Login Search

The 2020 Major League Baseball Player Chatter, News and Fantasy Thread.

Last Post

https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/pad...r-01etpqy66k0x

This a great article and highlights what a remarkable job Preller has done in trading for Clevinger, Snell, Darvish, Austin Nola and several bullpen arms in the past 5 months. After all of this, the Padres still have 6/7 of their top prospects and only relinquished 2 top 100(in all of MLB) prospects. I guess that speaks to the depth of the farm system he and his scouts have built over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post
https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/pad...r-01etpqy66k0x

This a great article and highlights what a remarkable job Preller has done in trading for Clevinger, Snell, Darvish, Austin Nola and several bullpen arms in the past 5 months. After all of this, the Padres still have 6/7 of their top prospects and only relinquished 2 top 100(in all of MLB) prospects. I guess that speaks to the depth of the farm system he and his scouts have built over the years.
I keep doing this with you and I apologize but it applies.

Look how the 2014-2015 KC Royals were built.
Pretty much same formula.
KC flipped Zack Greinke for all intents and purposes four World Championship players.
There's no doubt in my mind SD will be making deep playoff runs for the next four seasons.
(or more)
God I can talk baseball all day!

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
I keep doing this with you and I apologize but it applies.

Look how the 2014-2015 KC Royals were built.
Pretty much same formula.
KC flipped Zack Greinke for all intents and purposes four World Championship players.
There's no doubt in my mind SD will be making deep playoff runs for the next four seasons.
(or more)
God I can talk baseball all day!
I have been reading the Padres new feed since yesterday afternoon. These moves are for now and the next couple of years. Almost all key players locked up for 3+ years and the future has not been mortgaged. Preller could probably run for office in San Diego and win. I have always hoped that the Padres would win a WS before I die and now there is a legit chance for the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Heltah Skeltah View Post
The one team you never trade with is Tampa Bay.
Padres look like they won the off-season..how has that worked out since maybe when the Diamondbacks signed bunch of guys.
Darvish is nothing special at all..decent 3rd starter. Snell is legit but what does Tampa know we don't. Tampa always ahead of the curve
Padres did very well trading with them last year Pham and Cronenworth for Renfroe and Edwards. Renfroe has since been released. Cronenworth is now a fixture in SD's lineup. Pham was injured most of last year but will produce if healthy.

the offseason churns along and MLB teams continue to bolster their rosters with blockbuster trades and big-name free agent acquisitions, don't expect the Giants to fit that narrative.A
Should San Francisco make any further additions, they'll likely pass on anything major, ESPN's ESPN's Buster Olney reported Sunday, citing sources. Instead they'll elect for smaller acquisitions, with low-risk "bargain" signings in the free-agent market.

bah humbug

DEC. 29, 10:07pm: Both teams have announced the trade. The Cubs will pay $3MM of Darvish’s remaining money, per Jordan Bastian of MLB.com and Heyman. Darvish has $62MM left on his contract – not the previously reported $59MM – because of the incentives he reached for finishing second in 2020 NL Cy Young voting, Bastian notes.
DEC. 28: The Cubs and Padres have agreed to a deal that will send right-hander Yu Darvish and catcher Victor Caratini from Chicago to San Diego, Mark Feinsand of MLB.com reports. The Cubs will receive righty Zach Davies, shortstops Reginald Preciado and Yeison Santana, and outfielders Owen Caissie and Ismael Mena in return. The trade is done pending medical records, and the sides could finalize it Tuesday, per Jon Heyman of MLB Network. Chicago will pick up “a minor portion” of Darvish’s remaining money, Bob Nightengale of USA Today adds.

