Login Search

Hoops 2014

Last Post

Fading the Mildcats is nearly an auto-play right now. Yes, it's tough to win on the road in the Big Ten, and Illinois hasn't fared that well on the road this season (0-2-1 ATS; got waxed as 10-point dog in Madison this week, lost by 3 as +2 dog at Georgia Tech, pushed as -2 fave at UNLV), but this is the Welsh-Ryan Snakepit that we're talking about here. What with classes tomorrow, there should be as many Illini fans as NU fans for the 6:30 pm local tip. And so far as talent goes, yeah, Illinois got trucked in Madison just this week, but Wisky's managers could probably play for NU. Illinois will be motivated to get back on the court after being dismantled by the Badgers, and this is just the spot and opponent for them. Illini will take what they want and Mildcats won't be able to stop them.

Had some time this weekend while watching games and decided to work on revisions to my hoops model. Was so motivated that I created a smaller model just for totals (very simple; attempts to use Ken Pom's projection methodology with a few tweaks). It's similar to my baseball model without the overlays (e.g., stadium, ump, weather, adjustments based upon LHP/RHP SP, etc.). Will need to consider overlays later, though they are not as easy as baseball (have to find a way to overlay impact of zone defense for sure, though, as well as potential for minimal/excessive FTs).

Here are the projected totals from the new mini-model (total points to be scored; not what the posted total will be at books) for the five games tonight that interest me. I'm somewhat discouraged by the fact that all five are higher than Ken Pom's projections (though 3 of 5 are within 2 points), but Rome wasn't built in a day:

UT/WVU: 152.8
UVA/Duke: 133.5
CSU/YSU: 151.7
Cuse/BC: 134.5
KU/ISU: 159.4