Login Search

The 2014 Major League Baseball Player Chatter, News and Fantasy Thread

Last Post

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
I think he is the Phil Hughes of ninth inning close out guys.
Don't trust him.
I agree.! No way I would draft him. (Robertson)

There's always a die-hard Yankee fan that will grab him, just because hes a Yankee.

Quote Originally Posted by koz-man View Post
Looks like Manny Machado of the O's will not be in the lineup for opening day.

Hes recovering from scar tissue from his surgically repaired left knee.

Machado, 21, hit .283/.314/.432 (99 OPS+) with 14 homers, 71 RBI, 88 runs and an AL-best 51 doubles last season. He won the AL Platinum Glove as the best defensive player in the league, too.
Couldn't help it, koz-man!

Being a huge RHCP fan, this is the first thing that popped into my head...

AROUND THE LEAGUE

Jake Marisnick (OF-MIA). Marisnick had 3 hits (all singles) in 5 ABs against the Astros on Tuesday. The effort raised his spring average to .375, with 3 SBs in 32 ABs. Marisnick may be playing himself into the starting CF role for the Marlins, who seem to be souring a bit on Marcell Ozuna, who is batting only .135 so far this spring. If he wins the job, Marisnick could produce double digit HR and SB totals, although he is unlikely to help in the BA category (he hit only .183 in his cup of coffee with the Marlins in 2013, although that number was dragged down by a .232 BABIP). Although he would undoubtedly benefit from more seasoning in the minors, Marisnick would be worthy of consideration in NL-only leagues if is able to secure a starting job.

Alfonso Soriano (OF-NYY). Soriano homered and drove in four runs in a win over the Red Sox on Tuesday. This was a welcome breakout for Soriano, who entered the game hitting .200/.238/.200 in 20 spring at bats. Soriano could be a relatively cheap source of power in 2014, as we currently project him to hit 28 bombs (which may be conservative, given that he will be playing a full season in Yankee stadium). One thing to keep in mind, though, is that it appears that he will be hitting sixth in the Yankee order (behind McCann and Teixeira, neither of whom is exactly fleet of foot), so his RBI totals could suffer.

Anibal Sanchez (SP-DET). Sanchez will rest for three days after receiving a cortisone shot in his throwing shoulder, after being scratched from his Monday start due to inflammation in the shoulder. The Tigers claim to be unconcerned, but any issue with Sanchez's shoulder has to be a little concern, given his past shoulder issues. Sanchez posted solid numbers in 2013 (2.57 ERA, 1.15 WHIP), which were fully supported by his peripherals (9.99 K/9, 2.39 FIP, 2.91 xFIP). Moderate regression should be expected in 2014, as Sanchez benefited from an unsustainable 5.8% HR/FB rate, but he should, assuming good health, still be able to post solid ERA and K numbers. However, I would not break the bank to acquire Sanchez, since he has had repeated issues with health in past seasons (he have never managed to crack to 200 IP mark) and the fact that he is already experiencing shoulder issues is not a good sign.

Tommy Milone (SP-OAK). With the injuries to Jarrod Parker and A.J. Griffin, Milone will start the season in the A's rotation. He therefore becomes worthy of consideration in AL-only and even in deeper mixed leagues. Milone's 2013 numbers were somewhat disappointing (4.14 ERA, 1.27 WHIP), but there were some signs of progress, as he increased his K/9 rate to 7.25. Unfortunately, that was accompanied by an increase in his BB/9 to 2.25. If Milone could rein in the walks a little (say back down to his 1.71 BB/9 rate of 2012), he could have sneaky value even in deep mixed leagues as a streaming option for his home starts (3.44 ERA in the Coliseum, 4.69 ERA on the road).

