Login Search

All things 2024 KY DERBY- Picks and Thoughts on the Big Race

Last Post

Quote Originally Posted by JBEX View Post
really don't get why #3 where's my ring (15-1) ml is so high in the oaks ..part of it is probably a middle of the road socal trainer and not a premier "national" level jock aboard ..jose lezcano just a cut below the best in the game imo
Agree. Was probably my pick but I see down to 8-1 now. We’ll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Jellymancan View Post
Agree. Was probably my pick but I see down to 8-1 now. We’ll see.
I wasn't even aware betting was open..looked at how much in the win pool and I would say with a high degree of certainty it's less than 1% of what will be bet..still,it's an early indicator of what the public is thinking but have a hunch she'll end up between 10-12

Quote Originally Posted by JBEX View Post
I wasn't even aware betting was open..looked at how much in the win pool and I would say with a high degree of certainty it's less than 1% of what will be bet..still,it's an early indicator of what the public is thinking but have a hunch she'll end up between 10-12

Oh yeah, it’s super early. Derby day brings big money and I’d say 10-14 would be my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Jellymancan View Post
Will it rain enough Friday to knock them off the turf Saturday?
As the biggest day of the year they will do everything they can to keep it on the turf.

Quote Originally Posted by Memento View Post
Both Sierra Leone and Chasing Freedom are strong late closers. CF went 8 wide, last to first to win the LA Derby. If either are mid-pack at the turn they have a great shot. If it is an off track...doubt the pace will hold up for a closer to win.
I am under the impression that speed holds well in the slop? But maybe not a drying out track? See what happens.

derby

#7 honor marie (12-1 currently)

only 3 starts as a 2yo were at churchill downs with 2 wins and
and a 2nd .. the 2nd was on a sloppy track so I give extra credit for both wins being on fast ones ..also the 2nd fast track win was around 2 turns in a grade 2..having not only 2 wins here but a grade 2 route at this track as a 2yo (enough 2's for you lol) carry a lot of weight ,no pun intended, for me ..looks like a really bad trip on a sloppy track in his 3yo debut @ the fairgrounds followed by a 2nd by a length in the louisiana derby (his last race)the latter at a 1 3/16 which is an extra half furlong further than the typical 1 1/8 mile preps ..he was closing a lot in that race so i prefer only an extra half furlong vs the longer furlong stretchout for the other major prep runners

being a deep closer he'll need a fast pace to set him up and think there's a good chance they'll be one today

this is my write-up and thoughts from looking at the pp's ..no other input from others written or video material which is very easy to get these days

THE JBEX PICK for the DERBY

Mike Beer from DRF also picked 19- Resilience. Hopefully he is right. My initial Derby picks are 3- Mystic Dan and 17- Fierceness because they are the only two horses that has cracked the 100 Beyer figure. I down graded Mystic Dan because McPeek and Hernandez won with Thorpedo Anna yesterday; it is rare for the same traner/jock to win both. But I will still play him. As for Fierceness, he is the best horse but we all know the best horse doesn't always wins. I like the 19- Resilence because like Mike Beer said, I think he may be peaking at the right time. Mott main man Alvarado is at the iron. He has shown that he can sit a few lengths off the speed horses. He is out of Into Mischief, his damn sire is Smart Strike (one of my favorite). His outside post maybe too much for him, but at 30-1, I will take a shot. All the other horses actually have a shot; but at huge odds, I will take 20- Society Man (ML 50-1). Wood memorial might give me the exacta... lol

My Pick 6 ticket wasn't bad today; other than Race 9, the rest are pretty much to form....

05/04 10:24 AM Churchill Downs 7 $0.20 P6 3, 6, 11 / 5, 11 / 5, 11 / 4, 5, 10 / 5, 11 / 17, 19 $28.80