Login Search

Vaughany's MMA Picks...

Last Post

Hey Vaug. Nice work. Volkmann was my largest selection of the night as well. Sorry that he didn't get the sub but I liked him a lot for Sunday. Sitting in Costa Rica before the SBR Bash so I didn't get maney posts in regarding the fights on Sunday. You better get your azz to the Bash next year so we can talk up some MMA!!

BOL on the next event.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDAY View Post
Hey Vaug. Nice work. Volkmann was my largest selection of the night as well. Sorry that he didn't get the sub but I liked him a lot for Sunday. Sitting in Costa Rica before the SBR Bash so I didn't get maney posts in regarding the fights on Sunday. You better get your azz to the Bash next year so we can talk up some MMA!!

BOL on the next event.
Nice one, he dominated a lot more comfortably then I thought he would, just glad I didn't arb out!

The SBR Bash has happened then?! How was it, any crazy shit go down?!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
Nice one, he dominated a lot more comfortably then I thought he would, just glad I didn't arb out!

The SBR Bash has happened then?! How was it, any crazy shit go down?!
Bash is this Friday through Sunday, but the Mrs and came down early for the whole week. I'm sure a few pics will be posted after this weekend.

British kickboxer dies after bout

Wed Aug 17 10:02AM
British kickboxer Mark Fowler has died after a bout in Australia. The 35-year-old, nicknamed 'Sharky', collapsed soon after leaving the ring following a five-round Muay Thai match in the Sydney suburb of Liverpool on Saturday.
He never regained consciousness and died two days later. Police are investigating and will carry out a post mortem to determine the exact cause of death.
The Australia-based martial artist was the New South Wales lightweight champion at Muay Thai, a form of kickboxing in which competitors use fists, feet, knees and elbows.
Andrew Parnham, a trainer at Fowler's gym, paid tribute to his former colleague on the gym's blog.
"Mark was a team mate, a role model, a friend, and a brother to all of us," Parnham wrote.
"May you rest in peace brother."
WBC Muay Thai Asia Pacific president Pamorn Martdee also paid his respects.
"In the ring he was a force to be reckoned with," he said.
"A champion in every sense of the word, a keen sportsman always with a smile, you could just tell he was passionate about Muay Thai and life."
Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 05-13-15 at 05:19 PM. Reason: image does not exist

i hate being a smug prick(not really),but i think this poll gives us an idea of just how the fan boys that populate some of the major mma sites think....the most anticipated fights of august poll....

Rashad Evans vs. Tito Ortiz (UFC 133)14%.....?????????????????????????

Vitor Belfort vs. Yoshihiro Akiyama (UFC 133)5%

Chad Mendes vs. Rani Yahya (UFC 133)0%

Dan Hardy vs. Chris Lytle (UFC on Versus 5)5%

Jim Miller vs. Ben Henderson (UFC on Versus 5)12%

Donald Cerrone vs. Charles Oliveira (UFC on Versus 5)7%.....???????????????

Pat Curran vs. Marlon Sandro (Bellator 48)1 %.....?????????????????????????????????

Anderson Silva vs. Yushin Okami (UFC 134)25%

Forrest Griffin vs. Mauricio Rua (UFC 134)..25%.....???????????

the lower scores for the excellent lighter weight fights is baffling to me...rua/griffin doesn`t excite me...neither did ortiz/evans....okami/silva?....more so than the other two...how does tito/evans garner more anticipation than miller/ henderson?

but sandro/curran looks like a great fight to me...i was absolutely goosed to see henderson/miller and cerrone/oliveira...seems like the lower weights don`t carry the gravitas of the larger guys even though in most cases they have better all around skillsets(with an exception here and there)....

same as boxing...the bigger guys carry the juice....

always seemed a bit strange to me when you figure that many of the truly great fights have involved guys like pacquaio/the marquez brothers/the recent mares/agbeko/darchinyasn/ perez tourney etc....how many heavyweight fights can truly be called great since lewis/wee-tah-lee?....the super middleweight tourney on showtime was a bit of an exception giving us some great fights involving excellent fighters,but we`re talking 168 pounders.......the ufc hvywt division is showing some life with velasquez and dos santos providing top drawer skills and action...but lesnar`s popularity?......the recent overeem/werdum borefest.....and that reminds why i`m not a fedor hater...the guy was a balls-to-the wall competitor...that`s why many of us looked forward to seeing him fight....he had a full skillset and came to fight every time out...

just an observation...i`m sure some disagree..seems like the "bigger is better" mindset carries over from boxing even if it`s basically more perception than fact......
Last edited by rocky mattioli; 08-17-11 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky mattioli View Post
i hate being a smug prick(not really),but i think this poll gives us an idea of just how the fan boys that populate some of the major mma sites think....the most anticipated fights of august poll....

