Login Search

Computer Programs That Analyze Games

Last Post

Professor1215,

I am interested in joining forces and brainstorming best practices, strategies and ideas.

I've been handicapping for over 10 years in NFL, NBA, MLB, and Tennis. I finally feel like I've got a good grasp of the game in terms of feel, line movements, injuries, home/away advantages, etc. Unfortunately it is hard to quantify it into hard data. My most important tool have been consistent bankroll management and discipline.

But I feel with new analytic tools such as excel, big data and think tank like this one we may be able to find a slight edge.

I am a current MBA student and sports handicapping is a passion of mine. I also like to invest in equities markets as well and have done well the past 3 years due to market bounce back. Just took a statistic class on Linear Regression and would love to apply it in real life situations.

Let's form a syndicate group and beat the books.

Thanks,

Leon
Give Points

Points Awarded:

nash13 gave chipleader 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
been checking them out .....I notice they have 2 sets of plays...raw and their own selections..........r they decent plays to wager on?thanks for any info
Sorry about responding back so late. I just follow the selections that he sends out. I don't handicap on my own so I don't ever use the raw numbers. Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor1215 View Post
Also, Justin7's book, conquering risk, is worth every penny.

Linear Regression is the place to start for making a model. There is a 7-step video series on youtube that walks you through it.

I had a small breakthrough last night with modeling.
I hear a few people talking about this. What's the name of his book and where can you read it online or pick up a copy? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
I hear a few people talking about this. What's the name of his book and where can you read it online or pick up a copy? Thanks.
It's called "Conquering Risk" and I was able to purchase it online on google books and read it with the google play app on my iPad.
Give Points

Points Awarded:

daringly gave gamblingisfun 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Just my input about injuries. You gave some good information and I do agree to some extent. IMHO...Do not worry about injuries since we are betting spreads and the bookies account for injuries and whether a person is resting for that game. Injuries should not be in the model. I do like this thread and I would like to contribute by 2 cents worth

Hey Professor...I agree with the Linear Regression model but there has to be things added to it after the model chooses the team(s). You would then have to narrow it down using a second type model that could include many aspects such as: Home Team and/or Away team ; a certain point spread range or ; we could have two or three different models and when we compare picks and they are the same, we all bet it. I would like your feedback on this and I do believe we can PM and then create and conquer the books. Looking forward to your input