Login Search

Bucs looking to deal for Javon walker

Last Post

Default Bucs looking to deal for Javon walker

http://blogs.tampabay.com/bucs/2008/...alk-trade.html

February 21, 2008
Bucs talk trade with Broncos for Walker

The Bucs have had discussions with the Denver Broncos about trading for receiver Javon Walker.

The Broncos have made no secret of their desire to part ways with Walker, who is owed an option bonus of $5.4-million March 4. Walker said at the end of the of the season that he wanted to find a 'better fit,' elsewhere.

Walker, 29, was hampered by a knee injury last season and played in just eight games, catching 26 passes for 287 yards and no touchdowns. But he has had 1,000-yard receiving seasons with the Broncos in 2006 and the Packers in '04.

The Bucs are looking to upgrade the receiver position. Joey Galloway will be 37 next season, Ike Hilliard will be 32 while Michael Clayton and Maurice Stovall had struggled to make a consistent impact.

Walker would give the Bucs a big target at 6-foot-3, 215 pounds that can work the middle of the field and make yards after the catch.

On Thursday during a break at the NFL scouting combine, general manager Bruce Allen would neither confirm nor deny the Bucs had talks with the Broncos about Walker.

""I couldn't say that,'' Allen said. ""I couldn't say one way or another.

""I'll neither confirm nor deny.''

Walker isn't the only player on the Bucs radar. Allen said the team is pursuing Falcons defensive tackle Rod Coleman and tight end Alge Crumpler. One or both players could visit the Bucs training facility sometime next week.

Allen met with Coleman's agent, Pat Dye, Jr., on Wednesday and will have talks with Crumpler's agent this weekend.

Allen predicted that Coleman could have a new team before the start of the free agent signing period Feb. 29.

Coleman, who has 58.5 career sacks, was plagued by an assortment of injuries last season and played in just five games before finishing the year on Injured Reserve.

But the Bucs are all too aware of how disruptive Coleman can be as a pass rusher and the Bucs are looking to put more pressure on the quarterback. Allen drafted Coleman with the Oakland Raiders in 1999.

""He's been quite a foe for us the last four years,'' Allen said. ""You've been to the games, you've noticed No. 75. We have talked to him. (His agent) is working out Rod's schedule where to do visits and physicals. We've just got to see where his health is and when Pat decides when to get serious.

""He's played very well against us. He has rushed our players...he is a good competitor. That's why he has a lot of interest and that's why we haven't heard when he's scheduled to visit yet.''

Crumpler has more than 4,000 career receiving yards and 35 touchdowns. Allen said he likes his ability to make plays down the field but said he also is a good blocker.

""I'll meet with them. (His agent) is coming here to meet with different teams and I should meet with him tomorrow.

""He's a very good weapon and he's made (four) Pro Bowls. Amazingly productive and a good all-around tight end. Not limited to one aspect.''

What Walker is recovering from should be all but gone by now. He had major major knee issues. I figured he'd be 95% or better last year - but bang, nagging injuries. He's a better WR when he isn't getting paid and isn't getting the respect and has someone riding his ass constantly.

I think Denver would be crazy to give up on him right now. I think he can return to form if he gets his head in shape. Tampa is smart if they can pick him off for a #4 pick... Maybe even a #3. I think he's a very good risk - he has gamebreaker ability, he just hasn't shown it in Denver due to injuries and residual effects from knee surgery.