Rashad Evans vs. Tito Ortiz (UFC 133)14%.....?????????????????????????

Vitor Belfort vs. Yoshihiro Akiyama (UFC 133)5%

Chad Mendes vs. Rani Yahya (UFC 133)0%

Dan Hardy vs. Chris Lytle (UFC on Versus 5)5%

Jim Miller vs. Ben Henderson (UFC on Versus 5)12%

Donald Cerrone vs. Charles Oliveira (UFC on Versus 5)7%.....???????????????

Pat Curran vs. Marlon Sandro (Bellator 48)1 %.....?????????????????????????????????

Anderson Silva vs. Yushin Okami (UFC 134)25%

Forrest Griffin vs. Mauricio Rua (UFC 134)..25%.....???????????

the lower scores for the excellent lighter weight fights is baffling to me...rua/griffin doesn`t excite me...neither did ortiz/evans....okami/silva?....more so than the other two...how does tito/evans garner more anticipation than miller/ henderson?

but sandro/curran looks like a great fight to me...i was absolutely goosed to see henderson/miller and cerrone/oliveira...seems like the lower weights don`t carry the gravitas of the larger guys even though in most cases they have better all around skillsets(with an exception here and there)....

same as boxing...the bigger guys carry the juice....

always seemed a bit strange to me when you figure that many of the truly great fights have involved guys like pacquaio/the marquez brothers/the recent mares/agbeko/darchinyasn/ perez tourney etc....how many heavyweight fights can truly be called great since lewis/wee-tah-lee?....the super middleweight tourney on showtime was a bit of an exception giving us some great fights involving excellent fighters,but we`re talking 168 pounders.......the ufc hvywt division is showing some life with velasquez and dos santos providing top drawer skills and action...but lesnar`s popularity?......the recent overeem/werdum borefest.....and that reminds why i`m not a fedor hater...the guy was a balls-to-the wall competitor...that`s why many of us looked forward to seeing him fight....he had a full skillset and came to fight every time out...

just an observation...i`m sure some disagree..seems like the "bigger is better" mindset carries over from boxing even if it`s basically more perception than fact......
ha yeah that does say quite a lot. I'm same as you, the Miller/Henderson fight was the one I was looking forward to the most, followed by Cerrone/Oliveira. And yes, I guess it's just engrained in society that "bigger is better than smaller" if that makes sense and tht tranfers to sport as well!

BTW, on subject of boxing, do you think Guerrero will decision Maidana comfortably? I've just got Guerrero straight up at -150 and arbed it with Maidana at +186. Risk free 6 units profit if Guerrero wins.

Quote Originally Posted by The HOFF View Post
Any thoughts on Sandro vs Curran?
I see it being a 50/50 fight or there abouts so the +126 on Pinnacle is interesting. But then I'm thinking this most likely goes the distance and is most likely going to be very close, so again your dicing with the judges decision. I guess Curran has good precedence with getting decisions though. I do think Sandro has more chance of finishing inside distance tho, think Curran can only win by decision. Gonna hold off and wait until Saturday, see what happens with the line movement

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
I see it being a 50/50 fight or there abouts so the +126 on Pinnacle is interesting. But then I'm thinking this most likely goes the distance and is most likely going to be very close, so again your dicing with the judges decision. I guess Curran has good precedence with getting decisions though. I do think Sandro has more chance of finishing inside distance tho, think Curran can only win by decision. Gonna hold off and wait until Saturday, see what happens with the line movement
I was kind of thinking the same thing. I see two outcomes: it goes to a close decision or Sandro catches him with a lucky submission.

Quote Originally Posted by sag3000 View Post
Man, how many units in total on Schaub by TKO/KO? :P
Liking that other parlay tho!
Quite a lot! Got two parlays involving Fight not going distance, and these two plays above on Schaub by TKO/KO. Im happy to risk at least 50 units on Schaub in this fight, will be doing a number of doubles including Schaub, P.THiago, Palhares, Alcantara and Barboza as well.