? Two tiny market cities playing in the most boring Finals of all time. But yeah, the league definitely rigged it to be that way. I have no doubt there are some corrupt refs, heck even some corrupt owners and coaches. But there's no way the entire league is fixed.

Who was that guy that had the theory that Michael Jordan was suspended from the NBA in secret for 2 years, and that's why he left to play baseball? That was one of my favorites. Every time there's a two point game, rigged. When the favorite wins by 20, crickets.

Quote Originally Posted by IamsoBurnt View Post
There's a ref Tim Donahue or whatever how u spell his name he was once a nba ref and nba is rigged and btw I took the over 183.5 in heat vs pacers game 5 final 90-93 like how do they know to make the total so close and the players can't make a free throw in the end ..and y in the hell did lebron James kicked it out to bosh had a nice lay up but faked
Do you recall how the game was a clear under the whole way until a blowout 4th quarter to actually get it close to the listed total? Hell, I took over 162 on a live bet midway thru the 3rd quarter. One thing I will say is this, your bookie must've phoned into the refs that your $5 over bet couldn't hit because you bet it. The refs then called a timeout to tell west that he had to miss the free throws because they couldn't let little lamsocunt win his bet. LMAO.