Login Search

Vaughany's MMA Picks...

Last Post

Quote Originally Posted by FightFightFight View Post
Neers wrestling sucks. Really surprised you see him taking this down. Ludwig is no world beater, wrestlingwise, but this fight is designed to be a stand up brawl.
His wrestling has always been his main weakness, but mainly in not being able to stop the take-down by his opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
I'm with you on Schilling. First round submission. Then he's gonna hook up with Rhonda Rousey.
But Gabe, he said this.... “I really don’t feel that much pressure. I feel like this is a great opportunity that it’s a win-win situation for me,” he said.

Surely that means he'll be happy losing and doesn't have any motivation like Belfort??!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
But Gabe, he said this.... “I really don’t feel that much pressure. I feel like this is a great opportunity that it’s a win-win situation for me,” he said. Surely that means he'll be happy losing and doesn't have any motivation like Belfort??!
being in a win-win situation doesn't mean you're not motivated to get the win that matters lol

pineda is really good, but i like this dude slightly better. won't be surprised if he loses though. not gonna go big on him. this should be a great fight to watch, for sure.

i just added the ", for sure." to that sentence, so now it's likely to end with a guillotine after a boring three minutes.

being in a win-win situation doesn't mean you're not motivated to get the win that matters lol

pineda is really good, but i like this dude slightly better. won't be surprised if he loses though. not gonna go big on him. this should be a great fight to watch, for sure.

i just added the ", for sure." to that sentence, so now it's likely to end with a guillotine after a boring three minutes.
Yeah, so why didn't u apply tht to Belfort then if that's the case?!

Yeah, so why didn't u apply tht to Belfort then if that's the case?!
did i say vitor was unmotivated to win? i thought i was saying that he sounded content with losing and didn't sound hungry.

i guess that's the same thing, though.

i don't think schilling would be content with losing, though. i think anybody would take their first loss hard, especially if it's not only your first loss but your fist loss in the UFC as well. no one can take that lightly. he is happy to be in the UFC if he loses (i guess he's confident they will give him another fight) but i'm sure he's gonna do everything he possibly can to win.

i think pat knows he can beat pineda whereas i feel vitor thought rumble could beat him.

did i say vitor was unmotivated to win? i thought i was saying that he sounded content with losing and didn't sound hungry.

i guess that's the same thing, though.

i don't think schilling would be content with losing, though. i think anybody would take their first loss hard, especially if it's not only your first loss but your fist loss in the UFC as well. no one can take that lightly. he is happy to be in the UFC if he loses (i guess he's confident they will give him another fight) but i'm sure he's gonna do everything he possibly can to win.

i think pat knows he can beat pineda whereas i feel vitor thought rumble could beat him.
I'll still be arbing out if I get the opportunity (if Pineda gets close to evens). I do think Schilling's grappling will be slightly superior but Pineda has a wrestling background himself and the experience alone may cancel out Schilling's advantages. Hopefully Schilling gets more action from casual bettors when they see that Pineda has been susceptible to being submitted in the past and that that is Schilling's specialty.

I'll still be arbing out if I get the opportunity (if Pineda gets close to evens). I do think Schilling's grappling will be slightly superior but Pineda has a wrestling background himself and the experience alone may cancel out Schilling's advantages. Hopefully Schilling gets more action from casual bettors when they see that Pineda has been susceptible to being submitted in the past and that that is Schilling's specialty.
I'm new to the whole idea of arbing and not sure I get it... if the line moves and offers a better line for Pineda, you would take that, just to make a few bucks, instead of taking a gamble and winning a lot or losing a lot?

I'm new to the whole idea of arbing and not sure I get it... if the line moves and offers a better line for Pineda, you would take that, just to make a few bucks, instead of taking a gamble and winning a lot or losing a lot?
Pretty much. Obviously, I don't/wouldn't always do it, sometimes the original line you get is worth taking the risk. For instance with Ross Pearson against Assuncao I maxed out on the Pearson opening line of -180 knowing (with considerable certainty) that he would get action all the way up to -275 to -325 range, so would have the opportunity to arb out with Assuncao at +290 or something for a risk free profit on either or both if I wished. But in tht particular case I thought it was worth the risk just leaving it as a straight up bet as I saw value in Pearson up to -200 range and fortunately it worked out. Sometimes though it is better to arb out - with Hominick I got the opener at -280, again knowing that it would end up at -400 to -500 range. As I was confident with my other bets on the card (mostly with Mir finishing Nog) I let it ride, which ended up being a mistake by not arbing out with Korean Zombie at +450 or whatever. Overall though, when you have a fight with two newcomers like this Schilling/Pineda fight I think it's best to either bet small, or look for arb opportunities for a guaranteed smaller profit. Way I look it at is that although the guaranteed smaller profit from arbing may seem small in comparison to what u could of won if you'd of not arbed out, it can still be used as a kind of back-up/insurance to betting on something which has potential for larger gains - such as betting on Jim Miller Submission of the Night at +500, or on a parlay or something along those lines for example. So say I arb out of Pineda at Evens and have a guaranteed 2 units if Pineda wins or guaranteed 3 units if Schilling wins I may just use that guaranteed 2 units on a long-shot prop or something.
Last edited by Vaughany; 01-18-12 at 04:09 AM.

UFC on FX 1 play:

10 units on Schilling at +140 to win 14 units.

Pineda has a big experience advantage but I think Schilling is worth a play at these odds....has a decent chance to get the submission in this one. Down to +115 now on BM

Adding:

1.2 units on Neer at +130 to win 1.56 units.

Small play at moment. I was expecting it to stay better than +110 for a bit longer. May add more later, or play Neer Inside Distance hedged with fight goes distance.

Very interesting and insightful video on Kamal Shalorus' build up to fight... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ2Go...ayer_embedded#!

Gives a clear indication of his game-plan for this fight. He is going to look to go back to using his base - wrestling, which he has not utilized in last few fights. Wants to take his opponent down and finish him there
Last edited by Vaughany; 01-18-12 at 07:59 AM.