Drew Smyly (SP-DET). Smyly twirled 5 scoreless innings against the Blue Jays on Tuesday, improving his spring ERA to 3.31 in 16.1 innings. Smyly had a fantastic season pitching out of the bullpen last year, posting a stellar 2.37 ERA (2.31 FIP), 1.04 WHIP and 27% strikeout rate. While he is unlikely to match those numbers (particularly the K%) as a member of the starting rotation, Smyly is someone to target as a possible SP5 in standard mixers, as it would not be unreasonable to expect him to put up an ERA in mid to upper 3s (3.83 FIP during his tenure as a starter in 2012), with a K% in the 22-23% range (22.6% in 2012). The major negative as far as Smyly's fantasy value is concerned is that he likely will be looking at an innings cap somewhere in the 170 range, given that his high in innings pitched so far is 125 in 2011.

Melky Cabrera (OF-TOR). Cabrera went 3-for-3 with a double against the Tigers on Tuesday, raising his spring average to .395. Cabrera is currently projected to hit second in the Blue Jays lineup (between Jose Reyes and Jose Bautista), which is certainly advantageous lineup positioning and which should boost Cabrera's run totals. Although Cabrera is unlikely to produce gaudy HR totals, we do like him to have a bounce back season in 2014, with a projected .293/.339/.438 slash line.

Ian Kinsler (2B-DET). Kinsler hit a three run HR and a double in the Tigers' rout of the Blue Jays on Tuesday. While Kinsler has been on fire this spring (.333 BA with 3 HR), he is going a little too high in drafts for my taste. I think the move to Detroit will drastically reduce Kinsler's already sagging power numbers and his SB have also been declining (from 30 in 2011 to 14 in 2013. We're projecting Kinsler for a .267 BA with 17 HR and 21 SB in 2014. With that kind of projected production, I will let someone else take Kinsler as a sixth round pick (current ADP of 6.02).

Marco Estrada (SP-MIL). Estrada dominated the Rangers on Tuesday, hurling 6 shutout innings while striking out 5. I like Estrada as a "post-sleeper sleeper" in 2014, as he was a popular sleeper last year who is viewed as having had an extremely disappointing year. However, while he is perceived as having been a disappointment, his final numbers (3.87 ERA, 1.08 WHIP and 8.3 K/9) show that Estrada actually posted a pretty solid (if injury-interrupted) season. Assuming he can stay healthy (which, given the rate at which pitchers are going down this spring, is a big assumption), Estrada is an excellent choice as an SP5 or 6 (we project him to post a 3.78 ERA and 1.15 WHIP in 2014).

Chase Headley (3B-SD). Headley has been cleared to participate in a minor league game on Wednesday and is expected to make his Cactus League debut on Thursday. Headley has been dealing with a strained calf, but still hopes to be ready for Opening Day. Assuming he's healthy in time for the start of the season, I like Headley as a cheaper 3B option. His perceived value seems to have plummeted in light of his disappointing and injury-plagued 2013 and, although he's not likely to repeat his 2012 numbers, we do expect him to find a happy medium between 2012 and 2013 (2014 projection of .270/.359/.438, with 20 HR and 9 SB). I would be more than happy to get that production out of a 13th round pick (current ADP is 13.08)

Coco Crisp (OF-OAK). Crisp went 3 for 3 on Tuesday against the White Sox, to raise his spring average to .357. Crisp appears determined to prove that 2013 was no fluke. However, his 22 HRs are likely not repeatable - Crisp posted a 12.4% HR/FB ratio in 2013, which is 5 points higher than his career rate. That is not to say that Crisp won't be valuable in 2014 - we project him to hit .273 with 13 HR and 30 SB, which is certainly production that can help a fantasy team.

Quote Originally Posted by koz-man View Post
Best wishes and a fast recovery to Reds A Chapman.
Yeah, that was difficult to watch. I've always said that I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often...

Quote Originally Posted by MexicanStallion View Post
Definitely a scary situation. We finally get Latos throwing and on target for a return, but Chapman goes down with injury.

Any word on how long he'll be out?

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
I hope Chapman goes on to a very healthy and successful life.... OUTSIDE of baseball

sorry i'm a Pirate Fan
Love ya, Arch!