Login Search

Gerrit Cole

Last Post

Default Gerrit Cole

Cole makes his first Major League start for the Pirates tonight. The first overall pick in the 2011 draft is taking the rotation spot of Wandy Rodriguez. but if he is as good as advertised, he will probably be up for good, especially with Jeanmar Gomez also injured. Cole has a 99 MPH fastball, but he didn't make the Pirates out of spring training because of command issues, and that has continued at AAA where he had 28 walks vs. just 47 strikeouts in 68 innings. He did get better as the year went on though and he tossed 14 scoreless innings in his last two minor league starts while allowing a total of only five hits, with eight strikeouts vs. two walks.

I read three different scouting reports.
Kid has a + + fastball, 97mph, but yes, major command issues.

He's rock bottom ghetto dirt cheap at DJ (188K) which means if you start him you can have pretty much any hitter you want, however, if Giants take a patient approach, and work him in the count, Cole will only go five innings, and if he gives up say 3 runs in 5 innings on 2 walks and 5 hits, you pretty much aren't getting anything points wise.

Believe me, I am tempted myself to take a rock bottom salaried starter that has potential myself, but there is a crap load more value in Cashner (SD) for a little bit more money salary cap wise than Cole.

Cashner is a very good dark sleeper tonight.
Cole is a high risk/high reward starter tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by dudekid View Post
i got him going tonight, why not? actually in one league i have cingrani, wacha, and cole all going tonight so im hoping for the best
3 for 3
Give Points

Points Awarded:

jimk6969 gave koz-man 100 Betpoint(s) for this post.