Login Search

Looks Like Houston Texans About to Sign Matt Cassel

Last Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
Schaub starts, Bortles back up
From couple of days ago:

The Houston Chronicle's John McClain reports the Texans have been "thinking about" keeping Matt Schaub, but that he'd be "stunned" if they do.

McClain is Mr. Texan, so even an off-handed tweet on the matter is worth passing along. We'd be stunned, as well, while McClain talks as if it's a certainty that Houston will select a quarterback at No. 1 overall. According to McClain, the Texans may sign two veteran backups to mentor their first-rounder. Mar 6 - 1:19 PM ET

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
Schaub will probably be released
It depends if they can find anyone suitable to replace him. They already struck out with Cassell. Being a Texan fan, I would like if they could release him, so they have more salary cap space, but if they can't find a solid veteran, i think they're stuck with him for one more year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell88 View Post
seriously cant believe it.
on another note, Manziel is generating way to much talk for who he is. I wish he just stayed in college. I just cant see him panning out as a NFL qb
I don't see Manziel becoming a good NFL QB either, but he has his stock at a high level so he might as well cash in now, he could get hurt playing for free in college next year if he stayed

The problem is obvious. Ther are a bunch of "maybe" QB's out there in the draft. No one wants to waiste a high pick on someone who may or may not turn out to be the real deal. If Houston is smart, they trade down to get extra draft picks. Cleveland is the obvious trading partner unless they are not concerned about which one of three QB's available in the draft they get. They will get either Bridgewater, Bortles, or Manziel at #4. With the Rams at #2 and uninterested in a QB, that leaves Houston and Jacksonville as the two teams ahead of Cleveland who may draft a QB in their first round.

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
The problem is obvious. Ther are a bunch of "maybe" QB's out there in the draft. No one wants to waiste a high pick on someone who may or may not turn out to be the real deal. If Houston is smart, they trade down to get extra draft picks. Cleveland is the obvious trading partner unless they are not concerned about which one of three QB's available in the draft they get. They will get either Bridgewater, Bortles, or Manziel at #4. With the Rams at #2 and uninterested in a QB, that leaves Houston and Jacksonville as the two teams ahead of Cleveland who may draft a QB in their first round.
Or they could just take Clowney at #1 and see what him and Watt can do against opposing QB's.

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
From couple of days ago:

The Houston Chronicle's John McClain reports the Texans have been "thinking about" keeping Matt Schaub, but that he'd be "stunned" if they do.

McClain is Mr. Texan, so even an off-handed tweet on the matter is worth passing along. We'd be stunned, as well, while McClain talks as if it's a certainty that Houston will select a quarterback at No. 1 overall. According to McClain, the Texans may sign two veteran backups to mentor their first-rounder. Mar 6 - 1:19 PM ET
Schaub was awful last year I think that they will cut him and roll with a fresh QB whomever that will be (not Manziel )

I'm a long time Houstonian. What has been said in this thread is pretty close to what's happening here.

McClain has his detractors here in Houston but he's usually not far off the mark. I'm fine with him and he's usually the go-to guy when the NFLN wants to know what's up with the Texans.

Schaub gave the Texans some good years but jumped the shark starting in late 2012. Quite a few blame the degenerative condition of the lis franc injury he sustained a couple of years ago. I think he created too much ill will among the fanbase (and team brass) by single-handedly blowing so many games last year, that he won't be back. JMO.

At this point in time, Clowney is looking like the "safe" pick. A certain local faction wants Manziel. I love Manziel but not at 1.1. I *do* think he won't make it out of the 1st round, however.....

Bortles, Bridgewater, trade-down - those are all options being discussed on the local sports-talk radio. Still two months to the draft - things can change.....

I still don't know why teams gamble on guys like Matt Cassel. Clearly it was just the Pats offense that allowed him to succeed. So the real question is does that take away from Brady's legacy? (Clearly not - still won the big games). That's not here nor there. I am not sold on any of the QB's this year, but I find myself saying that every year.