Login Search

Horse Racing questions and answers

Last Post

Sir STR, I was looking at tomorrow’s form at Santa Anita, trying to cap a few races and hoping to make a few bucks. I came across a horse in Race 2 and I couldn’t believe what I saw. It’s the 3-Demigoddess, she is a 4 yr old filly and yet she has 50 lifetime starts. She is trained by Charles Stutts. I think it’s the same Stutts that’s been around for a long time, not sure. Anyways, he is 0 for 33 in 2018. The form only goes back 12 starts which started January 1,2018. She has raced on average 3 times a month, sometimes she would race after 6 days and sometimes 10 days. That is a lot of races for such a short time. Her record is 50- 1-1-9. Other than breaking her maiden, she hasn’t won a race. I guess what I’m asking is at what point do you consider this animal abuse!! This just seem so f@ckin ridiculous to me. I know they use to race a lot more frequently than now, but 50 starts as a 4 yr old and we are only in mid-May. Your thoughts? This just really bothers me. Do they have regulations against these? I wish I know how to post that part of the form for you to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by mrginandtonic View Post
Sir STR, I was looking at tomorrow’s form at Santa Anita, trying to cap a few races and hoping to make a few bucks. I came across a horse in Race 2 and I couldn’t believe what I saw. It’s the 3-Demigoddess, she is a 4 yr old filly and yet she has 50 lifetime starts. She is trained by Charles Stutts. I think it’s the same Stutts that’s been around for a long time, not sure. Anyways, he is 0 for 33 in 2018. The form only goes back 12 starts which started January 1,2018. She has raced on average 3 times a month, sometimes she would race after 6 days and sometimes 10 days. That is a lot of races for such a short time. Her record is 50- 1-1-9. Other than breaking her maiden, she hasn’t won a race. I guess what I’m asking is at what point do you consider this animal abuse!! This just seem so f@ckin ridiculous to me. I know they use to race a lot more frequently than now, but 50 starts as a 4 yr old and we are only in mid-May. Your thoughts? This just really bothers me. Do they have regulations against these? I wish I know how to post that part of the form for you to look at.
I remember back when I trained that I would run into some jackass trainer like this idiot every now and then. Sadly, unless there is a complaint about the care in the barn or for the safety of others there isn't much you can do. If it's any consolation, if the horse had any real problems the trainer would not be able to get the horse over there that often and or, the state vet would not allow the horse to run.
Do know that in all probability, the state vet as well as plenty of people on the backside and some people in the secretary's office as well, are just as ticked off as you are and are keeping a very close eye on this moron. I do think the Stewards could step in and at least inquire as to why the trainer chooses to run so often. Let's hope they or a commissioner or somebody at least inquires about it.

Sorry Mr. G and T. This is not exactly representative of the way most people think on the backside, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by str View Post
I remember back when I trained that I would run into some jackass trainer like this idiot every now and then. Sadly, unless there is a complaint about the care in the barn or for the safety of others there isn't much you can do. If it's any consolation, if the horse had any real problems the trainer would not be able to get the horse over there that often and or, the state vet would not allow the horse to run.
Do know that in all probability, the state vet as well as plenty of people on the backside and some people in the secretary's office as well, are just as ticked off as you are and are keeping a very close eye on this moron. I do think the Stewards could step in and at least inquire as to why the trainer chooses to run so often. Let's hope they or a commissioner or somebody at least inquires about it.

Sorry Mr. G and T. This is not exactly representative of the way most people think on the backside, that's for sure.
I sure hope someone is keeping an eye on him. But what about the owner? Doesn't he have any input?? Or may be he just doesn't care as long as she is making money. And this stupid trainer probably only 2 horses in his stables and he is running both of them to death since he is 0 for 33 for the year so far. Wish we can revolt his license!!

I sure hope someone is keeping an eye on him. But what about the owner? Doesn't he have any input?? Or may be he just doesn't care as long as she is making money. And this stupid trainer probably only 2 horses in his stables and he is running both of them to death since he is 0 for 33 for the year so far. Wish we can revolt his license!!
The owner has plenty of say but apparently not saying it. Whole thing is dumb. Some trainers just don't deserve a license.

