Login Search

Introduction + Newb Question

Last Post

Default Introduction + Newb Question

Hi all,

I'm brand-spankin' new to sports betting but as someone who has played frequent poker for a while now and also someone who loves hockey, I'm excited to start my sports betting journey.

I'm curious what sites are recommended for hockey betting and why. I have a favorable opinion of Bovada since I've dealt with them for poker in the past, and that was the default place I was going to drop $100 before the NHL season starts... unless there is a reason why this would be a bad choice?

Bovada seems to have the most different odds and lines for hockey compared to the other popular sites. According to the SBR NHL odds page I looked a few days ago at preseason games and Bovada even had a team favored that all the other big sites had as an underdog.

Or maybe the site I use doesn't matter a whole lot? As I said I'm only dropping $100 and I'll make bets worth a few bucks as I get a feel for how things are.

Anyway, I might be fairly active on this forum, and it will be nice to meet you members of the community here!

-gadzooks
Last edited by gadzooks; 10-07-16 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZdenoK View Post
For recreational betting any site will do. Otherwise Pinnacle is by far the best option because they have the highest limits, usually best odds and they don't limit winners.
I understand why you would say Pinnacle, but in my opinion, the highest limit would be Betfair, since it could potentially be limitless.

Quote Originally Posted by breikert View Post
I understand why you would say Pinnacle, but in my opinion, the highest limit would be Betfair, since it could potentially be limitless.
You are right but last time I was using Betfair they had commission so you end up with better odds at Pinny. Plus I don't know anyone who would need higher limits than Pinnacle offers on popular markets such as NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ZdenoK View Post
You are right but last time I was using Betfair they had commission so you end up with better odds at Pinny. Plus I don't know anyone who would need higher limits than Pinnacle offers on popular markets such as NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA etc.
Yeah, I absolutely agree(about the odds and high enough limits), even though I think the odds arent very much lower considering the commision. The upside with Betfair is obviously the limitless action you possibly could get, and the trading which can be awesome.

If I had to choose 3 sites though, both Pinnacle and Betfair would definitely be 2 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
What does it mean "highest limits" and "lower juice"? I'm really new to this.

After looking at the odds for today it does seem that Pinnacle has the best odds, which has me thinking I might try them out instead of Bovada.
Limits is how much you can bet on a market, and juice is basicly the odds difference up to 2. Lets say a hockey match O5.5 goals, some sites could give 1.92 for over, and 1.92 for under, while other sites may give you 1.90 on both markets. So the 1.90 is higher juice, which is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by breikert View Post
Limits is how much you can bet on a market, and juice is basicly the odds difference up to 2. Lets say a hockey match O5.5 goals, some sites could give 1.92 for over, and 1.92 for under, while other sites may give you 1.90 on both markets. So the 1.90 is higher juice, which is bad.
Thanks, I understand. I think limits are fairly irrelevant to me at this point then.

I decided to go with 5dimes.

Does anyone have a good source for immediate information, possibly even beating the sports books in the info race? I'm talking stuff like team rosters for a game, player injuries, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
Thanks, I understand. I think limits are fairly irrelevant to me at this point then.

I decided to go with 5dimes.

Does anyone have a good source for immediate information, possibly even beating the sports books in the info race? I'm talking stuff like team rosters for a game, player injuries, etc.
Good luck with that