Login Search

The 2014 Major League Baseball Player Chatter, News and Fantasy Thread

Last Post

Quote Originally Posted by koz-man View Post
Cincinnati Reds pitcher Homer Bailey will undergo elbow surgery Friday to repair a torn flexor tendon. Bailey was placed on the 60-day disabled list this week, ending his season. He has been on the DL since Aug. 16.
"We have tried to take a conservative approach, but it's not healing so we have decided to repair that tendon," Reds trainer Paul Lessard said.
Bailey, who signed a $105 million contract extension in February, was 9-5 with a 3.71 ERA over 23 starts this season.
Asked about the recovery time, Lessard said, "He should be ready to go by spring training."
Yeah, with a $105 million contract he damn well better be!!!

Quote Originally Posted by EmpireMaker View Post
MILWAUKEE -- Making his first start for the Cardinals since June 17, right-hander Michael Wacha pitched the first three innings of the club's series opener against the Brewers on Thursday night before handing a two-run lead over to left-hander Marco Gonzales.
The Cardinals chose to have Wacha start in a key division matchup rather than send him to Triple-A for another rehab appearance. The club felt comfortable extending him to a pitch count of 50, of which the last induced an inning-ending double play in a nine-pitch third.

Wacha, who missed 11 weeks with a stress reaction in his right shoulder, threw 34 of his pitches for strikes and showed an unusually high reliance on his curveball, throwing 18. He allowed one run in the first inning on consecutive one-out hits by Gerardo Parra and Jonathan Lucroy, but limited Milwaukee to only two other baserunners (a single and a walk). He struck out three, all swinging.
The Cardinals, who led, 3-1, after three innings, plan to have Wacha remain in the rotation moving forward and will methodically extend him by 15-20 pitches each time out.
I hate to say it, but I really think the Cardinals will win the World Series this year...

MILWAUKEE -- Making his first start for the Cardinals since June 17, right-hander Michael Wacha pitched the first three innings of the club's series opener against the Brewers on Thursday night before handing a two-run lead over to left-hander Marco Gonzales.
The Cardinals chose to have Wacha start in a key division matchup rather than send him to Triple-A for another rehab appearance. The club felt comfortable extending him to a pitch count of 50, of which the last induced an inning-ending double play in a nine-pitch third.

Wacha, who missed 11 weeks with a stress reaction in his right shoulder, threw 34 of his pitches for strikes and showed an unusually high reliance on his curveball, throwing 18. He allowed one run in the first inning on consecutive one-out hits by Gerardo Parra and Jonathan Lucroy, but limited Milwaukee to only two other baserunners (a single and a walk). He struck out three, all swinging.
The Cardinals, who led, 3-1, after three innings, plan to have Wacha remain in the rotation moving forward and will methodically extend him by 15-20 pitches each time out.

interesting, you don't see that at the MLB level too much

Masahiro Tanaka suffered a setback in his rehab from a partially torn elbow ligament late last week and had to be shut down with what was ultimately diagnosed as fatigue. Tests came back clean, so it was a simple dead arm phase during his rehab.On Saturday, Tanaka threw 34 pitches in the bullpen at Yankee Stadium, his first time throwing off a mound since the setback last week. Afterwards he told reporters, including Chad Jennings of the Journal News, that everything went fine and he is over the arm fatigue.
“I feel that it's way stronger than it was, so way better,” Tanaka said. “I think the fatigue is done.”
“Not worried (about how the arm will feel tomorrow),” Tanaka said. “One, because it was a bullpen today, and two, that I really do feel that I'm getting stronger, so I'm really not worried about it.”
Manager Joe Girardi said he will get together with Tanaka, the training staff and everyone else involved to discuss the next step. Tanaka could face hitters in either live batting practice or a simulated game in the coming days.
Prior to the setback, Tanaka had thrown two simulated games and stretched his pitch count up to 49. The Yankees were -- and still are, at this point -- planning to have him make a few starts later this month. Tommy John surgery will remain a possibility until he gets back into game action and shows the elbow ligament is sound following a platelet-rich plasma treatment and rehab.
Tanaka, 25, is 12-4 with a 2.51 ERA (153 ERA+), 1.01 WHIP and 135 strikeouts against only 19 walks in 129 1/3 innings this year. The Yankees have 22 games remaining, so there appears to be enough time for him to make a start with the MLB team after throwing another simulated game or two.

