Login Search

2014 MLB thread with friends

Last Post

Quote Originally Posted by EXhoosier10 View Post
first time i've seen him and his pitches all have a lot of late movement, but EVERYTHING is up. guy hasn't thrown at the knees all game.
His advanced stats are awful, and he basically walks as many guys as he K's.

The posters who were talking about how great this guy was when he first came up should be embarrassed.

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
His advanced stats are awful, and he basically walks as many guys as he K's.

The posters who were talking about how great this guy was when he first came up should be embarrassed.
terribly small sample, but IMO if this guy could ever figure out a release point and get consistent locations, he could be serviceable. At least better than Eric Stults

terribly small sample, but IMO if this guy could ever figure out a release point and get consistent locations, he could be serviceable. At least better than Eric Stults
That's basically what people were saying about El Duque throughout his whole career. Not that he was bad, but people think a funky motion and odd speeds = some sort of ace.

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
That's basically what people were saying about El Duque throughout his whole career. Not that he was bad, but people think a funky motion and odd speeds = some sort of ace.
Not so much saying he'll be an ace, but he should get squared up a lot less than he is now if he just stop throwing his 80mph belt high. Even if he doesn't K a bunch of people, the late movemnt should induce weaker contact; I haven't seen him throw spinners, he's just wild.

coin, what do you see in hellickson? i lean over because of him, but am considering oak TTo4
I know you asked coin but I was just looking at this game and here's what stands out. Looks like he's exactly the type of pitcher that the A's lineup likes to face. Gives up a lot of walks with a 3.29 BB/9 and average strikeouts at 7 K/9. He's a fly ball pitcher with only 30% ground ball ratio. Also, 0% IFFB means that these fly balls are getting to the outfield. A's are usually weak against good GB pitchers. A's MO is walks and HRs (which they've been slumping on lately) but they've been loading the bases lately and just not coming up with clutch hits.

I have A's at the runline but maybe will throw some on the TT as well. They have Coco Crisp in the lineup which has already paid dividends. But their power hitters Norris, Moss, Donaldson are in a slump. Also, due to injuries, Sam Fuld and Eric Sogard are in the lineup which are weaker offensive options.

Good luck dude.

Quote Originally Posted by turbozed View Post
I know you asked coin but I was just looking at this game and here's what stands out. Looks like he's exactly the type of pitcher that the A's lineup likes to face. Gives up a lot of walks with a 3.29 BB/9 and average strikeouts at 7 K/9. He's a fly ball pitcher with only 30% ground ball ratio. Also, 0% IFFB means that these fly balls are getting to the outfield. A's are usually weak against good GB pitchers. A's MO is walks and HRs (which they've been slumping on lately) but they've been loading the bases lately and just not coming up with clutch hits.

I have A's at the runline but maybe will throw some on the TT as well. They have Coco Crisp in the lineup which has already paid dividends. But their power hitters Norris, Moss, Donaldson are in a slump. Also, due to injuries, Sam Fuld and Eric Sogard are in the lineup which are weaker offensive options.

Good luck dude.
Firstly,
1, you're quoting hellickson's 2014 stats, which are from 2 starts. quoting the stats you are is meaningless.
2. re: A's are weak against GB pitchers -- you're a bit off base, actually (sub. required) http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=22435

anyway, appreciate your thoughts

Firstly,
1, you're quoting hellickson's 2014 stats, which are from 2 starts. quoting the stats you are is meaningless.
2. re: A's are weak against GB pitchers -- you're a bit off base, actually (sub. required) http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=22435

anyway, appreciate your thoughts
Thanks for the correction. Sub is required, but I'm just eyeballing from watching a lot of A's games this season. What's your take or the article's take on it?

Thanks a lot for finding this.

While this proves that A's aren't hitting ground balls as much as the league, this also seems to confirm that A's would prefer to go against fly ball pitchers.

Doesn't seem to be helping them much in this game though. Good luck on the TT O4