Login Search

Realization About MMA Gambling..

Last Post

Quote Originally Posted by PunisherIND View Post
lmao. reminds me of a fight i had in 3rd grade. this kid wanted to scrap. he was, lets say, an athletic and explosive type. so after school lets out, we meet up in the playground. the kid jabs me in the forehead and takes off running. hahah. still makes me laugh to this day. best part was when he showed up at my house later that night, with his mommy.
hahah my crew of peeps call them Canadians

Quote Originally Posted by NunyaBidness View Post
I'm not saying handicapping isn't useful, it certainly is right now. MMA betting is sort of in a sweet spot right now, where its large enough that books are opening up decent limits, but small enough that no one has taken the time to figure it mathematically yet.

There are some amateurs who are making attempts at doing so, and failing pretty miserably (see cagerank.com for an example), but eventually someone will do it.

Right now, all you need to be able to do is beat either Kalikas or Oddessa at the beginning of the week, but it won't be so easy down the road.

And some people here probably can't beat the openers; but there are still plenty of ways to beat the market without it.
Because either a) the talent will be better, b) more sharps in the market realizing weaknesses or c) lines will be more boxing like?

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebubzy View Post
Because either a) the talent will be better, b) more sharps in the market realizing weaknesses or c) lines will be more boxing like?
B Quantitative sharps will enter the market. I've seen a few smart guys making an effort, to no avail yet, but it will come.

And also C, to some extent. There are a specific subset of lines that have been wildly mispriced for years, those will come to an end sooner than everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by marzwoody View Post
Betting on fights is silly.. no one has a crystal ball, no one knows the outcomes.. you can study footage until your head hurts if you wish, And look at stats, doesn't mean shit. i have been taking a beating lately and losing past few events like most other people i have seen post there picks on forum.. the over/ under round props have more success but really? your making chump change with that shit. no one is making life changing money betting on MMA.. just a bunch of bums that may or may not make money on somebody else's achievements. The only decent way is to bet a large amount on a fighter your very confident in winning. betting on events every two weeks like most on this forum (parlays etc) is for the birds / people who like losing money, it ruins the fights aswell as your invested in one fighter winning for your own interest instead of just enjoying the fight as it is. Just speaking the truth. and this variance you gamblers speak of is nothing more then an illusion designed to make you feel like you have some kind of control over how things turn out, (which you don't) Just felt like writing this.

Peace!
Kid loses his lunch money! Another pea brained idiot bites the dust!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwil125 View Post
How so? I would think that would be one of the more important things along with bankroll management, hog analysis, etc. Being able to set your own lines that are sharper than the openers as well as having a decent win percentage appears to be the way to go in the long run?
Goes without saying tht Hog Analysis is most significant aspect. Everything else is secondary

Quote Originally Posted by TheCalculator View Post
Here's a few classic points (from Nunya):

1) Math is important
2) Line shopping is important
3) Having lots of outs is important

4) Not betting on or against fighters you've never heard of is important.
What do you mean by this?

Quote Originally Posted by PunisherIND View Post
yes to the first three.

I can think of exceptions to the fourth.
Agree, but I have said that.

What I meant is that you shouldn't be capping a fight based on the strengths of only one competitor. I think a lot of people who bet Mein never bothered to look into Perpetuo at all, for example.

The things you're talking about are completely unrelated to capping.

Quote Originally Posted by NunyaBidness View Post
Agree, but I have said that.

What I meant is that you shouldn't be capping a fight based on the strengths of only one competitor. I think a lot of people who bet Mein never bothered to look into Perpetuo at all, for example.

The things you're talking about are completely unrelated to capping.
that's true. i thought calc was listing general mma betting principles, and not specifically talking about handicapping.