Masahiro Tanaka suffered a setback in his rehab from a partially torn elbow ligament late last week and had to be shut down with what was ultimately diagnosed as fatigue. Tests came back clean, so it was a simple dead arm phase during his rehab.On Saturday, Tanaka threw 34 pitches in the bullpen at Yankee Stadium, his first time throwing off a mound since the setback last week. Afterwards he told reporters, including Chad Jennings of the Journal News, that everything went fine and he is over the arm fatigue.
“I feel that it's way stronger than it was, so way better,” Tanaka said. “I think the fatigue is done.”
“Not worried (about how the arm will feel tomorrow),” Tanaka said. “One, because it was a bullpen today, and two, that I really do feel that I'm getting stronger, so I'm really not worried about it.”
Manager Joe Girardi said he will get together with Tanaka, the training staff and everyone else involved to discuss the next step. Tanaka could face hitters in either live batting practice or a simulated game in the coming days.
Prior to the setback, Tanaka had thrown two simulated games and stretched his pitch count up to 49. The Yankees were -- and still are, at this point -- planning to have him make a few starts later this month. Tommy John surgery will remain a possibility until he gets back into game action and shows the elbow ligament is sound following a platelet-rich plasma treatment and rehab.
Tanaka, 25, is 12-4 with a 2.51 ERA (153 ERA+), 1.01 WHIP and 135 strikeouts against only 19 walks in 129 1/3 innings this year. The Yankees have 22 games remaining, so there appears to be enough time for him to make a start with the MLB team after throwing another simulated game or two.
In my opinion, the Yankees should shut down Tanaka for the rest of the season.

It's not worth bringing him back now and possibly suffering a more serious or career-ending injury.

MLB releases 2015 schedule

NEW YORK -- Major League Baseball's 2015 season is scheduled to start with a Sunday night game on April 5 and the other 28 teams will be slated to open the following day.

The regular season is to end Oct. 4, which means the World Series would be scheduled to start Oct. 28 if the current postseason format is maintained. A seventh game would be Nov. 5 under that format.

Fifteen openers are scheduled for April 6 and one of them will be moved up a day for an ESPN telecast, the commissioner's office said Monday.

Opening series have Boston at Philadelphia, St. Louis at the Chicago Cubs, San Francisco at Arizona, Pittsburgh at Cincinnati, Minnesota at Detroit, Cleveland at Houston, the Chicago White Sox at Kansas City, San Diego at the Los Angeles Dodgers, Atlanta at Miami, Colorado at Milwaukee, Toronto at the New York Yankees, Texas at Oakland, the Los Angeles Angels at Seattle, Baltimore at Tampa Bay and the New York Mets at Washington.

In addition to traditional rivalries, interleague play has the AL East vs. NL East, AL Central vs. NL Central and AL West vs. NL West.

The All-Star Game is in Cincinnati on July 14. MLB also said the amateur draft will start June 8

Quote Originally Posted by koz-man View Post
MLB releases 2015 schedule

NEW YORK -- Major League Baseball's 2015 season is scheduled to start with a Sunday night game on April 5 and the other 28 teams will be slated to open the following day.

The regular season is to end Oct. 4, which means the World Series would be scheduled to start Oct. 28 if the current postseason format is maintained. A seventh game would be Nov. 5 under that format.

Fifteen openers are scheduled for April 6 and one of them will be moved up a day for an ESPN telecast, the commissioner's office said Monday.

Opening series have Boston at Philadelphia, St. Louis at the Chicago Cubs, San Francisco at Arizona, Pittsburgh at Cincinnati, Minnesota at Detroit, Cleveland at Houston, the Chicago White Sox at Kansas City, San Diego at the Los Angeles Dodgers, Atlanta at Miami, Colorado at Milwaukee, Toronto at the New York Yankees, Texas at Oakland, the Los Angeles Angels at Seattle, Baltimore at Tampa Bay and the New York Mets at Washington.

In addition to traditional rivalries, interleague play has the AL East vs. NL East, AL Central vs. NL Central and AL West vs. NL West.

The All-Star Game is in Cincinnati on July 14. MLB also said the amateur draft will start June 8
I didn't know this...

PHILADELPHIA -- Josh Harrison was expected to be available to pinch-hit on Monday, Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said.
However, the All-Star utility man was out of the Bucs' starting lineup for the third consecutive game after tweaking his left ankle at the conclusion of a suspended game Saturday against the Cubs. Head trainer Todd Tomczyk looked on as Harrison was on the field at Citizens Bank Park early Monday afternoon, testing the ankle he hurt while making a running grab to end a win.

"We're taking it one day at a time," Hurdle said of Harrison's status. "We'll see. I might have some different information for you tomorrow."
In Harrison's absence, Brent Morel got his third consecutive start at third base.