Login Search

An introduction to research

Last Post

Quote Originally Posted by uva3021 View Post
You might have 2.7, if you have neither just download python 2.6
Thanks for the reply. I did have 2.7 but when i tried to save after editing in IDLE, it wouldnt let me open from my desktop. So I thought I would try to find 2.6. Do you have a link I can get 2.6 from, since that is what the op says to use? thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by BALISTIK View Post
Thanks for the reply. I did have 2.7 but when i tried to save after editing in IDLE, it wouldnt let me open from my desktop. So I thought I would try to find 2.6. Do you have a link I can get 2.6 from, since that is what the op says to use? thanks again.
Just use the most recent 2.x version, it will be fine

There are now a ton of free courses available.

At udacity you can learn python by taking cs101 and learn basic statistics by taking ST101.

http://www.udacity.com/courses

Coursera has a stats class where you'll be using R. They have some introductory programming courses, a couple machine learning courses and a lot of other data analysis type classes coming up in the future. They also have intro to finance and another comp finance course.

https://www.coursera.org/courses

EdX has some introductory programming classes and Intro to Artificial Intelligence.

https://www.edx.org/

Thank you very much Inspirited; your links were very helpful and I already signed up for the basic stat course at Udacity.

I did some poking around on the other links and couldn't find anything relating to Excel. Will these links help me become more conversant in Excel as well?

Thank you again.

Hello guys - great post. I'm new to SBR, but an avid sports enthusiast and bettor (semi-pro I like to think), for to many years now. Wanted to throw a thought into this thread for those seeking to learn the code side to build a model (which I did many many moons ago), take a step back and evaluate how much time and the cost of your time is involved to learn and apply...unless you take it up as a hobby. The approach that evolved over time and works phenominal for me is to define your requirements and outsource to offshore development teams. There are pros/cons to this of course (I learned these the good and bad the hard way), but its a) affordable, b) takes some time to find a quality team/guy, c) leave it to the experts to build your model or your scraping scripts, and d) estimate the offset cost of your time to learn and build, test, mess up, do again, etc. than to leave it to the experts.
I've evolved my model over the years with this approach for a number of back-burner projects, and my sports modelling.

My $0.02 for those who get the fear factor with having to learn programming or get wet in this area. Hire a pro...not the sexy kind of pros, but the technical kind...ok, digging a hole here.

Hope this helps those who seek a different path to get to the same destination.

Quote Originally Posted by tha View Post
I understand the kind intention of this post but I cannot believe anyone can do it. I also get the 'no pain, no gain' deal behind anything but it seems like just too much for anyone pick up over a few days and use it to their advantage.
it's not gonna happen over a few days. u just have to keep at it.