Login Search

The 2014 Major League Baseball Player Chatter, News and Fantasy Thread

Last Post

The Atlanta Braves have entered the Yasmany Tomas sweepstakes as a dark horse.
The Braves are slated to watch Tomas and his exploits in coming days, according to sources.
They join a big field eyeing the free-agent Cuban slugger. The Phillies, Padres and Giants have been seen as the most aggressive pursuers of the outfielder/third baseman, but there's been a lot of talk about a mystery team winning his services in recent days.
The Braves could qualify as a surprise team, but they recently made room in the outfield by trading Jason Heyward. They also have been in trade talks involving outfielders Justin Upton and Evan Gattis, but new Braves president of baseball operations John Hart has long loved power hitters, as folks may recall from his Cleveland and Texas days.
The Royals are one of many others that have scouted Tomas recently, too.
Tomas, 24, is looking to beat Rusney Castillo's record $72.5 million signing by the Red Sox.
Tomas could wait until the Winter Meetings before he signs. It was reported here Thursday that Tomas has obtained a **** and could talk face-to-face with teams at the league-wide event that begins Dec. 8 in San Diego.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSpoon View Post
Red Sox offering Pablo Sandoval 5 years and $95M. His agent wants a 6 year deal. Silly money.
I just looked it up. He is 28 years old.

I really thought that he was older for some reason.

I might, a big might, sign him for a 5 year deal.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSpoon View Post
I guess they will try and trade Cespedes for a starting pitcher and try to sign Lester as well.
Yeah, they're in a very nice position right now.

Quote Originally Posted by koz-man View Post
I just looked it up. He is 28 years old.

I really thought that he was older for some reason.

I might, a big might, sign him for a 5 year deal.
Quote Originally Posted by EmpireMaker View Post
Panda looks older, and if he doesn't control his weight it will take more and more of a toll on him as he ages. I would still stay far away.
I hope Boston included a nutritionist along with all that money.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_of_Spades View Post
Sox get Panda and Hanley. Thats 50+ Homers right there.
I agree. I expect them both to put up some big numbers for the Red Sox. They'll likely enjoy hitting in Fenway.

Report: Cubs make substantial offer to Lester

The Cubs have reportedly extended a six-year offer to Jon Lester that is worth an amount “north of” $135 million, according to CSNChicago.com’s David Kaplan.
The Cubs’ reported offer exceeds the current six-year offer from the Red Sox that is believed to be in the $110-120 million range. It was reported earlier in the day that Lester could ultimately strike a deal with an average annual value exceeding $25 million. This latest news suggests that’s certainly a possibility as the market for Lester begins to really heat up.
Lester is expected to meet with the Cardinals and Giants at some point next week, while the Braves also remain interested in the left-hander. All three teams, in addition to the Cubs and Red Sox, could use another top-end starter. The Cardinals could use Lester to off-set the loss of Shelby Miller, while the Giants’ rotation remains extremely unclear behind ace Madison Bumgarner and the Braves continue to try and bolster their rotation.
The Cubs certainly remain a front-runner in the Lester sweepstakes and extending an offer such as this one could put some pressure on the other teams in pursuit