Login Search

Vaughany's MMA Picks...

Last Post

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
Prettyyy sick card

The latest UFC on FOX 9 card now includes:

UFC needs to start taking the top three fights and make them a five roundesr or make all PPV fights five rounders. Those prelime u can cut back to a round if time is a problem lol

Quote Originally Posted by mirinquads View Post
^I don't know how many people Brown has to smash before people realize he's good. Not pretty, but effective. Condit gonna eat him for breakfast though, sadly. They should have made the Lawler fight.
if he is so good why would Condit eat him for breakfast? Let me know when he beats someone worth a piss and please don't give me Pyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor4140 View Post
im sure u will be all in when he fights Condit. Let me know when he beats a fighter on Condits level instead of the mediocre fighters he just beat.
Yes, all fighters who aren't top 10 are mediocre. Oh wait, Brown is top 10, so it must be all fighters who aren't top 5 who are mediocre.

Condit is a horrible matchup for brown. He is essentially a better version of him. I expect him to lose. Im not sure i would call brown mediocre but i think its fair to say he has beaten mostly mid level fighters. I think his best win was jordan mein. I would call mein mid t upper level. The rest are clearly mid level. A third of his win streak has already been cut from the ufc. Swick really isnt that great and has a lot of health problems. Pyle is decet but getting older and thompson was a rookie when they fought.

Absolute freak athlete (wins with a broken ankle!)

09/18/2013

Jordan Burroughs stands atop the podium after receiving his gold medal for winning the World Championships. Tony Rotundo photo.

BUDAPEST, Hungary – The legend of Jordan Burroughs continues to grow.

Not only did the unflappable Burroughs continue his incredible run by winning a gold medal at the World Wrestling Championships.

He did it on a left ankle that he broke less than a month ago.

Burroughs kept his composure in earning a gritty 4-0 win over Iran’s Ezzatollah Akbarizarinkolaei in the men’s freestyle finals at 74 kg/163 lbs. on Wednesday night at the Papp Laszlo Sports Arena.

Burroughs captured his third straight gold medal after striking gold at the 2011 Worlds and the 2012 Olympics.

Burroughs turned in an amazing performance considering he broke his ankle less than a month ago during a practice at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs. He broke his ankle Aug. 22, had surgery the next day and said he didn’t resume live wrestling until arriving in Budapest less than a week ago.

“The doctor put five screws in my left ankle,” Burroughs said. “I’m like Iron Man now. I was running sprints at the OTC and tried to jump off the wall to stop my momentum and snapped it. The doctor made it extra stable for me to be able to compete. He said he could do the type of surgery that would guarantee I would be able to compete. I was on crutches and I couldn’t walk for a couple weeks. I rode the bike and lifted and stayed in great shape when I couldn’t wrestle. I have only wrestled live once in the last four weeks and that was here.

"It's definetly the biggest win of my career. It's special, real special."

Burroughs scored on pushouts in the first and second periods to build a 2-0 lead against his defensive-minded finals opponent from Iran. He then spun behind for a huge takedown with 40 seconds left for the final margin. He outscored his five opponents by a combined 34-3 total on Wednesday.

“My ankle felt good,” he said. “I don’t have the full range of motion. I was about 75-80 percent. I tried to compete hard and give my all. I believed I could do this. It’s a testament to my willpower. I knew I could compete at a high level.”

Burroughs beat the Iranian for the second time this year after defeating him in the 2013 World Cup in Tehran, Iran.

Burroughs is now a perfect 65-0 on the Senior level since starting his international career in 2011. He beat another Iranian, Sadegh Goudarzi, in the 2011 World and 2012 Olympic finals.

Burroughs becomes the first U.S. men’s freestyle wrestler to win back-to-back World titles since John Smith in 1990 and 1991.

Burroughs becomes only the second U.S. men’s freestyle wrestler to win three straight World or Olympic titles. John Smith won six straight World or Olympic titles from 1987-92.

The U.S. has now won 36 World titles in men's freestyle wrestling.

The U.S. finished fifth in the men’s freestyle standings with 25 points. Iran edged Russia 46-44 for the team title.

Alyssa Lampe captured a World bronze medal with a quick 46-second pin over Melanie LeSaffre of France in women’s freestyle at 48 kg/105.5 lbs.

Lampe earns her second straight World bronze after taking third at the 2012 Worlds at 51 kg/112.25 lbs.

“I knew I had to come back strong to win a medal,” Lampe said. “I just had to keep focused and stay on my offense.”

Victoria Anthony dropped an 8-0 decision to Sim Hyang So of North Korea in her bronze-medal match in women’s freestyle at 51 kg/112.25 lbs.

Anthony, a two-time Junior World champion, fell just short of a medal in her first trip to the Senior World Championships.

Day 4 of the seven-day event is set for Thursday in Budapest. World champion Elena Pirozhkova, World silver medalist Helen Maroulis and World University silver medalist Alli Ragan are set to take the mat for the U.S.

FILA WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS
Papp Laszlo Sports Arena, Budapest, Hungary

Quote Originally Posted by mmaed View Post
Condit is a horrible matchup for brown. He is essentially a better version of him. I expect him to lose. Im not sure i would call brown mediocre but i think its fair to say he has beaten mostly mid level fighters. I think his best win was jordan mein. I would call mein mid t upper level. The rest are clearly mid level. A third of his win streak has already been cut from the ufc. Swick really isnt that great and has a lot of health problems. Pyle is decet but getting older and thompson was a rookie when they fought.
Brown is not mediocre, he is a very solid fighter, but Condit is indeed on a different level. Would be one of the biggest upsets ever IMO if Brown won this!

Quote Originally Posted by Thor4140 View Post
if he is so good why would Condit eat him for breakfast? Let me know when he beats someone worth a piss and please don't give me Pyle.
Because Condit is top 3 in the world, you foking idiot. People has been parroting this Brown is not good shit as soon as he started winning fights, please keep it going because its making me caaaash.

Brown muay thai clinch is great, and in corporates things most mix martial artists dont.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
Brown is not mediocre, he is a very solid fighter, but Condit is indeed on a different level. Would be one of the biggest upsets ever IMO if Brown won this!
Yeah i agree. I think its really going to depend on whether or not his wrestling is as good as hes been saying it is. He is extremely tough standing and can give anyonr trouble there. His jiu jitsu used to be a big problem for him so well also see how that plays out with condit. It will be interesting to see where matt brown stands.

Quote Originally Posted by mmaed View Post
Yeah i agree. I think its really going to depend on whether or not his wrestling is as good as hes been saying it is. He is extremely tough standing and can give anyonr trouble there. His jiu jitsu used to be a big problem for him so well also see how that plays out with condit. It will be interesting to see where matt brown stands.
Yee but even if he is suddenly amazing at wrestling and takes condit down i cant imagine him not getting swept or armbarred!