Login Search

2014 MLB thread with friends

Last Post

Quote Originally Posted by Smutbucket View Post
Keep up the good work coin but I think ur 1.5 unit per bet estimate is a little generously low...keeping accurate records of bet sizes is of utmost importance in handicapping....I'd much rather tail someone +20 units that's betting 1 unit a game and a max bet of 2 units then someone up +50 units but with a much higher bet size average of 5 including some large chase max bets of 20+ units....its all about money management and in my opinion even if you really really love an edge it shouldn't be more than 3 x your average bet size ….
You're probably right re: average bet size. It would be interesting to see what that # actually is. I almost never go above 4U, though I have had an occasional "big" play. Of course for me, a 10U play is only $200, where to someone tailing me at $100 per unit would be investing a grand in that play. Again, those plays can be counted on two hands during the last two years, but I have made a few of them. So in actuality, my amount invested is probably closer to $200,000 total in the last two years than $100,000.

Quote Originally Posted by KimJongStern View Post
I'm sure you've thought of this but why not take advantage when your red hot and grow your unit temporarily to cash in and then shrink your unit back down to its original size?
Because no one really knows when they'll get "hot" vs. when variance starts kicking them in the teeth. You can chase your streak either way, but that's not a very sound betting strategy long term -- whether your winning or losing. At least to me.
Give Points

Points Awarded:

Smutbucket gave No coincidences 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
You're probably right re: average bet size. It would be interesting to see what that # actually is. I almost never go above 4U, though I have had an occasional "big" play. Of course for me, a 10U play is only $200, where to someone tailing me at $100 per unit would be investing a grand in that play. Again, those plays can be counted on two hands during the last two years, but I have made a few of them. So in actuality, my amount invested is probably closer to $200,000 total in the last two years than $100,000.
When I see someone wagering 5-10u that normally wagers one or two units, I say to myself, I say "Self, this person really likes this play and sees a good angle, let's look at it and see what we think." I'm not automatically matching unit size, if it seems a strong play I'll decide how many units to wager.
Keep up the good work, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by whtsox13 View Post
When I see someone wagering 5-10u that normally wagers one or two units, I say to myself, I say "Self, this person really likes this play and sees a good angle, let's look at it and see what we think." I'm not automatically matching unit size, if it seems a strong play I'll decide how many units to wager.
Keep up the good work, sir.
Agree that it's all relative to your comfort level. For me, putting $200 on a single game is a lot -- especially as a high volume, recreational bettor. I suppose that if you are used to $100 per unit, having a grand on a strong play may not seem that absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmik View Post
Coin thanks for all the insight.
That's what we're all here for. I just wish 2DaBank, ExHoosier, italianbandit, tat, t-bone, etc. posted more around here these days -- I'm an amateur compared to their ability to break down a game or spot a great bet. This thread would really take off if/when they start showing up more often.

Great stuff nocoin. I always check in here before making my plays. Very helpful.

I had a question regarding the cubbies. If wacha is a -200+ fav, why is the TT difference only 1/2 a run. Waino was the same high priced fav but had a full run difference in TT's. Cubs RL has to be the play right?