This deal does not come as a surprise, as the two sides had been in deep discussions about Darvish throughout the day. It’s the latest bold strike for the Padres, who are coming off their first playoff season since 2006 and clearly plan to vie for their first-ever World Series title next year. Even before landing Darvish, they made a huge addition to their rotation Sunday by agreeing to pick up left-hander Blake Snell from the Rays. They also agreed to sign Korean infielder Ha-Seong Kim on Monday, making for an epic 24-hour period of dealmaking for GM A.J. Preller.
The Cubs, meanwhile, are losing perhaps their best starter in Darvish – a 2020 National League Cy Young finalist – as well as a quality catcher in Caratini. Although the Cubs are just a couple months removed from their fifth playoff berth in six years, ownership entered the offseason unlikely to spend after a pandemic-shortened campaign. Indeed, the Cubs previously saved money by saying goodbye to Kyle Schwarber and Albert Almora at the non-tender deadline, while pricey third baseman/outfielder Kris Bryant has been the subject of trade speculation. It’s unclear whether the Padres will take on all of Darvish’s remaining contract, but if they do, that’ll be $59MM on their books over the next three years. Caratini’s much more affordable, as he will earn a projected $1.2MM to $1.6MM in 2021. Caratini isn’t on track for free agency until after 2023.
In heading to San Diego, Darvish will reunite with Preller, who was part of the Rangers’ front office when they signed Darvish out of Japan before the 2012 season. Darvish, now 34, has since enjoyed a terrific career divided among the Rangers, Dodgers and Cubs, and last season was likely his best yet. He ended up with 76 innings of 2.01 ERA/2.23 FIP ball, posted 11.01 K/9 against 1.66 BB/9, and averaged a personal-high 95.5 mph on his fastball. He’ll now slot in near the top of a rotation that lost Mike Clevinger to Tommy John surgery but will still feature Snell, Dinelson Lamet and Chris Paddack as locks for rotation jobs (barring other aggressive moves). The Padres also boast multiple high-end pitching prospects, including MacKenzie Gore.
Caratini, 27, was Darvish’s personal catcher in Chicago, but he was a reserve behind No. 1 backstop Willson Contreras. Caratini debuted with the Cubs in 2017 and has since offered passable offense relative to his position, having batted .250/.327/.372 in 677 plate appearances. Caratini was also a well-regarded defender in Chicago, including when he ranked in Statcast’s 98th percentile in the pitch-framing department last season. He’ll join Austin Nola and Luis Campusano as catchers on the Padres’ 40-man roster.
For the Cubs, this deal represents their first blockbuster trade under new president of baseball operations Jed Hoyer, their former GM who earned a promotion after Theo Epstein stepped down in November. Losing Darvish and Caratini may not go over well for their fan base, but the Cubs are banking on Davies helping replace Darvish in 2021 and the young talent they received emerging as cornerstones.
Davies was somewhat quietly a top-tier starter in 2020, his only year as a Padre, as he recorded 69 1/3 frames of 2.73 ERA/3.88 FIP ball with 8.18 K/9 and 2.47 BB/9. He should look good alongside Kyle Hendricks as the Cubs’ one-two in 2021, though the 27-year-old Davies isn’t controllable beyond then. He’ll earn a projected $6.3MM to $10.6MM via arbitration next season.
The rest of the Cubs’ return doesn’t consist of any elite farmhands, but Kyle Glaser of Baseball America notes that BA was planning to rank Preciado (No. 15), Mena (17), Santana (18) and Caissie (20) among the Padres’ 20 best prospects in its upcoming Prospect Handbook.
Just 17 years old, BA rated Preciado 23rd in the Padres’ farm system midway through last season, writing that the 6-foot-4 switch hitter’s “frame provides hope he can grow into 20-plus home run power as he matures physically.”
Mena, 18, signed an expensive $2.2MM bonus with the Padres out of the Dominican Republic during the 2019-20 international signing period. BA lauded Mena’s speed, range and potential 15- to 20-home run power earlier this year.
The 20-year-old Santana put up impressive production in rookie ball from 2018-19, when he combined for a .306/.418/.425 line in 365 plate appearances. The Canadian-born Caissie, 18, was a second-round pick (No. 45) of the Padres last summer. BA wrote before the draft that Caissie possesses “exciting upside,” though there are “some significant swing-and-miss concerns” in his game.
All things considered, this looks like a trade between two NL playoff teams going in different directions. The Padres appear to be all in on playing for a championship in 2021. It’s hard to say the same for the Cubs, who seem to be a club in retooling mode.

It is refreshing to see a "little guy" like the small market Padres push all their chips to the middle and go after a World Series championship. They've been gearing for this ever since they landed Machado and now they look like a serious contender on a short list of World Series favorites in 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by jrgum3 View Post
It is refreshing to see a "little guy" like the small market Padres push all their chips to the middle and go after a World Series championship. They've been gearing for this ever since they landed Machado and now they look like a serious contender on a short list of World Series favorites in 2021.
Yeah.
Like he ‘84 Tigers when I was a kid.
Detroit wasn’t LA, or Boston, or NYC
That was a great team for a smaller market, like the Twins with Puckett.
Another smaller market team that was easy to root for.
SD now, same scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by jrgum3 View Post
Now Preller needs to focus on the bullpen. We need a closer with Yates and Rosenthal both free agents. I'd like to bring Yates back assuming he is healthy.