Login Search

WSOF 9: Carl vs. Palhares (March 29, 2014)

Last Post

Default WSOF 9: Carl vs. Palhares (March 29, 2014)

NBC Sports Network, 9 p.m. ET
Steve Carl vs. Rousimar Palhares (welterweight title)
Marlon Moraes vs. Josh Rettinghouse (bantamweight title)
Yushin Okami vs. Svetlozar Savov
Josh Burkman vs. Tyler Stinson
Ozzy Dugulubgov vs. Johnny Nunez

MMAjunkie, 6 p.m. ET
Mike Corey vs. Shane Kruchten
Sean Cantor vs. Bryson Hansen
Chris Gruetzemacher vs. John Gunderson
Brenson Hansen vs. Boostayre Nefarios
Phil Dace vs. Danny Davis
Gil Guardado vs. Jimmy Spicuzza

Last edited by THE_LOCKSMITH; 03-26-14 at 04:07 PM.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Carl-Not-Worried-About-Palhares-Holding-Sub-But-Does-Think-Hes-a-Tough-Style-Matchup-65797

Steve Carl
defends his World Series of Fighting welterweight title Saturday against Rousimar Palhares at World Series of Fighting 9.

Ahead of the bout, Carl joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show to discuss his opponent, how he prepared for Palhares’ leg locks and more.

On whether he was hesitant to fight Palhares due to his reputation for holding submissions: “Not really, no. Stylistically is the only hesitation that ever went through my mind because stylistically he’s the toughest matchup World Series has for me. Before becoming champion, I would have been really hesitant about taking a fight with him, but once I got that belt around my waist, there’s not a person that they’re going to offer me that I’m not going to immediately accept the fight. I’m the champ. I’m here to prove I’m the best. That means I’ll fight anybody.”

On Palhares’ reputation: “When it comes down to him being a dirty fighter, I don’t really care honestly. If it comes down to him holding a submission when I’m tapping and not letting go, I’ve already lost the fight and that’s the biggest thing on my mind.”

On preparing for Palhares’ leg locks: “I’ve worked my leg locks. I’ve worked my attacks. I’ve worked my defense. But it’s not … like my camp was centered around leg locks. A lot of people, that’s the only thing they think about: ‘You need to train your leg locks for Palhares.’ Well, all right. Now how are you going to beat him? I’m not going to leg lock him; I’ll tell you that right now. So how am I going to beat him? I need to be training my skills so I can be sharp when I get in that cage, and that’s what I’ve been doing. I’ve switched my game up a little bit. I’m more aware of my body positioning and stuff when we hit the ground and even on the feet. You’ve got to be aware of how he comes in and get my hips back and away from him.”

Quote Originally Posted by Skel View Post
http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Carl-Not-Worried-About-Palhares-Holding-Sub-But-Does-Think-Hes-a-Tough-Style-Matchup-65797

Steve Carl
defends his World Series of Fighting welterweight title Saturday against Rousimar Palhares at World Series of Fighting 9.

Ahead of the bout, Carl joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show to discuss his opponent, how he prepared for Palhares’ leg locks and more.

On whether he was hesitant to fight Palhares due to his reputation for holding submissions: “Not really, no. Stylistically is the only hesitation that ever went through my mind because stylistically he’s the toughest matchup World Series has for me. Before becoming champion, I would have been really hesitant about taking a fight with him, but once I got that belt around my waist, there’s not a person that they’re going to offer me that I’m not going to immediately accept the fight. I’m the champ. I’m here to prove I’m the best. That means I’ll fight anybody.”

On Palhares’ reputation: “When it comes down to him being a dirty fighter, I don’t really care honestly. If it comes down to him holding a submission when I’m tapping and not letting go, I’ve already lost the fight and that’s the biggest thing on my mind.”

On preparing for Palhares’ leg locks: “I’ve worked my leg locks. I’ve worked my attacks. I’ve worked my defense. But it’s not … like my camp was centered around leg locks. A lot of people, that’s the only thing they think about: ‘You need to train your leg locks for Palhares.’ Well, all right. Now how are you going to beat him? I’m not going to leg lock him; I’ll tell you that right now. So how am I going to beat him? I need to be training my skills so I can be sharp when I get in that cage, and that’s what I’ve been doing. I’ve switched my game up a little bit. I’m more aware of my body positioning and stuff when we hit the ground and even on the feet. You’ve got to be aware of how he comes in and get my hips back and away from him.”
He's more focused on not getting into bad positions that will lead to leg locks. That is what is meant. I've listened to about half a dozen interviews of him & he definitely know's that if he can avoid getting leg locked in the first 5 minutes like Alan Belcher did than he has a great chance of victory. He has trained leg lock defense with ex-UFCer Kevin "The Fire" Burns. Obvious play is Carl straight hedged with Palhares via sub.
Last edited by Ron_Paul_2012; 03-27-14 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Paul_2012 View Post
He's more focused on not getting into bad positions that will lead to leg locks. That is what is meant. I've listened to about half a dozen interviews of him & he definitely know's that if he can avoid getting leg locked in the first 5 minutes like Alan Belcher did than he has a great chance of victory. He has trained leg lock defense with ex-UFCer Kevin "The Fire" Burns. Obvious play is Carl straight hedged with Palhares via sub.
Obvious play is obvious, won't everyone be playing that?

Quote Originally Posted by THE_LOCKSMITH View Post
"Jon Fitch gets next welterweight title shot, will fight Steve Carl vs Rousimar Palhares winner at WSOF 11"
John Fitch is one of the few ex-top MMA fighters that probably didn't use PED's. However, it is for that reason that he is now barely a top 30 fighter. Joe Silva is a master at judging talent & ability. He cut John at exactly the right time. Unless he finds himself a good Dr. & gets on a PED regimen he is finished as a top fighter.