Login Search

2009 Spring Training Play

Last Post

Default 2009 Spring Training Play

I have decided to start a Spring Training thread. Although I have been opposed to capping Spring Training in past years, I have decided that there is some easy money to be made if you do the right research. Sometimes, teams that are good in regular season play, will field scrubs against teams like Kansas City, who put in their opening day starters. My goal in this thread is to find the hidden value in these games. Let´s hope it works out.

For my first play, I am taking the LA Angels -105 to beat the Giants. There´s a good chance Tiny Tim Lincecum is going to be out today with the flu. http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/n...t=.jsp&c_id=sf. Bochy states that Monday could possibly be a bullpen day. And we all know how "great" the Giant´s bullpen is. Remember, Lincecum is the reigning NL Cy Young award winner and the pride of the Giant´s organization. If Bochy does what I predict, then he will bench Tim so as not to worsen his condition. Remember the last time Lincecum had the flu? It was during the 2008 All Star Game and he missed it. This is a similar game in the sense that it has no bearing on the Giant´s regular season. Also, Fred Lewis will not be playing in Monday´s game.

On the reverse side, Nick Adenhart will be getting the start for the Angels. He has given up 1 run in 5 innings this spring. While this is a small sample size, Adenhart is a prospect with everything to play for if he is to make the major league roster. The Angels are also 12-4 this Spring Training, putting them in 1st place in the Cactus League.

Congrats to those who tailed me on the Angels yesterday. Today's pick is similar in the sense that we are fading the same team for the same reason. I'm taking the Brew Crew -105 today because Randy Johnson has been scratched from his start. Bochy has declared today another bullpen session, with Billy Sadler starting. Sadler has an 18 ERA in 5 spring training innings thus far. The Brew will be sending Jeff Suppan, who hasn't been stellar either posting a 7.36 ERA in 11 innings this spring, to the mound. I consider this an advantage for the Brewers because they have a much better offense and they will have the opportunity to hit first. In the event that Suppan pitches poorly, I have much more faith in the Brewers relievers than the Giants'.

Quote Originally Posted by MJT1212 View Post
Cardinals Eat Orioles for breakfast, Live at 1:05PM EST!
QUite possible, but I have the O's here as well. The Cards aren't starting one starter today against the Orioles starting lineup. Both pitchers are struggling so this could end up being a slug fest that goes either way...but with the O's being the dog, I like the pick.

For today,
Cardinals -110: Cardinals will have all of their starters in today and are sending Carpenter to the mound. He has a 0.00 ERA in 19 spring innings. While Slowey has also been good, the Cards are 16-10 this spring and seem to take it seriously. Plus, the Twins are without Mauer.
Indians +110: Carmona is on the mound versus Lilly, who hasn't pitched many innings this spring as he has been with Team USA in the WBC. I expect him to get lit up.