Login Search

Vaughany's MMA Picks...

Last Post

This can theory has promise, will be tracking it. Another angle that I like in this fight is that they hardly ever throw TUF champions or runner ups to the wolves. They usually give them a couple of gimme fights, so they can milk a few events out of the name recognition that they built on TUF.

Of course I'm not counting TUF champions such as Roy Nelson and Matt Serra, who already were well established pros before TUF.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Catfish View Post
This can theory has promise, will be tracking it. Another angle that I like in this fight is that they hardly ever throw TUF champions or runner ups to the wolves. They usually give them a couple of gimme fights, so they can milk a few events out of the name recognition that they built on TUF.

Of course I'm not counting TUF champions such as Roy Nelson and Matt Serra, who already were well established pros before TUF.
Yee this is true to a certain extent, I guess you could argue Bader's first fight against Marrero was set-up for him to get a comfortable win, maybe Andre Winner getting Roly Delgado as well, and perhaps more recently with Schaub, Mitrione and Madsen but I think in their case it's more to do with the heavyweight division not being as stacked as the smaller divisions. But on the whole I think the rest havnt been given gimme fights but obviously not top guys either...Escudero got Cole Miller in his first fight after beating Nover, Pearson got a solid veteran in Riley, Sadollah got Hendricks, Danzig got Bocek, Wilks got Matt Brown, and even Jensen was actually a tough fight for McGhee.

McCray does look pretty ripped at 170, he was carrying a bit of excess fat in TUF and he should be much more beastly at this weight. Although nothing significant, McCray was born and grew up in Germany so might have an extra buzz about him with the nostalgia of being back 'home'!

I was way off on saying gimme fights, although the early TUFrs were given Sam Hoger and Elvis Sinosic to cut their teeth on. Fairer to say decent match ups to test them.

Cole Miller and Matt Brown are pretty brutal tests though. Must have pissed off management badly by beating Nover, they wanted him to take off in the worst way.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Catfish View Post
I was way off on saying gimme fights, although the early TUFrs were given Sam Hoger and Elvis Sinosic to cut their teeth on. Fairer to say decent match ups to test them.

Cole Miller and Matt Brown are pretty brutal tests though. Must have pissed off management badly by beating Nover, they wanted him to take off in the worst way.
Ha yeah, Dana particularly liked Nover! And I think it was pretty clear that the load of middleweights in the Hendo vs Bisping season were very average so UFC knew that Wilks was never gonna set the place on fire, be an exciting fighter and/or be a serious potential contender unlike Bader, Pearson, Winner, etc... whom each covered one of those aspects. And yes the earlier finalists such as Bisping did have easier fights when they entered UFC after TUF but again I think that was mostly due to the fact that there just wasnt as much talent or well-rounded fighters 3 to 5 years ago unlike today.

UFC 122 Plays Overview:

3 units on Noke at +162.5 to win 4.875 units (plus stake); and 3 units on Kimmons at +185 to win 5.55 units (plus stake);

21.7 units on Noke at +162.5 to win 35.262 units (plus stake); and 21.7 units on Kimmons at +200 to win 43.4 units (plus stake);

2.5 units on Marquardt/Okami to decision at -137.5 to win 1.818 units (plus stake);

1.2 units on Soszynski/Reljic to decision at -120 to win 1 unit (plus stake);

1 unit on Soszynski at +110 to win 1.1 units (plus stake);

1 unit on McCray at -106 to win 0.943 units (plus stake);

1.3 units on Sadollah by decision at +150 to win 1.95 units (plus stake);

0.25 units on Sadollah Submission of the Night to win 1.75 units (plus stake);

0.5 units on Matyushenko by decision at +120 to win 0.6 units (plus stake);

0.5 units on 'Any under-card fighter getting Submission of the Night' at +150 to win 0.75 units (plus stake);

0.125 units on Alexandre Ferreira to win by Submission to win 0.5 units (plus stake);

0.825 units on Siver/Winner to go to decision to win 0.55 units (plus stake);

0.2 units on Soszynski/Reljic being 'Fight of the Night' at +500 to win 1 unit (plus stake);

0.5 units on Sakara/Rivera being 'Fight of the Night' at +400 to win 2 units (plus stake);

0.1 units on Rivera KO of the Night at +700 to win 0.7 units (plus stake).

