Login Search

What's preferred? Yield or ROI

Last Post

Default What's preferred? Yield or ROI

Two questions...

1. Yield vs. ROI
I'm assuming its a personal preference, but since there is a difference in ROI and Yield, curious as to what is most commonly preferred to measure performance.

I know some may say they are the same thing...but they're not.

ROI is the %age your bankroll has increased from its initial starting bank

Yield is how many times you had to re-invest your say 100 to get to the 300, and the resulting %age profit made from re-investing.

Is one preferred over the other?

2. Yield

Another question, on Yield

I use a formula of [(aw - ab) / ab] x 100%
aw = amount won
ab = amount wagered/risked

But if you risked $1250 to win say $1190, is your Yield still negative?

Ex. 1190-1250 = -60
-60/1250 = -0.048 or -4.8%

So is Yield really -4.8% or did I forget something?

Thanks for the input. Yes - also following units won/loss.

Regarding Yield though, is the below correct as although it shows I won, thus making profit, the yield is negative???

Thanks in advance for the advice/help.

===================
I use a formula of [(aw - ab) / ab] x 100%
aw = amount won
ab = amount wagered/risked

But if you risked $1250 to win say $1190, is your Yield still negative?

Ex. 1190-1250 = -60
-60/1250 = -0.048 or -4.8%

So is Yield really -4.8% or did I forget something?
=====================

What I'm seeking (if it exists) is just one formula to use to calculate the yield since I'll be building this out in a spreadsheet and then into a program (the goal). In my research I keep seeing
[(aw - ab) / ab] x 100% , but I soon realized it doesn't take into account the above scenario where the amount won (aw) is less than the amount bet (ab)
I don't want to have to keep changing the yield formula (aw-ab) or (ab-aw).., so I assumed there should just be one simple formula that addresses the above???

Can anyone in here lend a hand to look at my spreadsheet to offer some feedback that the calculations are correct? Yes - I've got yield, ROI, units, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsguy_USA View Post
Looking for some help to validate the calculations.

Can you help me here, then I'll spread some Karma. If not..well..don't post.
If you think about it a bit longer, you'll understand that this is the best help you could hope for

ROI / Yield is a means to an end not an end in itself.
Also, how sure are you that you even have what you must have to even deserve ROI/Yield?
Some call it edge/positive expectation. After all, without it where all this ROI/Yield would come from.

So how sure are you?and where this confidence is coming from?

Quote Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
None. Most preferred stat is Total Units Won. You don't pay the bills with your yield stat. A bettor with %4 yield may make profit then a bettor with %12 yield..Total Units Won; your total profit matters most.
You must be kidding.

Two tipsters:

a) 100 unit profit with 5% yield.

b) 75 unit profit with 15% yield.

Are you saying you prefer tipster "a" cause he has won more units? That's the funniest thing I've ever heard...

Quote Originally Posted by Raizen View Post
You must be kidding.

Two tipsters:

a) 100 unit profit with 5% yield.

b) 75 unit profit with 15% yield.

Are you saying you prefer tipster "a" cause he has won more units? That's the funniest thing I've ever heard...
First of all, I don't "prefer" any tipster. At the end of the month, when eveluating my performance, I consider total units won more then yield because as I said, you don't pay the bills with yield/roi. You may have a very sexy ROI by making very few bets but a high-volume tipster can come up with more profit. It's all about money won. Not about stats like yield/win rate etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
First of all, I don't "prefer" any tipster. At the end of the month, when eveluating my performance, I consider total units won more then yield because as I said, you don't pay the bills with yield/roi. You may have a very sexy ROI by making very few bets but a high-volume tipster can come up with more profit. It's all about money won. Not about stats like yield/win rate etc.
mathdotcom has deducted 232 betpoints from Sawyer for this post.

September,

You placed 50 bets. All odds are 2,00 (+100/EVEN). Your win rate is %60. You risked 1 unit on each game.

Total unit risked 50. (You win 30 bets and lost 20)
Your net profit is +10 units. It makes %20 return.

October,

You placed 80 bets. You won %58.75 of these 80 bets, 47-33.

Total unit risked 80. You won 47 bets, lost 33. Odds are +100 again in order to make the calculation easy.
Your net profit is +14 Units.

Total Unit risked 80, Net Profit +14 Units. It's %17.5 yield but you made more profit then previous month.

If 1 unit is 1000$,

In September, you had %60 WIN RATE and %20 YIELD. Looks sexy, isn't it? But your net profit is 10,000$.

In October, you had a lower win rate and a lower yield, %58.75 and %17.5 yield..Your net profit is 14,000$.

Which one you prefer?

To have %20 yield but to make only 10k?
Or to have %17.5 yield but making 14k.

We're paying the bills with Total Units won, The Real money. Not with yield or win rate stats..

Of course, yield gives you a picture about a specific tipster about his productivity and style but there's no need to exaggerate it so much.

Have a great Saturday everyone!