Login Search

Here's Why Floyd Mayweather is So Hard to Beat....

Last Post

Default Here's Why Floyd Mayweather is So Hard to Beat....

After watching a the last three fights this guy had I can easily say when it comes to the pyschological aspect and the ring movement aspect of boxing this guy should get a pHd. I have never seen someone use ring space so wisely and so fluidly like Mayweather does....EVER.

He made me dizzy just watching him slip in and out of different areas of the ring. I can imagine his opponents get really dizzy just trying to square him up.

Plus Mayweather knows how to hit a fighter when he is in an unorthodox stance and time it just right when the opponent least expects to get hit. I have seen none better other than Roy Jones Jr. in his prime at being able to do this. Mayweather seemed to throw hard right crosses while he was in a stance that looked like he was gonna throw left handed jabs....you never see any other fighters do this. His hand speed and elusiveness let him get away with it too without being countered.

Now we all know that could lead to some dirty shots (ie-what Floyd did to Victor Ortiz in 2011 with that sucker punch) but all in all Floyd has won most of his matches pretty fairly.

So what kind of fighter will it take to beat Floyd Mayweather and how can someone outsmart this guy?

In order to outsmart Floyd Mayweather Jr. you have to know his mindset in the ring as a boxer. Most boxers don't know this and are immediately at a disadvantage. Floyd Mayweather has a "counterintuitive mindset" in the ring. That is he is ALWAYS DEFENDING FIRST and ATTACKING SECOND. Most boxers are trained and naturally approach their opponent the other way around.....they look to ATTACK and inflict damage FIRST and EVADE AND BLOCK second. FLloyd knows this and basically trains his whole game to counter act these natural opponent instincts.

Well like in baseball, if you're a hitter who is struggling to hit certain pitches....you have to make adjustments. Stop coming at Floyd like Guerrero did tonight and Miguel Cotto usually do. You cannot corner this man unless he lets you so why even bother? Stick and move.....stick and move....elude his attacks. Do NOT try to be the aggressor.

Only boxers who have both a better reach advantage and very fast hands can give Floyd Mayweather Jr. trouble. That is a rare combination indeed in the sports sad to say. This type of boxer has to wait to Floyd comes to him....and has to study tape on when to hit Floyd as he is trying to stand upright after one of his slippery ducking sessions. If he can time that he can rock Mayweather and throw him off his game.

Quote Originally Posted by NYSportsGuy210 View Post
After watching a the last three fights this guy had I can easily say when it comes to the pyschological aspect and the ring movement aspect of boxing this guy should get a pHd. I have never seen someone use ring space so wisely and so fluidly like Mayweather does....EVER.

He made me dizzy just watching him slip in and out of different areas of the ring. I can imagine his opponents get really dizzy just trying to square him up.

Plus Mayweather knows how to hit a fighter when he is in an unorthodox stance and time it just right when the opponent least expects to get hit. I have seen none better other than Roy Jones Jr. in his prime at being able to do this. Mayweather seemed to throw hard right crosses while he was in a stance that looked like he was gonna throw left handed jabs....you never see any other fighters do this. His hand speed and elusiveness let him get away with it too without being countered.

Now we all know that could lead to some dirty shots (ie-what Floyd did to Victor Ortiz in 2011 with that sucker punch) but all in all Floyd has won most of his matches pretty fairly.

So what kind of fighter will it take to beat Floyd Mayweather and how can someone outsmart this guy?

In order to outsmart Floyd Mayweather Jr. you have to know his mindset in the ring as a boxer. Most boxers don't know this and are immediately at a disadvantage. Floyd Mayweather has a "counterintuitive mindset" in the ring. That is he is ALWAYS DEFENDING FIRST and ATTACKING SECOND. Most boxers are trained and naturally approach their opponent the other way around.....they look to ATTACK and inflict damage FIRST and EVADE AND BLOCK second. FLloyd knows this and basically trains his whole game to counter act these natural opponent instincts.

Well like in baseball, if you're a hitter who is struggling to hit certain pitches....you have to make adjustments. Stop coming at Floyd like Guerrero did tonight and Miguel Cotto usually do. You cannot corner this man unless he lets you so why even bother? Stick and move.....stick and move....elude his attacks. Do NOT try to be the aggressor.

Only boxers who have both a better reach advantage and very fast hands can give Floyd Mayweather Jr. trouble. That is a rare combination indeed in the sports sad to say. This type of boxer has to wait to Floyd comes to him....and has to study tape on when to hit Floyd as he is trying to stand upright after one of his slippery ducking sessions. If he can time that he can rock Mayweather and throw him off his game.

I think the way to fight floyd is to be more defensive than him on the outside. Be very patient even to the point where people think its boring. Floyds mental game is strong, but even he knows he is on the hook for the performance, so he will eventually come at you. Its not like he is a combo puncher or power puncher of any kind. Attacking him doesnt work. Make him come to you and punch where he will be, not where he is.

Mayweather has been boxing since birth. He has seen all sorts of styles. Several fighters have tried to stay on the outside and he just out punches them until eventually they have to catch up. His hand speed is too fast and his accuracy/defense is top notch. Good luck trying to out score him.

The only way I see someone beating him is to dirty up the fight by clinching, grabbing and lunging with your head. Get him frustrated so that he may get rattled. Head butt that may lead to a cut or something. Outside of fouling him or doing something illegal, I don't see a way to beat him at that weight.

Father time is probably the only thing that will get the best of him eventually.

I think Shady610 and MacLyfe make some good points. However this Guerrero guy had the heart and will to after Floyd....just not the proper reach or the hand speed. If there is a boxer out there that can be patient like Shady610 said and has the fast hand speed, power like Guerrero and a distinct reach advantage against Floyd he can possibly outscore and frustrate Floyd.

Remember Floyd rarely throws combos....he just ducks in hooks once....weaves out, blocks....rinse repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by shady610 View Post
I think the way to fight floyd is to be more defensive than him on the outside. Be very patient even to the point where people think its boring. Floyds mental game is strong, but even he knows he is on the hook for the performance, so he will eventually come at you. Its not like he is a combo puncher or power puncher of any kind. Attacking him doesnt work. Make him come to you and punch where he will be, not where he is.
This is why nobody watches the fights no more pal. None of these turds have the killer instincts of the greats. Heard Tyson on Howard Stern a couple weeks ago and when he was asked why boxing is no longer popular and Tyson said, in paraphrase, these guys are afraid to get hurt and don't want to hurt anybody. He also gave credit to mma, which I'm not a huge fan of, for bringing back the killer instinct to the pugilistic arts. There's no bigger student or expert on the fight game than Tyson. If he says boxing sucks now, then it sucks. Case closed. I'm not gonna watch Floyd be a ballerina for an hour. Granted boxing is about hitting and not getting hit, but pitty patting a dude for 12 just enough to squeek by is disrespectful to the greats like Ali and Robinson whom gave there lives ultimately, to put on a great show.