Login Search

An introduction to research

Last Post

Quote Originally Posted by ProphetofProfit View Post
Does anyone know how to scrape data into Excel using only the html code from the required URLs? My first attempt used 'Data>Import from Web' which took 10 seconds to import, and I have to search through about 110,000 individual pages to find the 25,000 pages I need. I thought that by using the html code I could get the time down a little.
Sounds like you wanted something for nothing

Been slacking on my python progamming, but created an excel sheet that grab's mlb lines from Pinnacle everyday at 11 AM, and exports to a database

Everything is automated and runs on a scheduler. I haven't touched it in about 10 days and its smooth sailin, save for a few superfluous database entries. When doing a query its irrelevant however.

The problem arises when there are pitching changes and I'm not around. I guess I could export at intervals to different databases, therefore if there is a pitching change one database will always have the appropriate listed starters. By doing this I can also have the day's opener, mover, and closer for each line.

PM me if you are interested

Quote Originally Posted by uva3021 View Post
Been slacking on my python progamming, but created an excel sheet that grab's mlb lines from Pinnacle everyday at 11 AM, and exports to a database

Everything is automated and runs on a scheduler. I haven't touched it in about 10 days and its smooth sailin, save for a few superfluous database entries. When doing a query its irrelevant however.

The problem arises when there are pitching changes and I'm not around. I guess I could export at intervals to different databases, therefore if there is a pitching change one database will always have the appropriate listed starters. By doing this I can also have the day's opener, mover, and closer for each line.

PM me if you are interested
You have anything like that you use for NBA? I recently created a spreadsheet that does some basic things by itself as well and creates lines for me. Iirc i might have even used a formula from your site if it is your site. Not even close to developing a database just yet, not sure how and dont feel like doing the research since using the online one works fine so far.

Quote Originally Posted by demens View Post
You have anything like that you use for NBA? I recently created a spreadsheet that does some basic things by itself as well and creates lines for me. Iirc i might have even used a formula from your site if it is your site. Not even close to developing a database just yet, not sure how and dont feel like doing the research since using the online one works fine so far.
AN NBA one would be no problem, would just have to change PInnacle XML parameters

If the NBA data was an invasive data extraction from statfox then it probably was my site.

Quote Originally Posted by uva3021 View Post
AN NBA one would be no problem, would just have to change PInnacle XML parameters

If the NBA data was an invasive data extraction from statfox then it probably was my site.
This is the formula i meant (found it by searching old posts. i think you're the one that posted it but i'm not sure)
http://sportsobjective.com/wordpress/?p=3554

I would definitely make some use of that spreadsheet your talking about it if you're willing to share, not sure, i know some guys are pretty secretive about their stuff around here. I'm still in the novice phase. PM or here, your call.