Login Search

Vaughany's MMA Picks...

Last Post

Quote Originally Posted by Chairib View Post
Obviously I'm talking about Sanchez. Hughes' striking and wrestling are significantly better than Diego's. Sanchez is younger and has a better chin, but skill and strength wise Matt's got him beat. And other than Penn and Riggs, Hughes has not only faced more guys but the level of competition is significantly higher.

My question about Matt is how much he actually wants this fight. There are plenty of times when he's gone through the motions simply showing up for a paycheck. His first fight with Penn as well as with Thiago are great examples of that. If so, then Diego is going to win. But if he's taking this seriously, then Hughes by decision.
Key point in bold Have to question Matt's desire at this point in his career. I don't doubt that he still as a winner's attitude that he's always had, but you have to think that he's looking at guys like Lytle and thinking of following. Maybe he's thinking he wants to spend more time with his family and going hunting! Who knows, but point is tht facing a relentless dude like Diego who is re-energised and re-dedicated is a tough prospect when your heart is not totally in it. I agree though that Hughes is still better striker and wrestler tho

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post

Key point in bold Have to question Matt's desire at this point in his career. I don't doubt that he still as a winner's attitude that he's always had, but you have to think that he's looking at guys like Lytle and thinking of following. Maybe he's thinking he wants to spend more time with his family and going hunting! Who knows, but point is tht facing a relentless dude like Diego who is re-energised and re-dedicated is a tough prospect when your heart is not totally in it. I agree though that Hughes is still better striker and wrestler tho
This is the last fight on his current UFC contract so retirement is a very real possibility. This could be his last MMA fight ever, and I think that's a great source of motivation for him. Specifically, I don't think he wants to go out a loser.

Those pictures are really interesting. First off, he's back training with Jeremy Horn which hasn't been the case for a couple of years, not since he moved to the HIT Squad. And training with BJ? That's not the action of someone who looking to coast by in his last fight. He going up against guys who can really push him.

Forget about going for the decision, I think Matt's going to make him tap out. So if anything, you might have to worry about him being overly aggressive, trying too hard to make every moment matter in there.

I

Hughes' striking and wrestling are significantly better than Diego's.
I agree that Hughes' wrestling is significantly better, but his striking is worse. Sanchez, while relatively limited in that he throws the same one-two and one-two-headkick combo endlessly, is still smoother and cleaner on the feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladle View Post

I agree that Hughes' wrestling is significantly better, but his striking is worse. Sanchez, while relatively limited in that he throws the same one-two and one-two-headkick combo endlessly, is still smoother and cleaner on the feet.
Nope Sanchez has been and will always be painfully average in both those areas. He tries to make up for it, especially his deficiency in his footwork, with an aggressive brawling style.

Quote Originally Posted by Chairib View Post
Nope Sanchez has been and will always be painfully average in both those areas. He tries to make up for it, especially his deficiency in his footwork, with an aggressive brawling style.
Average? Sure. But he's still a demonstrably more effective striker than Matt Hughes.