Login Search

Not Really NASCAR News

Last Post

Thumbs up Owen Kelly seals road course NASCAR deal

Here is your Road America winner fellas!

Australian journeyman Owen Kelly will reignite his NASCAR career with two appearances for Joe Gibbs Racing in the United States over the next few months.

Kelly will replace Kyle Busch the #54 Monster Energy Toyota in NASCAR Nationwide Series road course events at Road America on June 22 and Mid Ohio on August 17.

Busch has become one of NASCAR’s biggest stars and was eager to sign Kelly to complement his team’s 2013 campaign after the Tasmanian qualified his car at Montreal last year.

Kelly had his first taste of NASCAR action in 2010 when he drove a Baker Curb entry to fifth place in a Nationwide race at Road America.

He was then hired to qualify the Nationwide entry of countryman Marcos Ambrose for Richard Petty Motorsport at Montreal, Canada, in 2011 – qualifying the entry in ninth, while Ambrose completed his Sprint Cup commitments at Michigan.

Ambrose arrived in Montreal 20 minutes before the race, which he went on to win.

Kelly’s efforts caught the eye of Busch who hired him to qualify his Monster Energy car at last year’s Montreal event while he completed his own commitment at Michigan.

Kelly qualified the car fifth and Busch was on target to take the win when a late-race puncture forced him to finished 10th.

“For me, NASCAR has always been the pinnacle of motorsports and to have another opportunity with a team the calibre of Joe Gibbs Racing and Kyle Busch is great,” said Kelly.

“I enjoyed qualifying the car for Kyle last year and for him to give me the chance to race for them this year gives me a real chance to keep my dream of a full-time NASCAR ride alive.

“It is now up to me to repay their faith and to go out and get the job done for JGR, Kyle, Monster and Toyota.”

Kelly, 33, started his career in karts at the age of nine and has one of the most comprehensive careers of any Australian racer with experience in Formula Ford, Porsche Cup, 2-litre Super Tourers, New Zealand V8 SuperTourers, Sprintcars and V8 Supercars in Australia.

http://www.speedcafe.com/2013/06/12/...e-nascar-deal/

Not sure I love the sound of these new F1 engines.

Renault on Friday revealed a sneak-preview of the sound of its 2014 engine.

There have been fears the noise produced by next year's turbo V6s will be a mere shadow of the current normally-aspirated V8s.

"Overall," admitted the French marque's engine boss Rob White, "the sound pressure level (volume) is lower and the nature of the sound reflects the new architecture.

"Fundamentally the engine noise will still be loud. It will wake you from sleep, and circuit neighbours will still complain," he said.

White admitted some people will miss the screaming tones of today, "but the sound of the new generation power units is just different".

Thumbs up Australian #8 to make Sprint Cup debut

AUSTRALIANS IN NASCAR SPRINT CUP

Frank Gardner - 1 start
Allan Grice - 2 starts
Dick Johnson - 7 starts
Terry Byers - 5 starts
Tony Spanos - 1 start
Geoff Brabham - 1 start
Marcos Ambrose - 174 starts
Owen Kelly - 0

July 22 2013
Australian Owen Kelly to realise NASCAR Sprint Cup dream
VIDEO NEWS RELEASE & AUDIO CLICK HERE: http://bit.ly/1b06qXK
YOUTUBE VIDEO PREVIEW CLICK HERE: http://bit.ly/125gYkC
Click Images (right) for copyright free downloads

