Login Search

Not Really NASCAR News

Last Post

And yet another Formula 1 name moves to NASCAR. Pity it's the second big name that's come over after his career was ending there by a cheating scandal. :\

Briton Mike Coughlan, the former McLaren Formula 1 Design Director, is now working in NASCAR as the director of vehicle design for Michael Waltrip Racing in Cornelius, N.C.

The British-born engineer suspended from McLaren after the infamous 2007 “Spygate” scandal after Ferrari engineer, Nigel Stepney, passed on secret design documents to him.

http://www.auto123.com/en/racing-new...g?artid=129631

This guy is so good he could be a game changer for MWR though.

Default Love the V8s!

V8 Supercars will compete in the United States from 2013, competing at the new Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas. Following Speedcafe.com’s breaking story on Monday, V8 Supercars has announced a five-year deal to race at the yet-to-be-constructed race track.

http://www.speedcafe.com/2011/07/01/...ric-usa-event/

I really really hope this means the talk about a V8 support race for NASCAR at The Glen was genuine too!

Now those guys could bring some road course ringers to the party!

From another report saying they should make it a 2 driver per car race;

Leigh Diffey, former V8 Supercars commentator and now a lead caller for Speed TV in America, says that the twin 200km format would attract a lot of interest from America’s finest NASCAR, IndyCar and sportscar stars.

"They (V8 Supercars) have seen the Gold Coast 600 format become so popular, that I think that if the series chooses to go down that road with the Circuit of the Americas event, they’d have an overwhelming amount of interest from the best drivers we have in the ‘States," Diffey said on Speed.com.

"If they were to do an interesting format like they do at the Gold Coast, and invite guys like Kyle Busch, Dale Earnhardt Jr, Juan Montoya, Jimmie Johnson and run down the list of the IndyCar guys and sports car drivers, I think you’d give fans of all forms of racing a perfect reason to head to Texas to watch V8s.

Bathurst 1000 live on Speed this year, 6th-9th October.

http://www.speedcafe.com/2011/09/08/...oast-coverage/

This is the Australian equivalent of Daytona... probably even more important to fans here. Winning this race is almost as big as taking the championship, bigger to a lot of people.

It's the Daytona of road courses too... no other track in the world is as good, not Nurburgring, not the old Spa, nothing.

Even if you think you hate stock cars on a road course this one is worth a look!

I usually camp in front of the TV for about 20 hours over the weekend.

First lap of last years race;

Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 04-15-15 at 10:43 AM. Reason: image does not exist

Quote Originally Posted by yisman View Post
:O this thread is over a year old.

Random factoid:

Did you know that in the '90s there was some kind of event called the 'Busch Clash'?
This thread will probably go for a few more years yet

No, do tell, what is the Busch Clash?

This is what turned me into a racing nut as a kid. Listen to the sound of this car

Driver is Dick Johnson (who drove in a couple of Watkins Glen NASCAR races in the 80s) in his arch nemisis' car, the late great Peter Brock (Richard Petty of Australian racing)

Start at the 6min mark to hear the sweetest racing car sound ever produced.

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
This thread will probably go for a few more years yet

No, do tell, what is the Busch Clash?

This is what turned me into a racing nut as a kid. Listen to the sound of this car

Driver is Dick Johnson (who drove in a couple of Watkins Glen NASCAR races in the 80s) in his arch nemisis' car, the late great Peter Brock (Richard Petty of Australian racing)

Start at the 6min mark to hear the sweetest racing car sound ever produced.

Busch clash now known as Bud shootout