Login Search

2013-14 NBA picks

Last Post

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
These guys care a hell of a lot less about the outcome than you think they do. Do you honestly believe deep down, Dwight Howard gives a shit either way? Their money isn't incentive based; it's all guaranteed.

It's a game to them. It's sports. It's entertainment. They weren't fighting in a war or performing surgery to save someone's life -- and when they're making $10-20 million a year per regardless, it becomes even less important.
It's no different than any other industry. No matter how passionate you are to start, it's the rare few that can maintain that passion over the years of losing seasons, heartbreaking playoff losses, injuries, etc. Even when you win it all, it's tough to build yourself up and try to do it again. It becomes a paycheque for most at some point.

That's what makes the Tim Duncan / Dirk Nowitzki types so exceptional. There's just no quit in them.

Athletes are better in sports today but like you said, the quality isn't there like it was in the 80s and 90s.

Remember that one year team USA was getting beat in the Olympics?

We had by far the best athletes but that didn't translate into a better bball team.

Players are bigger, stronger, and faster but they also have less heart and intelligence IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDofBA View Post
Athletes are better in sports today but like you said, the quality isn't there like it was in the 80s and 90s.

Remember that one year team USA was getting beat in the Olympics?

We had by far the best athletes but that didn't translate into a better bball team.

Players are bigger, stronger, and faster but they also have less heart and intelligence IMO.
It's also the dilution of more players playing shorter careers. The smaller paycheques of the past meant you needed to stay on the floor, whereas a promising young player entering the league now can play a few years, take a big contract, and then cruise through it and be set for life. ie: Dwight.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuse0323 View Post
No saving you if you think the spread runs through these players minds during the most important game of their life.
I have to agree with u. I feel bad for people who do not appreciate the top level basketball that is being played in today's game. It's laughable and outright crazy to think that the vegas lines are going through any of these players heads at the end of games. To be honest, if someone truly believes NBA superstars are fixing PLAYOFF games in front of the entire world then there is no helping them. If that's the case, then George Bush knocked down the twin towers also... lmfao I get so sick of conspiracy theorists. And the more you argue with them and point out facts, the crazier they get. It's much easier to just agree with the crazies and move on... trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by suicidekings View Post
It's also the dilution of more players playing shorter careers. The smaller paycheques of the past meant you needed to stay on the floor, whereas a promising young player entering the league now can play a few years, take a big contract, and then cruise through it and be set for life. ie: Dwight.
Exactly.

For the record, I don't blame the players for that. Just a natural instinct. I don't know what the NBA can do about it at this point, though.