Login Search

Kentucky derby thread thoughts and predictions . Keep it going only derby picks

Last Post

mike or STR how do they even come up with the beyer.or any other speed figure they use, as you all know, i only been into flats for about two years, if that, im a harness, , but im finding out , more money in flats, value, so you guys have been my teachers...lol for real, i see everyone is talking about how slow they went, i dont know if this is a silly question, but could they have gone faster if they wanted, it just seemed to me going a mile and a quarter, all the horses were very ..cautious , about going,not knowing how long they would last, i dont know......,speed was holding pretty solid that day,wasnt it,,dont thge horses that closed into that race, get any credit......in the preakness , i think they will all know what they have, and blast out of there, cc isnt going to have a easy time like the derby, he had the pwerfect trip..right...
Quote Originally Posted by str View Post
Well Mike, one of these days I might be able to disagree with you but you have , in my estimation, hit it right on the head again.

When dirt sits unwatered for a long period of time, it changes. That is an absolute given. Even if they watered it, which I would be shocked if they did not, after the turf race, it is nowhere near the same. That said, the track sitting for two hours plus is WAY over Andy's head. I have known him for too many years to count, him being a Washington Post guy for years before working for DRF. As of when I left or just before, he truly did not understand this concept like he should have. You could not convince him of the notion. We had a mutual friend that discussed this with me multiple times.
Between the idle track and the wind, it is a lost cause when it comes to beyers #'s in this case. This is one of many reasons that over the years I have said it is fine to look at them, but do not rely on them. When it came to my horses and the efforts put forth sometimes they were right but just as often they were not. And sometimes they were so far off it was laughable.
I never professed to know everything, but I sure as heck knew my horse . That being said, What I saw as proof, I was unable to show to others. You, they, and anyone else will simply have to believe me or not. It's totally up to each individual.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy-Rider 66 View Post
California Chrome received a 97 Beyer and a 110 Timeform figure for his Derby score. Lowest beyer ever assigned to a Derby winner since they were offered. Both figures were increased by about 5 points because of the wind.
Quote Originally Posted by mikemca View Post

Everyone making excuses on why they have it so slow.I'm not buying it.No way every single horse regressed.At least CJ bumped it up a bit more than Beyer.Timeform 110 equates to a 103 beyer.

I'll back TFUS figs 100% but I think they can't figure out how much the wind factored most of all but also how much the track changed in the 2 hours 45 minutes since the last dirt race was ran race 9.
TG has it Pair-Top-Pair-Off-Pair for the top 5

Quote Originally Posted by harthebar View Post
mike or STR how do they even come up with the beyer.or any other speed figure they use,

You're gonna have to research that urself

Way too hard to explain but at the core of it is par times for the track>slap a variant on it>put fig according to ur scale

The top 2 I mentioned earlier are much more in depth but Beyer/Bris not so much

TG has it Pair-Top-Pair-Off-Pair for the top 5
Have not looked at T-graph figures yet. But makes sense that Commanding curve got a top and Wicked Strong regressed. A little surprised Danza got a pair. I will be interested to see what Timeform has him at. Thx for the info.

lol , great answer....i guess thats why your on top of the game.....many years of research..
You're gonna have to research that urself

Way too hard to explain but at the core of it is par times for the track>slap a variant on it>put fig according to ur scale

The top 2 I mentioned earlier are much more in depth but Beyer/Bris not so much

Have not looked at T-graph figures yet. But makes sense that Commanding curve got a top and Wicked Strong regressed. A little surprised Danza got a pair. I will be interested to see what Timeform has him at. Thx for the info.
I was surprised by who ran the best race on the card.Somehow slipped past me.

it said time form horses are about 12-14 points higher, im reading more ,good stuff, im curious, some tracks, put out the total distance a horse ran, in the race, is there a site that does that for every race and track, mostly the derby i would like to see, think gulfstream does it.
Hart Time form and the other Euro figs go by a weight for age scale I think.Totally different than USA figuremakers

Central Banker? He got the best TimeForm figure at 118. Did T-graph agree?

the 2nd place horse

Quote Originally Posted by harthebar View Post
it said time form horses are about 12-14 points higher, im reading more ,good stuff, im curious, some tracks, put out the total distance a horse ran, in the race, is there a site that does that for every race and track, mostly the derby i would like to see, think gulfstream does it.
It's a service called trakus.Not all tracks use it.Think Woodbine was one of the first then maybe GP and finally NYRA