Login Search

Vaughany's MMA Picks...

Last Post

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
Like Melendez, had him in two parlays tht bombed the other night
I'm going with Barnett large now. Back-tracking on my initial leans has worked out well so far this year with Belcher and Hendricks among others. I still don't see Cormier being able to capitalize on a glaring oversight in Barnett's positioning (if any) with his counter-punching.

Functional wrestling, hopefully, will be the key here.

hey V, how about the always game Neer (+170) vs Pyle?

I think Pyle has been the beneficiary of favorable matchups lately and his MO of "killer in the gym/not the ring" might still linger w/ a guy as tough as Neer.

Has Pyle put it together and is a 5-2 fighter over past 7 in the UFC w/ losses to just MacDonald and Ellenberger, and ready to handle a Josh Neer who's past his prime?

or can a durable veteran take out a guy who's most impressive W in the past 4 years was outwrestling John Hathaway?

Quote Originally Posted by eligibletackle View Post
hey V, how about the always game Neer (+170) vs Pyle?

I think Pyle has been the beneficiary of favorable matchups lately and his MO of "killer in the gym/not the ring" might still linger w/ a guy as tough as Neer.

Has Pyle put it together and is a 5-2 fighter over past 7 in the UFC w/ losses to just MacDonald and Ellenberger, and ready to handle a Josh Neer who's past his prime?

or can a durable veteran take out a guy who's most impressive W in the past 4 years was outwrestling John Hathaway?
Neer could well take this...he's tough as hell and been training a lot with the Diaz brothers. Odds should probably be closer to +125 or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
Thanks, I try to remain as objective as possible! In theory perhaps, I'm sure many think this is a kind of warm-up, and I'm sure many are remembering Korean Zombie getting KO'd by Roop and therefore surmising tht this won't be much different as Poirier is as good if not better a striker than Roop. But we should bare in mind that that was the old Korean Zombie who was all about being wild and putting on entertaining fights with no focus on technique - "Zombie style" as he calls it in his blog were he talked about changing his style completely...

"In the end, a fighter who is all talk.

Who showed and proved nothing.

Drunken by the chants of 'ZOMBIE!!! ZOMBIE!!!'

Not even a single mark left on my opponent's face.

Even until the end, I was going for that one big shot...

As if going for a takedown were a sin, I didn't even consider it.

So, that is how scary and painful it is to get knocked out.

I can feel a similar pain in my heart...

On the way to the hospital - as they drew my blood and performed the CT scan - I could only think one thing...

That I would never fight again.

All I could think about was my friend, Jun Seok. I would go learn his trade and work alongside him, like my friends - at a regular job.

Returning to the hotel...after seeing the fans...and the smirk from George(Roop)...

I went to my room and sat down with my team, where the atmosphere was much more relaxed and calm.

As I continued to question my relevance in MMA...

Suddenly the words of advice that Brian had offered to me at the hospital, came to mind.

Fighting in Korea...fighting in Japan...overcoming all those odds, to end it like this?

Is this why I delayed going to the army?

Is this why I've been competing since high school?

The worst part being...

Is this the best I can do?

Am I only good enough to lose to a fighter who was perceived as mediocre by MMA fans?

So, I've decided to give this one more shot.

But, the pride I once had for fighting 'Zombie Style' has been shattered.

I'm going to change.

It's okay if you take away my Korean Zombie title.

It's okay if everyone boos me.

It's okay if no one in the world ever cheers for me again.

For everyone who has supported me thus far, that I have let down...

I make this promise to you...that I will never fight with the same style, ever again."

- Jung, Chan-Sung

And of course since that blog, he's gone on to win two fights in a row, both in spectacular fashion! And both showed great technique, pulling off a crazy sub tht had never been done before in MMA, and then KO'ing one of the best strikers in division with a counter straight right in 10 seconds!

So no I personally don't think the UFC have done this as a feeder fight for Poirier before fighting Aldo. Obviously Poirier is confident he can beat him as he was the one who orchestrated the fight by saying he wanted to go "Zombie Hunting"! And the UFC were more than happy to set tht up as both fighters are clearly talented and marketable. Poirier is a young stud, a good role model and has a movie/documentary all about him that just come out so is perfect timing to push him. And Korean Zombie has a big enough fan-base and a couple of spectacular wins behind him that are enough to give him a title shot if he does manage to beat Poirier...so either way it's a win-win situation for the UFC.
Well thanks again! I see you think Zombie's gonna win...maybe you're right about how it might happen. His Zombie style cam really pull guys off...Thats reasonable! You're a real mma fan as I can see! Here's a nice site where you can make predictions about the winner http://predictfight.com/ you might like it))
actually I even don't know who I bet on...

Quote Originally Posted by Mimialex View Post
Well thanks again! I see you think Zombie's gonna win...maybe you're right about how it might happen. His Zombie style cam really pull guys off...Thats reasonable! You're a real mma fan as I can see! Here's a nice site where you can make predictions about the winner http://predictfight.com/ you might like it))
actually I even don't know who I bet on...
I dont think Zombie's going to win, I think Poirier is rightly the favourite and expect him to win, but I'm just not convinced that Poirier should be a -300 to -350 favourite.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Shabadoo View Post
I'm going with Barnett large now. Back-tracking on my initial leans has worked out well so far this year with Belcher and Hendricks among others. I still don't see Cormier being able to capitalize on a glaring oversight in Barnett's positioning (if any) with his counter-punching.

Functional wrestling, hopefully, will be the key here.
I'm also going big on Barnett.. All my betting buddies are liking Cormier, but at -130, I will gamble on Barnett. Hoping his superior MMA wrestling will be the difference. I know Cormier is a stud wrestler, but I am thinking he hasn't transfered it to MMA wrestling. Barnett has the experience, the reach and is all around better imo. Got at least two units on him by fight night at -130, hoping the line will dive back towards evens..