Login Search

Atlanta to get MLS team

Last Post

Default Atlanta to get MLS team

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer...224900196.html

Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank has officially been awarded an MLS team that will begin play in 2017. This will push the size of the league to 22 teams, with four scheduled enter the league over the next few years — New York City FC and Orlando City in 2015, Atlanta in 2017 and David Beckham's Miami team yet to be determined.
Though this burst of expansion is an exciting show of the league's growth, the stadium situations for each new club are less than ideal. After making an odd attempt at a grand entrance by landing in a helicopter, MLS commissioner Don Garber announced that the Atlanta team will share the Falcons' new stadium, using a new "downsizing technology" to shrink the 70,000-seat, $1.2 billion stadium to a more intimate 29,000 seats for soccer once it is completed. It will have artificial turf, but Blank vowed that the American football lines would not be visible on the field, which drew the biggest cheer of the announcement.

MLS is expanding too fast, especially as they feature a profit sharing model (Chivas already failed and the league had to take over the team). That's 3 more teams--Orlando, another in NY, and now another in Atlanta. Not sure MLS is going to take off in Orlando or Atlanta, and is the market really that big for soccer that NY can support two teams? I don't think so.

This is a good move for MLS. The clubs are taking root where the top youth clubs have been flourishing. Soccer is big in those areas which all have money. Girls soccer is good indicator because it shows where the most interest is. Not only are they boys power teams but girls ball there. Its not an exact science but if So Cal is the biggest market. New York can definitely support two teams considering Jersey is where Red bulls are. NJ could support their own team. I don't like the New England Revs deal. Those states would latch on to their own club but I guess too risky to make it a Boston team.

You can see there is big interest around Atlanta and Orlando. Miami wants to be So Cal but I dont see it. Thats the biggest IF on the list IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by b1slickguy View Post
MLS won't become a real league without promotion and relegation.
I personally like relegation for all sports. It has that ncaa tourney feel to it. Small schools win by just making it to that second season. But I think the biggest obstacle is the salary cap. It's going to keep the league from bringing in top players and therefore be seen as inferior. They already made a mess with Beckham rules. Just open it up. As it fills in from the top relegation can be looked at but thats gotta be years away right? I mean, who would watch 2nd tier MLS??

Quote Originally Posted by High3rEl3m3nt View Post
Bill, it's not good for MLS. The league needs to slowly grow and this is way too fast and the handful of teams that are making profit, are going to have to try and float these teams in markets that are already saturated with professional sports.
I didn't follow the league early on so correct me but did any of these owners come in to make a little bit of money this early? They are in for the next 20 years when soccer is 10 fold and the value is off the charts. They are betting on the sport. NBA and NFL owners made a mint by buying in before popularity took off.

Quote Originally Posted by High3rEl3m3nt View Post
Again, So Cal is not big enough to support two teams. Ever watch a Chivas game? MLS is trying to save this team and at the expense of the other teams.
Quick search says Chivas attendance is up second highest 20% over last year behind Toronto. You think it's a size thing or mgt? Seems like a Lakers/Clippers situation. At least in NY the teams wont be on top of each other. They wont share a stadium (so Im told).

I don't think you can compare the actions of previous nba and nfl owners with the current situation of MLS owners wanting to buy in early, as the current sports markets have been carved out and they are more competitive than ever.

The single worst thing that MLS could do is grow the league too fast and risk taking several steps backwards in terms of the overall product and fans' ability to keep up pace. As it stands, MLS faces some significant challenges in its season overlapping at both ends with significant sporting events. The NBA season winds down and the playoffs begin, the NHL playoffs begin, and the MLB season begins all in the early stages of the MLS season. During the heart of the season, MLS only has to compete with MLB, but then it consistently shoots itself in the foot, because players are off on international duty and there's conacaaf play. Then, when the season nears and enters into the playoffs, football starts, half of the league has no chance to make the playoffs--talent disparity is huge, the MLB enters it playoffs, NHL season starts soon, and the NBA is not far off.

Last MLS playoffs were terrible with the insane break in between play. Two weeks before the second leg of a playoff in the late fall is momentum killer. I enjoy MLS and have followed the league closely for 3 years--gambling certainly helped to further my interest in the league.

I suppose if sports gambling become legal in the states, it could be the single best thing to happen to MLS, the WNBA, and other, smaller leagues.