Login Search

CappinTerps MLB Thread 2012

Last Post

The Post season: As I have done in the two other threads I will not include post season #'s. Last year we did well leading up to the WS and in the World SERIES had ST.LOU. in game # 1 for 2 units and ST.LOU. + 140 (4 units) to win it all. I have seen many post seasons and it is a different animal to bet.!! Some of you Phil. fans may agree. But for myself this became clear to me after the " David vs.Goliath" World Series of 1990. It was the Reds vs. the A's and every sports writer, radio announcer , TV caster mostly said dont even play the games just had over the trophy to the A's. They were heavy fav. to win it all for they had 27 game winner Bob Welch, 20 game winner Dave Stewart and Dennis Eckersley out of the pen with a 0.60 ERA. They also had Jose Canseco,Mark McGwire and Rickey Henderson. For the Reds all they had was Jose Rijo, Eric Davis and Paul O'Neill. In every game Oak. was a very heavy favorite. And what happened.??? The Reds swept them 4 games to zero.!! I remember this well because some of the guys I worked with bet Oakland every game and doubled down their next bet. It was found out a few weeks later that G.A. had a 10 fold increase in phone calls,so many people were in trouble. I hope some out there found this interesting and may use some caution when betting big chalk in baseball.!!.........GL

Thinking of the old days : After writing that post about the 1990 WS, it brought back some memories of days past which some may find interesting. The year was 1988 and there was a guy named Benjamin Lee Eckstein who would put out a pitching form with a pick in the NY Daily News. His 1st pick of the new season was Baltimore and they lost so he kept on picking Balt. on and on (every day) for about 12 days. The O's were now 0-12 so now he stopped his daily picks.( the paper got many angry calls) A guy I worked with said now is the time to bet Balt.!! Well he did so and doubled down until he lost too much. The O's that year started off 0 - 21.!!! One of my most important baseball capping tips is to never bet on a cold team to win or a hot team to loose.( 90% of the time) The betting line will tell you when to buck the trend for the other 10 %. - FYI -Back in the day when the Mets were good and Doc Gooden was pitching there was no $ line.!! The run line.... 2.5-3 runs I once saw a 3-3.5 run line.!! Just think about that we may never see that again.!!.........GL

Quote Originally Posted by CappinTerp View Post
Thinking of the old days : After writing that post about the 1990 WS, it brought back some memories of days past which some may find interesting. The year was 1988 and there was a guy named Benjamin Lee Eckstein who would put out a pitching form with a pick in the NY Daily News. His 1st pick of the new season was Baltimore and they lost so he kept on picking Balt. on and on (every day) for about 12 days. The O's were now 0-12 so now he stopped his daily picks.( the paper got many angry calls) A guy I worked with said now is the time to bet Balt.!! Well he did so and doubled down until he lost too much. The O's that year started off 0 - 21.!!! One of my most important baseball capping tips is to never bet on a cold team to win or a hot team to loose.( 90% of the time) The betting line will tell you when to buck the trend for the other 10 %. - FYI -Back in the day when the Mets were good and Doc Gooden was pitching there was no $ line.!! The run line.... 2.5-3 runs I once saw a 3-3.5 run line.!! Just think about that we may never see that again.!!.........GL
Very true. I've heard some cappers say "they are bound to win" or "they have to lose." But in all honesty, that seems to me like a poor shot at boosting your own morale about that certain play. If you are gonna put money on a sporting event, you better have some concrete evidence to back it up!