originally posted on 04/10/2013:

Quote Originally Posted by SBR Forum View Post
Believe me there was some serious thought given to this. At the end of the day, you don't have to be very good to represent Yugoslavia in the Basketball Olympics, but to make the American team, you're the best of the best.

We did increase to 12 players in this year's format though.
I think it would be cleaner to field North/South/East/West US Teams to even out the teams a bit...might see potential problems with people changing their addresses, but I'd think it would be minimal.

Barring that, why not take the total prize pool (79,200 points) and award it to teams based on their populations? For example: if the USA has 75% of the players in the contest, distribute the final points so that the USA's rewards for 1st/2nd/3rd/4th are 4,950/3300/1650/990 respectively (weighted so USA can earn at max 75% of the prize pool). If the point awards are supposed to represent medals, than make a portion of prize pool fixed and the rest proportional. Just a thought to balance things up a bit, albeit probably too late for this year. Plus SBR could save some points if the largest population team didn't place well