Overall stake for UFC 122: 59.4 units

Guaranteed Return of at least (due to Noke/Kimmons 'Miracle bet'): 64.837 units (if Noke wins) or 73.65 units (if Kimmons wins).

I'm actually really large on Rocha. I know the record isn't that impressive when you see the other fighters records, but I did see a small clip of him fighting. Rocha appeared to have good takedowns. And the submission skills were slick. I think TUF 11 was one of the worst shows talent wise in the history of the show. I didn't think McCray was impressive at all during the show. The fight with McGee was not very good. It appeared that McGee had not improved very much in his fight with Jensen. I'm thinking that McCray will be in the same boat and not show vast improvement in the time since the show.

Good luck with the other plays.

Quote Originally Posted by Shagdogy View Post
What is the explanation for the Noke/Kimmons miracle bet? Aren't you half expecting a notification that the line was a mistake and that the play is invalid? How'd you get both at plus like that?
Paddypower released their lines and had Noke at 13/8 and Kimmons at 4/9. So I jumped on it, put a max bet that pinnacle would allow at the time of 21.7 units on Kimmons at +200 then put same amount on Noke at 13/8. Planned to put a lot more on but soon as I added another 3 units (as that's all I had left in my paddy account) they changed the line to 4/9 Noke and 13/8 Kimmons! I'm sure they'd of voided it already if they were going to, plus I think they can only void a bet if they've got both lines wrong. Moreover, Paddy have messed up before and I've taken advantage and the bet has always gone through.

Quote Originally Posted by The HOFF View Post
I'm actually really large on Rocha. I know the record isn't that impressive when you see the other fighters records, but I did see a small clip of him fighting. Rocha appeared to have good takedowns. And the submission skills were slick. I think TUF 11 was one of the worst shows talent wise in the history of the show. I didn't think McCray was impressive at all during the show. The fight with McGee was not very good. It appeared that McGee had not improved very much in his fight with Jensen. I'm thinking that McCray will be in the same boat and not show vast improvement in the time since the show.

Good luck with the other plays.
I agree Hoff, tht season was the weakest group of fighters yet with guys like Uscola who had a 15-14 record going in! But McCray did have like 4 fights in a very short period so he was bound to be tired, in pain and not in peak condition in some of those fights. And yes it does appear that Rocha has good takedowns, however these takedowns wer on guys like Mengulluoglu, Kadlubek and David Golberg who have mediocre takedown defence and are predominantly kickboxers, I'd like to think that McCrays wrestling ability, although not at a NCAA level or anything will be enough to prevent any takedowns and also get a few takedowns that steal rounds....as long as he doesn't gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
UFC 122 Plays Overview:

3 units on Noke at +162.5 to win 4.875 units (plus stake); and 3 units on Kimmons at +185 to win 5.55 units (plus stake);

21.7 units on Noke at +162.5 to win 35.262 units (plus stake); and 21.7 units on Kimmons at +200 to win 43.4 units (plus stake);

2.5 units on Marquardt/Okami to decision at -137.5 to win 1.818 units (plus stake);

1.2 units on Soszynski/Reljic to decision at -120 to win 1 unit (plus stake);

1 unit on Soszynski at +110 to win 1.1 units (plus stake);

1 unit on McCray at -106 to win 0.943 units (plus stake);

1.3 units on Sadollah by decision at +150 to win 1.95 units (plus stake);

0.25 units on Sadollah Submission of the Night to win 1.75 units (plus stake);

0.5 units on Matyushenko by decision at +120 to win 0.6 units (plus stake);

0.5 units on 'Any under-card fighter getting Submission of the Night' at +150 to win 0.75 units (plus stake);

0.125 units on Alexandre Ferreira to win by Submission to win 0.5 units (plus stake);

0.825 units on Siver/Winner to go to decision to win 0.55 units (plus stake);

0.2 units on Soszynski/Reljic being 'Fight of the Night' at +500 to win 1 unit (plus stake);

0.5 units on Sakara/Rivera being 'Fight of the Night' at +400 to win 2 units (plus stake);

0.1 units on Rivera KO of the Night at +700 to win 0.7 units (plus stake).

Overall stake for UFC 122: 59.4 units

Guaranteed Return of at least (due to Noke/Kimmons 'Miracle bet'): 64.837 units (if Noke wins) or 73.65 units (if Kimmons wins).
One more final play:

0.55 units on Winner by decision at +187.5 to win 1.31 units (plus stake).