Login Search

NASCAR - Offseason Thread

Last Post

Default NASCAR - Offseason Thread

What's up guys. Wanted to get together a thread to discuss all the offseason topics. (future bets, rules changes, equipment changes, leans, etc). Speedweeks is getting closer and closer, time to spark the discussion

Nascar released the qualifying format change today pasted below, what you guys think? I was not a fan of the idea before but looks interesting so I might have to give it a

At tracks measuring 1.25 miles in length or larger, qualifying for the Coors Light Pole Award will consist of three rounds:
• The first qualifying elimination round will be 25 minutes in duration and includes all cars/trucks. The 24 cars/trucks that post the fastest single lap from the first qualifying round will advance to the second round.

• The remaining cars/trucks will be sorted based on their times posted in the first round of qualifying in descending order.

• The second qualifying elimination round will be 10 minutes in duration and the 12 cars/trucks that post the fastest single lap time will advance to the third and final round. The fastest remaining cars/trucks earn positions 13th through 24th based on their times posted in qualifying in descending order.

• The third and final qualifying round will be five minutes in duration and the fastest single lap time will determine positions 1st through 12th in descending order.

• There will be a five-minute break between each qualifying round

At tracks measuring less than 1.25 miles, qualifying for the Coors Light Pole Award will consist of two rounds:

• The first qualifying elimination round will be 30 minutes in duration and includes all cars/trucks. The 12 cars/trucks that post the fastest single lap time from the first qualifying round will advance to the second and final round.

• The remaining cars/trucks will be sorted based on their times posted in the first round of qualifying in descending order.

• There will be a 10-minute break between the two qualifying rounds.

• The second and final qualifying round will be 10 minutes in duration and the fastest single lap time posted will determine positions 1st through 12th in descending order.

The new qualifying format does not apply to the Daytona 500, which will preserve its historic and unique qualifying format. Additionally, it does not apply to non-points NASCAR Sprint Cup Series events or the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series event at Eldora Speedway.

Teams will still concentrate on doing one or two fast laps, then either sit out or use it to assess fuel and long run setup is my guess.

They probably need to drop the 1 set of tires rule if they want this to work well, but i guess that will make it more expensive.

it will encourage teams to not use full on quali setups, if they want to make use of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by 5mike5 View Post
Yeah the 1 set of tires rule is awful.

What's the difference not like they can go faster after the first lap or 2
Agree, not sure how they can get past that with the current tire compounds.

They use this format in V8 supercars, and it's kinda sorta like F1, which is an awesome format for those cars (F1).

But... in those series the track gets better/faster with every lap run on it, so the drop off in tires can be more than offset by the improving track condition over a 10-15 minute quali session sometimes.

It makes for some great strategic battles. Quali day is like a mini race day in F1 the quali sessions can be so good.

I am not a fan of tire rule or no changes during session having to wait til break. Hypothetically if Kyles bad loose off truck but keeps digging for more to advance to next session. We could see multiple cars wrecked. This I think really comes into play at likes of Bristol or Martinsville