Login Search

Vaughany's MMA Picks...

Last Post

Quote Originally Posted by Chairib View Post
You guys are really underestimating the level of Lytle's grappling and submissions. He is very very good.
That goes without saying - if he did go in with the strategy of taking Hardy down and was persistent with it I'd have no doubt that he could control Hardy on the ground. I just don't see that happening, he's going to oblige Zuffa and "the fans" and keep this standing even if it's at his own detriment.

Quote Originally Posted by rochestertitans View Post
vaughny out of the 4 big favs which one has the best chance of LOSING
Tough to call, I like them all! But only takes a dodgy decision or for one of the fighters to have an injury to narrow it so thats why I avoid treble parlays. Ludwig probably has best chance of pulling off a TKO

Quote Originally Posted by Chairib View Post
You guys are really underestimating the level of Lytle's grappling and submissions. He is very very good.
I'm not underestimating his abilities on the ground whatsoever. He's very wily, a 2nd degree blackbelt in BJJ, used to be extremely aggressive with his BJJ and as I said, was choking everyone and their brother out back 6-10 years ago...but after his fight where he KO'd Bradley really fast, he said (and I think he's one of the very few guys that won't say things as a part of their gamesmanship, and the results since then have shown that) that he was going to drop his 'technical approach' or whatever, and since then, he's had 8 fights, and won 2 by submission, one of which was against a guy he'd already choked out once in Matt Brown, so why WOULDN'T he do what worked the first time? We've all seen how tough of a guy Hardy is, he's never tapped to anything but a choke (and that was at the very beginning of his career), and Lytle's two subs in those past 8 fights were an armbar and a kneebar.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
Yep, dodgy decision
I'd say it was a little worse than 'dodgy'.
Last edited by spargament; 08-13-11 at 06:44 PM. Reason: forgot to comment

V, I have a question for you, especially since you've gone so big on Volkmann. On paper, that seems to be the easy play, and I could be overanalyzing this (in large part due to the Villefort robbery last night), but what if any affect do you think Volkmann's negative outbursts about President Obama (which apparently got him a visit from the Secret Service, and put on leave from his job as a HS wrestling coach) would have on the judges (obviously subconsciously..I'd hope), if it went to decision?

The Villefort decision was really bad. He gassed in the third, but clearly on my card took the first two rounds. He almost finished the fight in the first round. The A. Byrd scorecard (30-27) was criminal and needs to be investigated. Villefort dominated the first.

The Showtime announcers were disgraceful also. Barely made a comment about the decision.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost kid View Post
The Villefort decision was really bad. He gassed in the third, but clearly on my card took the first two rounds. He almost finished the fight in the first round. The A. Byrd scorecard (30-27) was criminal and needs to be investigated. Villefort dominated the first. The Showtime announcers were disgraceful also. Barely made a comment about the decision.
Byrd is one of the worst I've ever seen that consistently gets assigned to major promotions to judge...either really really bad at his job or likes $.

EDIT:I was gonna correct my typo, but given the brilliance of posting a picture that displays her face, it makes my post all the funnier (at least to me)
Last edited by spargament; 08-13-11 at 11:00 PM. Reason: i was gonna correct my typo, but its funnier as is

Quote Originally Posted by spargament View Post
V, I have a question for you, especially since you've gone so big on Volkmann. On paper, that seems to be the easy play, and I could be overanalyzing this (in large part due to the Villefort robbery last night), but what if any affect do you think Volkmann's negative outbursts about President Obama (which apparently got him a visit from the Secret Service, and put on leave from his job as a HS wrestling coach) would have on the judges (obviously subconsciously..I'd hope), if it went to decision?
I doubt the judges have any idea that he said anything of that nature. In most cases, I would say that the judges of the MMA bouts follow the sport less than anyone else in the arena.