Login Search

Realization About MMA Gambling..

Last Post

Just goes to show how unpredictable MMA can be. as i was watching all i was thinking was wow edson barboza is just outclassing cerrone hes just on another level, then out of nowhere jab..takes back and its over. and this is the sport some people bet thousands of dollars on? how laughable, some fights you just cannot bet on

You must know where these fighters are mentally. Cowboy was there to take Edsons best shots, and was looking for the oppurtunity to win, and that's exactly what he did. Knowing where these fighters are mentally sometimes you forget about and you just look at how they fight. Skills are skills, but these skills need to be used by a fighter mentally focused ready to destroy.

Quote Originally Posted by BettersUnite View Post
You must know where these fighters are mentally. Cowboy was there to take Edsons best shots, and was looking for the oppurtunity to win, and that's exactly what he did. Knowing where these fighters are mentally sometimes you forget about and you just look at how they fight. Skills are skills, but these skills need to be used by a fighter mentally focused ready to destroy.
that's the problem, Cerrone is the best example of somebody who is completely unpredictable in that regard

It has nothing to do with Cerrones mindset. If you look at Barbozas fights this is a guy who has clearly been overrated by the public. He almost got finished by a mid level fighter in Castillo. Had a close fight with another mid level fight in Njokuani, another really close fight with Pearson who is another mid level fighter... And his wins are over bums.. If you ignore the fact that he is Brazilian and has a few flashy kicks he is a bonafide mid level fighter at best.

Cerrone does not watch tape on his opponents anymore so he is mentally strong from now on.. Its like watching how good his opponent is subconsisly scares the shit out of him and makes him hesitate. That split second of hesitation is all it takes to lose a close fight and make you lose your confidence. Cerrone reminds me of people who have had emotionally abusive or neglectful fathers because he can have confidence issues.

In hindsight Cerrone may have been one of the best bets of the year, im just frustrated that I skipped on betting him.

Your an idiot....nobody can see a fumble in football coming either
Quote Originally Posted by marzwoody View Post
Just goes to show how unpredictable MMA can be. as i was watching all i was thinking was wow edson barboza is just outclassing cerrone hes just on another level, then out of nowhere jab..takes back and its over. and this is the sport some people bet thousands of dollars on? how laughable, some fights you just cannot bet on

Quote Originally Posted by Becel View Post
Another thing, you are looking for fight metrics that MMA judges don't care about. Leg kicks have no value at all. A desperate successful take down after a full round stand up beating at the end of a round, well you can pretty much give the round to that guy. Statistics don't matter in this sport
Lolwut?

You do realize that not every fight goes to the scorecards right?

Tell Rick Hawn that leg kicks have no value.

Quote Originally Posted by NunyaBidness View Post
Absolutely, when I first started posting here it was to see if anyone was doing any work into it; I had just started working on modeling it myself, and wasn't getting much of anywhere.

The main problem is going to be that the type of data that needs to be collected isn't being tracked by anyone. You can't just lump in all strikes together the way they do in boxing. Even dividing it by head/body/leg or standing vs ground isn't enough.

Cagerank is a perfect example, they're trying to model based on fightmetric data, and its pretty much worthless.
I started on this path. The WORK is going beyond just "the regular stats" and turning qualitative data (takedown skills, stand up grappling skills into numbers) and then creating formulas that use a waterfall model based on those numbers.

It's also worth noting that "KOs" are the equivalent to "turnovers" in football. They are the most unpredictable element of this sports. The Barboza/Cerrone is a perfect example.