Quote Originally Posted by str View Post
The owner has plenty of say but apparently not saying it. Whole thing is dumb. Some trainers just don't deserve a license.
I agree, these kind of trainers just simply don’t deserve it. This just really pissed me off.

On to a light note, Justify seems pretty tough to beat. Looks like all the professionals are picking him to win this and onto Belmont for that Triple Crown immortality. Your thoughts?

Looking at the Preakness it is very hard for me to shed any light on the race other than what everyone already knows. Justify is without question the most talented horse going in. The key to his race is the same key he had in the Derby. He needs to break . If he does, it looks to shape up with a speed or even maybe two speeds inside him if someone wants to send. That will be darn near a copy of the race we saw in Ky. His hope will be to sit 2nd or 3rd and allow others to set the early pace and start to make his run as they go into the far turn. He absolutely wants the lead as he turns for home. That would be the way they hope it unfolds. He could make the lead by himself as well. On paper, it should be one of those scenarios.
If things do not go as planned leaving the gate, nobody knows how he will react. Because of that, I will sit out betting the Preakness. He is currently 1-2. No money to be made there. And I feel like I would be betting on him to break poorly or have a problem physically if I chose another horse at a price.
Sorry to be so boring.Wish I could help more but the track is playing to speed/position and favorites have dominated the first seven races. It is a pass for me . Good luck with YOUR picks everyone.

hey str..

jerry bailey has said several times that you don't know for sure if a race has taken too much out of a horse till they hit the top of the stretch in their next outing (paraphrasing but something like that) ..so if going too fast early in the derby was to effect him it wouldn't necessarily be obvious going into the race ?

Quote Originally Posted by JBEX View Post
hey str..

jerry bailey has said several times that you don't know for sure if a race has taken too much out of a horse till they hit the top of the stretch in their next outing (paraphrasing but something like that) ..so if going too fast early in the derby was to effect him it wouldn't necessarily be obvious going into the race ?
That is exactly what I’m looking at. I think that the fact that the final was 2:04 tells me that his is finally getting tired. Although he won by two, it just meant to me that the other runners are not that good. That’s precisely why I’m leaning on the 4-Diamond King, second off a layoff and switch to Hall of Fame jockey.

Since the beginning, he has run a 104, 101, 107, 103 Beyer speed figure. That is very impressive in such a short time. I don't remember any horse in the past that has done that especially as a 3yr old. I think the Preakness winner won't need triple digit Beyer to win.

Anyways, that's my thoughts. GL all.
Last edited by mrginandtonic; 05-19-18 at 03:04 PM.

That is exactly what I’m looking at. I think that the fact that the final was 2:04 tells me that his is finally getting tired. Although he won by two, it just meant to me that the other runners are not that good. That’s precisely why I’m leaning on the 4-Diamond King, second off a layoff and switch to Hall of Fame jockey.

Since the beginning, he has run a 104, 101, 107, 103 Beyer speed figure. That is very impressive in such a short time. I don't remember any horse in the past that has done that especially as a 3yr old. I think the Preakness winner won't need triple digit Beyer to win.

Anyways, that's my thoughts. GL all.
not to mention his 5th race in 91 days and just accomplishing a feat that hadn't been pulled off in 136 years..not a bad case overall to take a stab against

Quote Originally Posted by JBEX View Post
not to mention his 5th race in 91 days and just accomplishing a feat that hadn't been pulled off in 136 years..not a bad case overall to take a stab against
Unless he is a super horse which he definitely can be. But today, I will play against him. But if he wins today, I don’t see any reason that he will not be the next Triple Crown winner.

Unless he is a super horse which he definitely can be. But today, I will play against him. But if he wins today, I don’t see any reason that he will not be the next Triple Crown winner.
don't think it's going to be an easy race for justify..your horse hits solid pace figures in sprints and for sure he's going aggressive to the front (nothing to lose) ..can't see mikey letting him get to far away which translates to a fast pace..possible mike will be aggressive from the beginning anticipating this..I could see sporting chance sitting off these two and be set up nicely