Login Search

MD's House of Winnerz

Last Post

Most will disagree with me, but I favour Shields here slightly. In a five round fight, why can't he decision Maia? I 'capped him at -150 off the top of my head. Don't expect it to change much with tape-watching, as they're both very easy to figure out. 60-40 Maia at absolute worst.

He can out-point Maia on the feet and probably hold him down without trouble once Maia gasses.

I am skeptical Shields can outpoint Maia on the feet. I mean when has Jake shields standup ever looked good? The best its ever been was in the Tyrone Woodley fight and it was after Woodley gassed. Maia at least started working on his striking after the Marquardt knock out. I think Maia wins the striking. I think Maia can probably win the wrestling too though it will be close. He took down Dong Hyun Kim, Rick Story and he Fitch'd Jon fitch. Shields cardio might be a bit better than Maia but keep in mind this fight is at 170. Shields cardio has looked like crap there before. Maia might be better than him everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by mmaed View Post
I am skeptical Shields can outpoint Maia on the feet. I mean when has Jake shields standup ever looked good? The best its ever been was in the Tyrone Woodley fight and it was after Woodley gassed. Maia at least started working on his striking after the Marquardt knock out. I think Maia wins the striking. I think Maia can probably win the wrestling too though it will be close. He took down Dong Hyun Kim, Rick Story and he Fitch'd Jon fitch. Shields cardio might be a bit better than Maia but keep in mind this fight is at 170. Shields cardio has looked like crap there before. Maia might be better than him everywhere.
Jake Shields' standup has never looked good, and neither has Maia's, but Shields is excellent at doing exactly what he needs to do to outpoint people, even on the feet. It's all pitter patter jabs and low kicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebubzy View Post
When has Maia gassed? Weidman fight and that's it I I recall correctly
Grove. Munoz. Anderson. He even looked a bit tired at the end of the Fitch fight, and that was the slowest paced grappling match I've ever seen. Maia historically has horrible cardio.