Australian ace Owen Kelly will realise a boyhood dream when he makes his NASCAR Sprint Cup debut for Phoenix Racing at the famous Watkins Glen road course in New York State on Sunday, August, 11.
Kelly will become the eighth Australian to compete in the highest level of NASCAR competition and will join fellow Tasmanian and full-time Sprint Cup driver Marcos Ambrose on the grid in the Cheez-It 355.
Kelly fell into favouritism for the seat in the #51 entry after an impressive performance in Kyle Busch’s JGR #54 Monster Energy car in the Nationwide race at Road America last month where he qualified second and finished fourth, despite running out of fuel while challenging for the lead.
The week following the Watkins Glen race, Kelly will be back behind the wheel of Busch’s #54 Nationwide car at Mid Ohio – the Joe Gibbs Racing operation has provided its blessing for Kelly’s Sprint Cup debut with Phoenix Racing.
The Phoenix Racing opportunity developed after an internal meeting between well-known team owner James Finch, #51 Crew Chief, Nick Harrison and the team’s Australian engineer, Andrew Dickenson.
“The phrase ‘a dream come true’ is used a lot, but there is no other way to describe this,” said Kelly when the deal was confirmed with Phoenix Racing’s owner James Finch today.
“When you look at the numbers, NASCAR is the pinnacle of world motorsports and I am humbled that an organisation with the history and depth of Phoenix Racing has provided me with this opportunity.
“It has all come together very quickly, but I have to thank everyone who has been so supportive of me including James Finch, Nick Harrison, Andrew Dickenson and the Joe Gibbs Racing operation.
“I am proud to be one of a select few Australians to have been given a shot at NASCAR’s top level and I will be doing everything in my power to give Phoenix Racing the best possible result at Watkins Glen.”
Kelly is likely to travel to the US this week for a seat fitting and is hoping that he will get in a test before arriving at Watkins Glen.
While Phoenix Racing narrowed down possible candidates for the #51, it was Kelly’s name, which kept appearing as the number one choice, according to Harrison.
“James (Finch) came into the shop and we were throwing a few names around. Robby Gordon was a candidate and then Owen’s name was put up,” said Harrison
“To be honest Dale (Earnhardt) Jr, Marcos (Ambrose), AJ (Allmendinger) , anyone we spoke to was very supportive of Owen and what he could bring to our team.
“We are pumped to have him as part of our operation. Anyone who looks at his career and has watched him in his Nationwide qualifying and races knows he has got talent.
“We will be running the same car which Kurt Busch finished third in at Sonoma last year. We head up to Watkins Glen believing we can be very, very competitive.
“We had Jacques Villeneuve in our car at Sonoma this year and had Robby Gordon as an option, as I said, but we believe Owen is the best option for us.
“Because of his V8 Supercar experience and his Nationwide drives, Owen is used to the weight and power of these cars.”
Phoenix Racing is in the process of being sold, but Finch will maintain control of the team until mid September.
“There is no doubt that we think Owen can help us add to James’ trophy collection before the team changes hands,” said Harrison.
“James was very keen to approach Owen when his name was put forward and is excited about what we have put together for Watkins Glen.
“We have Hendrick Motorsport providing us engines and chassis and we think Owen can get us right up there for a top 10 or even a victory if everything falls our way.”

OWEN KELLY US – NASCAR CAREER

* 2008 - Moved to the US to head-up Dale Earnhardt Jr’s late model program in the Whelen All America Series – Winning the Mid-Atlantic 350.

* 2009 – Campaigned an entry for Earnhardt Jr in the UARA-Stars Championship before returning to Australia for the V8 Supercar endurance events.
* 2010 - had his first taste of NASCAR when he drove a Baker Curb entry to fifth place in a Nationwide race at Road America.
* 2011 - Hired to qualify the Nationwide entry of countryman Marcos Ambrose for Richard Petty Motorsport at Montreal, Canada – qualifying the entry in ninth, while Ambrose completed his Sprint Cup commitments at Michigan. Ambrose arrived in Montreal 20 minutes before the race, which he went on to win.
* 2012 – Hired by Kyle Busch to qualify his Monster Energy car at Montreal event while he completed his own commitment at Michigan. Qualified the car fifth and Busch was on target to take the win when a late-race puncture forced him to 10th.
* 2013 – Hired by Joe Gibbs Racing to drive the Monster Energy #54 car at Road America. Qualified the car second and ran in the top three for the majority of the race and led at one stage before running out of fuel. Dropped back to 34th and worked his way through the field to finish fourth.
* 2013 – Will drive the #51 Phoenix Motorsport entry in the Cheez-It 355 at Watkins Glen on Sunday, August 11
* 2013 – Will drive Kyle Busch’s #54 Monster Energy entry in the Nationwide Children’s Hospital 200 at Mid Ohio on Saturday, August 17.

