Login Search

Vaughany's MMA Picks...

Last Post

I'm not trolling Vaughany. You just didn't understand my statement.

I was saying that fighters like Roy Nelson and Tim Boetch are fighters that would perform best at middleweight than at heavyweight. I never said Roy Nelson is a middleweight.
I'm making a hypothesis that Nelson would a better fight at middleweight if he decides to move down if he loses this fight.
And that Cro Cop has a better chance of defeating Nelson while both fighters are at heavyweight than both fighters were to be at middleweight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashinLeather View Post
No matter who he is fighting, a bet on vera is a scary one to make...
I know you're not going to be alone in thinking that, but I don't necessarily think it's true. He outclassed Soszynski for three rounds, beat Couture IMO, got destroyed by Bones who he underestimated big time (but who hasn't been outclassed by Jones), and got dominated by a roided-up Thiago Silva who was just too strong and violent for him.

For me Marshall is as close to a perfect style match-up as Vera could get. Marshall is not the type of fighter that is going to be relentless and aggressive with striking or takedowns (unlike Thiago, Jones, Sos and Couture who all constantly pushed forward looking for takedowns), nor is he going to be the type of fighter that is going to mentally break Vera which many claim is one of Vera's weaknesses. Marshall's lack of aggression is evident in all three of his fights that have gone the distance in the UFC (against Magalhaes, Brilz, & The Janitor) which have been slow plodding affairs and if you watch these fights again you can clearly hear boos from the crowd in every singe fight due to the lack of action. Marshall has mainly been matched up with wrestlers or at least grapplers with limited stand-up and shown that he can deal with them reasonably well (although he clearly lost the fight to Magalhaes IMO). However, his first fight against a half-decent striker in Luiz Cane ended quickly, although granted he was a late replacement, but late replacement or not it shouldn't effect your stand-up defense. Even if Marshall does drastically change from previous fights and come out guns blazing attempting takedowns, I find it hard to imagine him getting Vera to the ground or getting close to keeping him there.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
UFC 139 play: 44.408 units on Weidman at -280 to win 15.86 units. Have the option of arbing out of this with Lawlor at +333 on William Hill.
I beg of you, take the arb.

Weidman is one of the most overrated fighters in all of MMA right now.

Lawlor looked solid against aaron simpson, and arguably got robbed. Would you really take Weidman over Simpson at -280?

Quote Originally Posted by v1y View Post
I beg of you, take the arb.

Weidman is one of the most overrated fighters in all of MMA right now.

Lawlor looked solid against aaron simpson, and arguably got robbed. Would you really take Weidman over Simpson at -280?
No you're right, I'll 95% likely play Lawlor at +333 or hopefully better by fight time. Lawlor's wrestling may be good enough to keep it standing and if majority of fight stays standing it's a lot closer then the odds suggest, that's for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by johnmillions View Post
Vaugh been waiting for you to say something on Ben Henderson's next fight
I'm a big fan of Henderson's style and never been that impressed with Guida. After the Bocek win and Miller domination I think Henderson is rightly the -210 to -235 favourite, although I was hoping and expecting him to come out at closer to -175 to -200 range but I guess the Miller domination has left a big mark as I'm quite confident Jim Miller would beat Guida comfortably. In terms of how they match up, I believe Henderson is equal if not better in every area - wrestling, BJJ, striking, cardio, experience against high-level competition, size and strength. Also if you look at his previous opponents - Pettis, Florian, Sanchez, Danzig, Gugerty, Dos Anjos, Nate Diaz, Huerta, Marcus Aurelio, and Tyson Griffin - none of these presented the size/strength and wrestling issues that Guida is going to have to deal with in Ben Henderson. Meanwhile, on the other hand Henderson has proved against the likes of Roller, Varner, and most recently Miller that he can beat decent wrestlers emphatically. It would be silly to say that Guida won't be able to take Henderson down, but if he does he's going to be putting himself at risk of getting caught in Henderson's dangerous guillotine and with Henderson's tree-trunk legs and spring I doubt Guida will be able to keep Henderson there.

I've just added the fight to go distance to a parlay with Penn/Diaz going the distance as I think -210 is decent value. If Henderson gets better than -200 I will probably add him straight up in a double with Vera (when his odds are out) or something. If not I will probably play Henderson by decision. The one thing I'm most certain about is that Guida won't finish Henderson, so that does present some options to play around with.