Login Search

Vaughany's MMA Picks...

Last Post

V, I am on the Leroy side here at +150, I think he did great against Mackens and Hettes and obviously looked great against Cole (or Cole is now a can). Do you think the gameplan for Figs, is to take Leroy down here as he has a tendency to give up his back? Moreover, Leroy looked for subs from the bottom against Cole instead of trying to get back up. I prefer to take an athletically superior fighter in the 'coin-flip' matchups

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebubzy View Post
V, I am on the Leroy side here at +150, I think he did great against Mackens and Hettes and obviously looked great against Cole (or Cole is now a can). Do you think the gameplan for Figs, is to take Leroy down here as he has a tendency to give up his back? Moreover, Leroy looked for subs from the bottom against Cole instead of trying to get back up. I prefer to take an athletically superior fighter in the 'coin-flip' matchups
Didnt he get dominated by Semerzier? He did okay against Hettes, and his performance is more significant after seeing how easily Hettes dominated Nam Phan. I doubt Fig will go out there looking to get take-downs - if it's there he'll take it, but he's a striker first and foremost and will want to keep it standing for the most part. Cole isnt a can but his performance against Leroy was very underwhelming. I doubt Figueroa will be so tentative with his striking

The Mackens and Hettes fights were both at 145, fwiw. It's a genuinely hard fight to cap, both Figueroa and Caceres looked great in their last outings, but their opposition was fairly poor. As V said, after watching Hettes last fight, Caceres performance looks much better in retrospect.

Looks like a pick-em to me. Had to take the +155.

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebubzy View Post
I do agree with this. I like the price I grabbed Alex to out jab Figueroa.

Contender for FOTN? Obviously Condit/Diaz is the favorite, prolly as low as +175
isnt picking a south paw to outjab an orthodox fighter a bit risky?

Adding:

0.374 units on Thompson by TKO/KO at +350 to win 1.309 units;

0.332 units on Poirier by Submission at +400 to win 1.328 units;

2.036 units on Barao/Jorgensen to Go Over 2.5 Rnds at -162.5 to win 1.253 units;

1.724 units on Barao/Jorgensen to Go the Distance at -137.5 to win 1.254 units.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
Not really, I think Pierce has a decent chance - especially if Koscheck is overlooking him which he seems to be doing, and I like tht Pierce's strategy is to push forward and put Koscheck on his heels. Kos isnt the great striker that he seems to think he is, and we've never seen him display any counter-striking skills as he's never been on the back foot (except when GSP jabbed him to death). Just think tht Koscheck does have more ways to win and if it goes distance Koscheck is likely to get the nod just because he'll be the one with top position more often than not if it goes to the ground. If Pierce does push forward then Koscheck probably will revert back to looking for take-downs as he'll be out of his comfort zone - he likes to push forward sticking out the left hand and throwing the big overhand right...not easy to do tht when u are backing up
Agree...

I'm leaning on pierce as of right now, especially with odds value in mind. However I think kos is a rightful fav and that on paper I'd pick him to win.

However, considering pierce hasn't really been taken down and kept there for a long period of time by the great wrestlers he's faced (although I know the much larger coy and munoz kind of had thier way in teh wrestling with him earlier in his career), I have a hard time seeing kos being successful with tds followed by dominant ground control. I actually give pierce the better jitz too. Kos has better offensive wrestling, but I think pierce has some of the best defensive wrestling in the game and I think kos might have a hard time dealing with that.

However, as you said and as Scottie said on Kamikaze Overdrive said, I think people are incorrect by saying kos has better stand up.

I think pierce hs much better technique and a more diverse striking arsenal. He's also got a great chin, somthing that might be questionable for kos. If pierce can keep it off the mat and not let kos smother him, I could see him winning a dirty boxing match. I think it would be damn close and probably another split for pierce, but definitely possible, or at least its something I can envision.

Don't think it will happen, but I have a small gut feeling pierce could tko and stop kos - drop him via overhand or close quarters hook and pound him out.

I put 75 on him at -195, might double that as I research more. Either way a close fight and kos is rightfully faved, but I think pierce is a VERY live dog.

GL this weekend bruddah!