Login Search

Handicapping Handicappers by Points

Last Post

Default Handicapping Handicappers by Points

Would it make more sense to track a handicapper by points instead of win/loss? In other words, assume they have the Celtics -5 and the Celtics win by 12. This would be a +7 for the handicappers. If they have the Bulls +4 and the Bulls lose by 5, this would be a minus 1. You could then keep a running total. Would this be any more accurate than a simple win/loss record?

I think this proposal is quite good. We know it works for teams in many sports far better than their W/L records. You'll have to proceed carefully to control for different cappers taking different types of lines (since the mean and the median are not equal for certain spreads in some sports) but I have little doubt, despite never having tested the theory, that you would get a much better predictor of future capping success by taking margin of victory against the spread into account than by using simple win/loss. However, I also would caution against ignoring the wins and losses themselves as there are various distributional reasons only one of which I've mentioned that can cause the expected win % and the expected mean to not correspond properly.

Quote Originally Posted by TotallyTilt View Post
Would it make more sense to track a handicapper by points instead of win/loss? In other words, assume they have the Celtics -5 and the Celtics win by 12. This would be a +7 for the handicappers. If they have the Bulls +4 and the Bulls lose by 5, this would be a minus 1. You could then keep a running total. Would this be any more accurate than a simple win/loss record?
This is called "action point" grading. This is a much better predictor long-term than plain W/L record once you get to a big sample size. The problem is that short term, your volatility is higher (i.e. +17 for that play instead of +1/-1). But with big sample sizes - like 1000, action point grading is much better.