Login Search

closer watch 2014

Last Post

great call andy, you beat me to it! david robertson of the yankees has a mild groin strain. wont be out too too long, but he is on the 15 day dl. grab shawn kelley if available.

taking a look at houstons bullpen (hey even the worst teams can win 40-50 games), it is pretty in flux right now due to jessie crain being hurt. i actually dont see crain as a long term closer solution, i never thought he was THAT good...they have an emerging guy, Josh Fields...2 clean appearances, astros winning a few games here and there, could be worth a stash at least until some more save chances come and we get a better idea. he has recorded the past 2 for them i believe

So updating a previous item I had on here, we might want to take another look into the brewers closer situation. Right now, K-Rod is being used in the 9th. however, last night jim henderson pitched a perfect 9th inning, although with a large lead in somewhat of "garbage time", but his lowest fastball came in at 94 and his high was 97, his velocity seems to be back in the mid 90s where it was when he was their top option. could be good news for his chances to get back into the 9th, if someone dropped him in your league you may want to stash now...

what a mess this season has been so far already! closers basically wreaked havoc around the league last night

-blown save from jim johnson...he is on the hot seat, but i wouldnt rush to drop him. i think he will right the ship, oakland is paying him too much to close games (terrible deal from the get-go IMO). that being said, if you drafted jim johnson, you may already know from the past few years that he is a high wire act and basically i would advise against watching any of his innings if you value your blood pressure

-blown save from joe nathan...now this one worries me. he reportedly had "dead arm" though he swears its not a "newsworthy item" well hes the first closer i drafted, so to me this is newsworthy. i hate that i drafted nathan already. hopefully he can turn this around, but he has just looked dreadful so far. the bright side is that detroit doesnt have great options in the pen...maybe rick porcello? phil coke is downright awful and they know this

-shawn kelley blew the save for the yankees in his first real shot since being named closer...this situation isnt really that high priority, he will remain the closer (unless he keeps blowing them) just until robertson comes back which shouldnt be too long anyways

these are tough situations because there is a lot of grey area. sure, these guys have sucked to start the year, but they are pretty high paid closers that are entrenched in their roles. still, especially in the closer streaming game, you need to be proactive rather than reactive. its not always a bad idea to handcuff or speculate if you can get a live arm that eventually takes over.

some hedging options: luke gregerson (oak), ryan cook (oak), rick porcello (det), matt thornton (nyy)

sorry fellas didnt get a chance to update today but yes, Johnson is out as the closer in Oakland. pretty surprised he had such a short leash. my take is that oakland will use a committee until he rights the ship in some lower pressure innings. its a sucky situation, but i just put my bet on luke gregerson in my league...ryan cook is probably the best closer of that bunch but hes fresh off the DL. Im hoping gregerson can get a couple clean saves under his belt and grab hold of the job...they are paying johnson a lot to close though so im sure hell get it back eventually

quick update on valverde, he had a clean save last night and also threw his splitter for the first time in years... if he can get that pitch going regularly he could really reward owners who took a flyer on him