Login Search

2013-14 NBA picks

Last Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cuse0323 View Post
No saving you if you think the spread runs through these players minds during the most important game of their life.
These guys care a hell of a lot less about the outcome than you think they do. Do you honestly believe deep down, Dwight Howard gives a shit either way? Their money isn't incentive based; it's all guaranteed.

It's a game to them. It's sports. It's entertainment. They weren't fighting in a war or performing surgery to save someone's life -- and when they're making $10-20 million a year per regardless, it becomes even less important.

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
These guys care a hell of a lot less about the outcome than you think they do. Do you honestly believe deep down, Dwight Howard gives a shit either way? Their money isn't incentive based; it's all guaranteed.

It's a game to them. It's sports. It's entertainment. They weren't fighting in a war or performing surgery to save someone's life -- and when they're making $10-20 million a year per regardless, it becomes even less important.
They're ready to fight after the game and you think they don't care. You say it all in your post, the money is guaranteed so why would they care about the spread in the game if they don't need money? Only thing left to care about is championships. This is why you get into sports, to win. You don't grow up playing sports for money, you play to win. It really isn't for entertainment to most players...the best wouldn't have all those rings or be devastated without one, if it was all for entertainment.

They're ready to fight after the game and you think they don't care. You say it all in your post, the money is guaranteed so why would they care about the spread in the game if they don't need money? Only thing left to care about is championships. This is why you get into sports, to win. You don't grow up playing sports for money, you play to win.
That's a very simplistic, fan-driven way of looking at a business and a form of entertainment -- as well as an archaic one. If you tried to convince me of this back in the days of Magic, Bird and MJ, when athletes weren't making tens of millions of dollars in guaranteed money, I'd buy it. The passion was still there, both as a financial incentive and because the $$$ hadn't poisoned the well and softened the players.

There's a reason a disconnect exists between fans and players in modern day professional sports. Fans want these guys to treat it like life and death, because a lot of them die hard with their teams. If you were making $15 million per regardless of the outcome, the idea of "playing to win" takes on a whole new meaning. Of course they want to win, but if they don't -- trust me, Dwight Howard isn't sulking over this loss.

I can agree that some players don't care all that much when they lose, obviously...but not that they will decide the outcome of a game based on the spread. That's all. You made it seem like Aldridge not scoring at the end was some deep conspiracy to make sure that Portland didn't cover. Portland is refreshing because they do have passion, never give up and always fight back.

I can agree that some players don't care all that much when they lose, obviously...but not that they will decide the outcome of a game based on the spread. That's all. You made it seem like Aldridge not scoring at the end was some deep conspiracy to make sure that Portland didn't cover. Portland is refreshing because they do have passion, never give up and always fight back.
Just very convenient -- kind of like Portland folding like a cheap tent as soon as they led by 5 in regulation and 7 in OT.

I've never been a fan of your '10 years ago NBA was more competitive' outlook. Yes, the snow was whiter and the grass was greener. You also were 10 years younger... that's possibly why you look at things you love slightly differently.

But man, you've gotta admit. This is one of the most amazing first round playoffs this league has ever seen. I'm not sure if being skeptical makes you feel any better, I just hope for your own good that you are enjoying these games even half as much as those naive, 'simplistic' fans do all around the world. As much as I do.

Quote Originally Posted by shevabets View Post
I've never been a fan of your '10 years ago NBA was more competitive' outlook. Yes, the snow was whiter and the grass was greener. You also were 10 years younger... that's possibly why you look at things you love slightly differently.

But man, you've gotta admit. This is one of the most amazing first round playoffs this league has ever seen. I'm not sure if being skeptical makes you feel any better, I just hope for your own good that you are enjoying these games even half as much as those naive, 'simplistic' fans do all around the world. As much as I do.
Games are entertaining without a doubt, and the athleticism is as good as it's ever been in the NBA. Without question.

Doesn't mean it's quality basketball we're watching, though.