OWEN KELLY - STATS AND EARLY CAREER

Name: Owen Kelly
Born: Devonport, Tasmania
Lives: Melbourne, Victoria
Owen Kelly started his career in karts at the age of nine and has one of the most comprehensive careers of any Australian racer with experience in Formula Ford, Porsche Cup, 2-litre Super Tourers, New Zealand Super Tourers, Sprintcars and V8 Supercars in Australia.
His US experience includes Grand-Am, Late Models and NASCAR Nationwide.
Kelly, who has become one of Australia’s most respected drivers, has driven for Kelly Racing in the last three Bathurst 1000s, but has retreated from his endurance opportunities this year to concentrate on his US commitments.
Australian Owen Kelly will realise a NASCAR dream at Watkins Glen next month - please click image for hi-res version
The #51 Phoenix Racing car that Tasmanian, Owen Kelly will drive on August 11 - please click image for hi-res version
Owen Kelly will become the eighth Australian to start in NASCAR's premier division - click image for hi-res version
Owen Kelly will drive the Hendrick Motorsports-built Phoenix Racing #51 - click for hi-res version

And yet another Tasmanian taking to NASCAR.

What are they feeding them down there?

http://www.speedcafe.com/2013/09/30/...-ahead-finale/

Burdon retakes Euro NASCAR lead ahead of finale

Burdon’s car was heavily damaged during Friday practice

Tasmanian driver Josh Burdon will take a slender lead into the final round of the NASCAR Whelen Euro Series following a tumultuous weekend at Monza, Italy.

The 21-year-old’s season appeared to have suffered a major blow when his car was crashed in practice at Monza by Elite Class driver Nicolo Rocca.

The unique NASCAR Euro format sees the Elite and Open class drivers share a car, with which they compete in separate races.
The Scorpus Racing outfit returned the car to the track just five hours after Rocca’s accident for Burdon to complete Practice 2.
The Australian went on to qualify fourth, but saw his 26 point series advantage turn to a 12 point deficit after an early race tangle led to a retirement.

A narrow 0.001s victory in a damp second race, however, ensures Burdon will take a two point lead into the final at Le Mans, France, on October 11-13.

“There are no words to describe this feeling amongst the team,” said Burdon after Race 2.
“After a disasterous weekend and experiencing the biggest low of my career yesterday we rebounded back today.

“I wanted it real bad. I’m so happy to get a podium for all the hard work put in by the team.”

The victory was Burdon’s sixth of the season, which has seen the NASCAR-sanctioned class complete two-race weekends at Nogaro (France), Dijon (France), Brands Hatch (United Kingdom) and Monza.

Once upon a time (not too long ago) a bookmaker in Australia was obliged to take bets from anyone. ie: no refusing bets from winners.

Until the UK invasion and NT Govt regulator baring their asses for them.

Aussie punters are fighting back. I for one would love to see these big corporates forced to act more fairly.

Punters Need A Fair Go

On-course bookies are obliged to bet all comers, a rule that has been in place for decades. After the latest regulatory ruling by the Northern Territory Government, online bookies licensed in the NT are not obliged to bet anyone.

This ruling came about after much lobbying of the Territory government by various successful gamblers fed up at the disgraceful way they were treated by these bookmakers.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/punte...#ixzz2h3aUq41I

Lose Or Be Locked Out

If you gamble online, the odds are you are - sorry, there is no easy way to put this - a loser.

But the good thing is that someone still loves you very much - the bookies. And the odds are they are Poms.

The Poms are snapping up the corporate bookmakers. British juggernaut William Hill has splashed $700 million to bring Tom Waterhouse, Sportingbet and Centrebet into its stable of online betting brands while Sportsbet is owned by Paddy Power of Ireland.
Advertisement

And no wonder the big boys have moved in. Thanks to ultra-low tax rates in the Northern Territory, the takings are huge.

According to figures last week from the NT Department of Business, turnover now surpasses $5.7 billion a year, on which the bookies leaked just $2.35 million in tax, a rate of 0.05 per cent. Profits were $469.2 million last year, shared among the 12 licensed bookies.

Not surprisingly, the department has finally conceded a review is on the cards.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/lose-...#ixzz2h3a9xxcD

They'll cut their own throat in this country if they aren't careful about how greedy they get.

if the chant "you must be a loser if the book takes your bets online" gets loud enough it will affect their turnover.

It offends the Aussie sense of a "fair go" is why it's a bigger thing here than other places I think.

u guys should live in he U.S.

even though most complain, ive been playing offshore for almost 15 years now for everything gambling related, , and ive never been stiffed 1 penny in all that time...so for me its really not that big a deal imo, at least not as much as most complain about it...at least not yet

i wish like i could paypal was still option of course, even though i never used it when it was available....fees arent that bad for payout, but would be easier to just withdrawl and get the $ free in like a few hrs is my biggest complaint