Login Search

Kentucky derby thread thoughts and predictions . Keep it going only derby picks

Last Post

Quote Originally Posted by Draynay View Post
With Constitution out no horse going into the Derby has passed Wildcat Red and considering it took an all out effort from a horse Pletcher called one of the best 3 year old horses he has ever had .... good luck passing him. Cairo Prince was in the Florida Derby for a workout and lost by just 3 lengths. He has won everything else on 3 different tracks and has one of the best trainers in the world. Good luck beating Cairo on Derby Day. Maybe you need to watch his Holy Bull again.....
I think you may be forgetting about General A Rod who did in fact pass WildCat Red. I am also looking at the pedigree and WildCat REd handling the Derby distance.

As far as watching to Holy Bull again, yeah it was amazing. But his Florida Derby was equally impressive in the other direction.

Default Huh ?

Cairo Prince loses to the best two 3 year old horses running by a couple of lengths after a 9 week layoff and he is suddenly not good enough ? You can't be serious. There is nothing wrong with his Florida Derby and he is set up nicely to run away with the Derby. Keep him off your ticket and let me know how that works for you.

Default When you look at the PP's ....

2 things jump right out at you..... Wildcat red is inches from being undefeated and Cairo is a monster. It is going to be very very hard to get by Wildcat Red the first Saturday in May.... the Florida horses clearly stand out for sure.

Cairo for the win.....

Quote Originally Posted by mikemca View Post
I think Cairo Prince is interesting too but in the future see him being a Grade 1 miler, maybe 9 panels on a speed favoring track like the spa or monmouth which puts the Haskell in play.

Kentucky Derby

Cairo Prince o/u 4th
Wildcat Red o/u 8th
give me cairo prince to finish worse then 4th

Default Not even possible.....

Quote Originally Posted by mikemca View Post
I think Cairo Prince is interesting too but in the future see him being a Grade 1 miler, maybe 9 panels on a speed favoring track like the spa or monmouth which puts the Haskell in play.

Kentucky Derby

Cairo Prince o/u 4th
Wildcat Red o/u 8th
Wildcat Red who no one has been able to get by except one horse not in the race and who would be favored to win if the race was a mile is going to suddenly spit the bit with the lead at the top of the stretch and let 7 horses go by him...... you have to be kidding. Cairo Prince has done nothing but win and facing 3 of the best in the Florida Derby and him finishing right behind them after a 9 week layoff sets him up perfectly for the Derby. He is the only horse in the race that has been really good at 2 and 3. If you think there are 3 horses better than him.... where have they been hiding for 2 years ?

If you think there are 3 horses better than him.... where have they been hiding for 2 years ?
1. Samraat
2. California Chrome
3. Hoppertunity/Tapiture
4. General A Rod (at this distance)
5. Intense Holiday

Will all be on my ticket before WildCat Red. And don' get me wrong, I think WildCat red is going to own a mile the rest of the year, but the Derby distance....I just don' think he handles the distance or the pace that I think he will be facing.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyP View Post

give me cairo prince to finish worse then 4th
He is a tricky read but one thing I am sure of is that he was not 100% wound up for his last race.

Wildcat Red who no one has been able to get by except one horse not in the race and who would be favored to win if the race was a mile is going to suddenly spit the bit with the lead at the top of the stretch and let 7 horses go by him...... you have to be kidding. Cairo Prince has done nothing but win and facing 3 of the best in the Florida Derby and him finishing right behind them after a 9 week layoff sets him up perfectly for the Derby. He is the only horse in the race that has been really good at 2 and 3. If you think there are 3 horses better than him.... where have they been hiding for 2 years ?
General A rod didn't pass him in the Gulfstream Park Derby?There is a huge difference between a mile and 1 1/4 and I'm not so sure he would be favored at a mile unless it was at GP maybe.
His races that you are enamored with ,he and 2 or 3 others ran 1-2 or 1-2-3 around the track and if you look even deeper when they entered the stretch hardly anyone improved positions in the whole field.