Login Search

Sando's All Sports (NBA, AFL, NRL)

Last Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Gerry Mander View Post
Guys, what are your thoughts on:

Spurs -8
Kings +3.5
Man I was thinking about SAS -8 but I've decided to let Sando do the "math" and wait for his picks. I don't know if U saw my post earlier, guy is 2nd in basketball capers contest with 31-17-3

Quote Originally Posted by thorny View Post
Shotgun, if the fight draws out then I would have to agree that Bisping is in with a chance. I think Belfort will resort to grappling using Brazilian jiu-jitsu. Bisping hasn't won through submission in yonks. Apart from Evans he hasn't fought a big name. compared to Franklin, Couture, Liddell, Ortiz, Jones and Silva. He almost became the first fighter to get Jones to submit...that extra experience of fighting under pressure will prevail.

Like you said we'll see in 12 days. Been really trying to see your perspective but i still think Belfort has what it takes for a long fight.
Hey I had an absolutely terrible night last event so I'm certainly no authority, but I really can't see why Belfort is the favourite here at all.

My take is this;

MMA has 3 main areas of proficiency, standup, wrestling, and ground game.

Standup- Belfort has more power, however he is not anywhere near as fast as he used to be and even if he does catch Bisping there is a good chance he attempts to swarm and ends up gassing horribly like a middleweight Carwin. Of course, Vitor won't be as tentative as he was against Jones, however this crazy explosiveness and legendary handspeed is a memory in my opinion. Bisping will use his footwork and reach advantage to at least stay out of danger until Belfort slows down. Thing is, Bisping will be exactly the same fighter in round 4 as he is in round 1, Belfort really HAS to finish him in a 5 round fight or he's going to get outworked.

Wrestling- his is the most important aspect is it allows the superior wrestler to determine where they would like to fight. Even Chael Sonnen couldn't hold Bisping down, I see Bisping neutralising any attempts Vitor makes to get this to the ground, and Ithink he can scramble well enough on the ground to get to his feet easily enough. As I said earlier, the Jones armbar was a result of Jones wanting that top, dominant position, Bisping will not want to be on the ground with a Carlson Gracie Black Belt any longer than he needs to be. I also think Bisping may well press Belfort against the cage and make the first couple of rounds very boring at times, this is a very good strategy for the fighter with the superior cardio to wear his opponent down.

Ground- I simply don't think Bisping will allow it to go there, his footwork will keep him out of danger and he'll scramble away if he does end up on the ground. If Belfort gasses, Bisping may then shoot in for takedown etc but I think he'll lay it safe.

I think Belfort is stuck between a rock and a hard place here. He can blow his load and stand a chance of finishing Bisping early, or he can fight very conservatively, allowing Bisping to outpoint him and control the fight. All Bisping has to do early is survive, and personally I think he'll be able to do that comfortably.

Regarding age, Sando rightly mentioned the 2 guys are similar in age- however so are Shogun and Teixeira, in fact Tex is older. However most people are calling for Shogun to retire whilst Glover is being heralded as a young up and comer. Fighters have so long before they seriously decline, Randy Couture started late and was able to continue fighting past the age most guys retire, Belfort was fighting in 1997 as a kid- and the sad truth is if you watch a Belfort highlight that's where most of this exciting, explosive etc stuff comes from.

Anyone on the Spurs -8 tonight? Worried the Hornets will keep it closer with EG in the lineup. I might just go with Parker over20.5 -105. Any thoughts?

btw Sando has added a 3rd tennis play in case anyone missed it

Keys v Zheng
Keys m/l (+105, $2.05 Luxbet) 2x

(4 hours away)

correction. I believe that is the 5th pending play for today.
Last edited by Byrone09; 01-07-13 at 04:58 PM.

NBA

OKC @ Washington
OKC -10 (-108, $1.92 IAS/Sportsbet) 1.5x

Dallas @ Utah

Jazz -4.5 (-108, $1.92 IAS/Sportsbet) 1.5x

Adding

Memphis @ Sacramento
Kings +4 (-105, $1.95 Pinnacle) 1x
*Kings are 10-7 at home and have won 4 in a row at home over solid teams in the Knicks, Warriors, Celtic's and Blazers. Evans is back tonight but I am not worried it will effect the team chemistry they (finally) appear to have developed as they have discovered what works - feed the post and play inside out through Cousins and I don't see them going away from that despite Memphis intimidating post players. Conley is a great perimeter defender but I think he'll have his hands full tonight against mighty mouse Thomas.

NBA Totals

Cleveland @ Chicago
Over 186 (Evens, $2.00 Pinacle) 1x

NBA Card complete
Last edited by sando; 01-07-13 at 05:06 PM.
Give Points

Points Awarded:

Crowing Capers gave sando 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.